Ensign
# 1 STF leaver penalties
01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
I prefer to leave stf's rather than afk as a courtesy to the team but am then hit with a leaver penalty. Quite annoying really as up until I have to leave I was contributing as opposed to afk'ing.

Given that cryptic have implemented some kind of monitoring system to solve the afk problem, I'm wondering if the leaver penalty could perhaps be reviewed.

I realise that without a leaver penalty at all that certain fleets and individuals would troll the queues leaving teams in the lurch and generally making life miserable for all so I propose some kind of probation system; leave once and your on probation for an hour rather than instant ban; leave for a second time within the probation period and you get the ban (possibly increasing to 2 hours to prevent alt trolling).

Thoughts?
Captain
# 2
01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
You queued for the match, your obligated to finish the match. Leaver penalty is fair and reasonable.
Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
Captain
# 3
01-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
You queued for the match, your obligated to finish the match. Leaver penalty is fair and reasonable.
Yep, I tend to agree with this - it's basically there as you've caused inconvenience and potential time wasting to your teammates. If you can't comity to half hour to play (at an outside number) don't queue.
Ensign
# 4
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I guess I can see where you're coming from, however it does seem a little harsh?

It's only a game (really, it's only a game) and sometime real life happens, I'm actually trying to do "the right thing" by by team mates and not leach.

Pre afk penalty I could have just hung around and taken rewards for no effort, it's likely I still could just afk if I've contributed enough to the mission before having to leave but choose not to take rewards as I would consider that to be unfair to my team mates.

I guess the question is what is more unfair, leaving my team and take no rewards (leaving another player with the chance to join) or afk and take rewards.

What would you do?
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
01-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhomerdug View Post
I guess the question is what is more unfair, leaving my team and take no rewards (leaving another player with the chance to join) or afk and take rewards.

What would you do?
I would leave and take the penalty. If something pops up urgent enough to call you away (and it happens to me a lot, which explains why I don't do STFs) then by the time you finish it and get back to playing your penalty is probably already half-gone, if not completely. Otherwise, do something else for an hour.
Captain
# 6
01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Quote:
I guess I can see where you're coming from, however it does seem a little harsh?

It's only a game (really, it's only a game) and sometime real life happens, I'm actually trying to do "the right thing" by by team mates and not leach.

Pre afk penalty I could have just hung around and taken rewards for no effort, it's likely I still could just afk if I've contributed enough to the mission before having to leave but choose not to take rewards as I would consider that to be unfair to my team mates.

What would you do?
I agree with the other two posts. Once you agree to join and STF you are onliged to actually see it through as just leaving can upset the ability for the other team members to acheive the optional. If however due to circumstances beyond your control make you have to leave an STF a polite apologetic message to the team may be favoured upon. We're an understanding bunch in STO.
Live long and Prosper
Career Officer
# 7
01-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Quote:
I prefer to leave stf's rather than afk as a courtesy to the team but am then hit with a leaver penalty. Quite annoying really as up until I have to leave I was contributing as opposed to afk'ing.
I prefer to do this myself. I would much rather take the Leaver penalty than receive rewards that I did not fully contribute towards.

Quote:
Given that cryptic have implemented some kind of monitoring system to solve the afk problem, I'm wondering if the leaver penalty could perhaps be reviewed.

I realise that without a leaver penalty at all that certain fleets and individuals would troll the queues leaving teams in the lurch and generally making life miserable for all so I propose some kind of probation system; leave once and your on probation for an hour rather than instant ban; leave for a second time within the probation period and you get the ban (possibly increasing to 2 hours to prevent alt trolling).

Thoughts?
As it stands now, I believe penalties should be account wide to prevent alt hopping. Especially for AFK. As for leaver, while your intentions may be on the up and up... I don't know if must people who leave do so for the same reason. My belief is most leavers are Rage Quits, Oh God someone brought a science vessel to a STF quites, or we lost the optional quits.

I don't think they should get any flexibility in leaving.

If you queue up and can't complete the mission, accept the 1 hour penalty and come back.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Career Officer
# 8
01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Quote:
IIRC going AFK in an event means no rewards and 2 hour queue ban, so AFKing is only hurting yourself even more.
Survivor of Remus
# 9
01-13-2014, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post

well I just created a private match, I got 3 good players from my F list in and 1 totally new guy-just hit 50 from the fleet to show him the STFs (ISE 1st)

and after that he got teh AFK penalty..... he fired almost the same amount of shots than any1 else but his DPS was soooo low compared to the rest that the system shot him into AFK penalty

are you sure that is fair?

sure thing afk penalty is a good thing but HOW it is working is NOT this is scaring away new players for sure

i suggest putting afk penalty away from private ques at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
IIRC going AFK in an event means no rewards and 2 hour queue ban, so AFKing is only hurting yourself even more.

i have prooven otherwise... its also hitting innocents causei ts not working proper

i wonder if its possible to shoot players into afk pan by queing random witth 4 top DPS players

Last edited by scrooge69; 01-13-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Captain
# 10
01-13-2014, 04:36 AM
That penalty is there to discourage elitists who ragequit if the optional is failed. I mean really. Passing or failing the Optionals are only 11 Marks. 11 Marks are not a big deal. And besides, sometimes we simply need Dilithium or something to do, but are online at a time when no one else is online to form a team. So we have no choice but to PUG and try our luck on team mates. So if someone feels the need to ragequit because he missed out on 11 Marks, let them enjoy the hour of not being able to join any queues.

I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III

Click here to view my DeviantArt.