Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I always thing immersion is funny cause of these:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ght=buddah7118
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
i want some doors that go swish when they open and close. that is all.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah7118
I always thing immersion is funny cause of these:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...ght=buddah7118
Just forget it, im done trying to make constructive posts.

/end rant
/end thread
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Sir... we have an incoming transmission from the planet.

On Screen.

To any ships in the system, we are in need of aid.. we are currently under att....

The transmission is breaking up Sir....

Helm lay in course to Regius II, standard orbit... Mr. Han, you ahve the Con.

Yes.... Standard Orbit for the win!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castout85 View Post

/end rant
/end thread
dont quit i liked the ideas.!

Id also like to have cutscenes and voices and puzzles and minigames.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Quote:
I agree with your ideas and like them, and thought that most of the responses were positive with a little levity. I hope you continue to write more posts like the one you did. One or two criticisms or opposing posts shouldn't be a reason for you to not do so.

I like the orbit idea. The only drawback is that currently everything but ships is stationary. Nothing moves in STO's space. Everything is stuck in some kind of invisible jello. Eh, it's the best the technology allows, but I can understand why there's no orbiting feature. Still, if they added it in, I would probably use it. As it is, I just stop my ship and sit still with all the rocks and space junk.

STO does lack that immersion feel. It's still more of an arcade game than I would initially prefer for a Star Trek title, but it's still fun anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:

/end rant
/end thread
Dude I was being serious... I dont get how anyone can talk about immersion in a game where your whole ship explodes... everyone dies... then ten seconds later you respawn... THATS a little immersion breaking isnt it? And wtf?? A Trek game without trek music? cmon!
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah7118
Dude I was being serious... I dont get how anyone can talk about immersion in a game where your whole ship explodes... everyone dies... then ten seconds later you respawn... THATS a little immersion breaking isnt it? And wtf?? A Trek game without trek music? cmon!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyV_Pge9NHM
Lt. Commander
# 19 Good Ideas man
02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Ive thought of the 'first person' view a lot as well. I like battling it it out against an epic number of ships, and zooming in to watch the U.S.S. Redonkulous Kick ass and phaser it up. It adds a lil' sugar to my experience. What I thought would be cool, was if you could:

1. PLAYER TO PLAYER INSPECTIONS; How come if I want to look at another players ship, I have to pilot my shiz up to them and try to zoom in, hoping they dont warp away.... Kinda like EVE online has, a little icon that looks like an Eye ball, so you could get an enemies POV as you kick theyre butt. Or Admire someone elses bad@%& ship.

2. EPIC ANGLES ON YOUR ACTIVE SHIP, while you fight; like a cinematic panning camera, mounted by a weapon, tracking the turrets targets? awesome right? Ir maybe an Aft-to-Forefront Camera, looking right over the back of your ship? I think that would make the game seem more personal, like youre piloting the ship.

3. PILOT VIEW, like being inside the bridge, like the orig. post mentioned, or a window view of whats going on outside, like youre inside the saucer of the ship, looking out at a battle. Homeworld CATACLYSM Had a good camera function like that. You could right click a ship, select View>Pilots view. And it would show a first person front mounted camera, (nothing fancy, just a blank screen, matching the ships movement, mounted in front of the guns so you could see them streaming by. It was tight, and seems easy. If Cryptic can make the camera smoothly zoom into the ground troops when they hit C, Making a first person view should be easy. Even if it was a view of the Viewscreen in the bridge, showing you a camera 2 inches off the hull.

BUT THE GAMES AWESOME. Im not knockin it. WoW is a great game in the level progression aspect of MMOs, but its damn boring. For all those people who complain about server downage and complain about cancelling, get another hobby. Helps server downtime pass awesomely. Plus, theres no way they could let a game like this with a fan base so big be a failure. Just cant. GJGUYS
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
- Automated Planet Orbiting

The effect when you fly too close to a planet is awesome, and it adds a nice touch. What I propose is a little pop up box appear down in the bottom right when you get within a certain distance from a planet. The option will say "Enter Orbit". And if clicked will execute a simple line of code that with autopilot the ship around a specified diameter of the object (planet). While some might think this is a silly suggestion, and not at all necessary to play the game, I think it just adds a nice touch of immersion. (Maybe later on an observation deck you can go to on your ship to view the planet while in orbit as well)
I like this idea ALOT!