Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Slamz I also don't know what that item is...I also don't know what PBAE stands for.

care to elaborate?

My hats off to Ancillary and the Klingon gent who set up this guide. I also had no idea that this much melee design was put into the game. This is a more detailed melee system (player controlled combos, etc.) than even my "Martial Arts" hero gets in Champions Online (from what I can tell.)

good job Cryptic...now can you had a Drop-kick move or "Double Chop to the neck" so i can fight JUST LIKE Capt. Kirk in TOS? LOL!
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darikgrey View Post
...I also don't know what PBAE stands for.
Point Blank Area Effect
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I hadn't actually tested the martial arts (meaning, unarmed) moves myself yet. I'll make a point of doing that. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks for reposting this as I never have seen it before.

For federation tactical officers what skills would you put points into to increase the Bat'leth effectiveness?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darikgrey View Post
Hey Slamz I also don't know what that item is...I also don't know what PBAE stands for.

care to elaborate?
When I hit a fed wearing this item, it causes a sort of orange circle of light to expand out of him and it's a melee range knockdown that hits all enemies nearby.

I assume it's a quest loot armor or something. Not everyone has it in T1 (though some do) but lots have it in T2.

So basically my combos go like this:

*run up to Fed*
*fed does automatic PBAE knockdown*
*I get back up*
*fed hits me with rifle butt or does some other hold on me*
*hold wears off*
112 - success!
*pulsing knockdown has recharged and hits me again*
*I get back up*

The rifle spam isn't so bad by itself but when combined with that auto-pulsing knockdown device, whatever it is, it's just unreasonable to engage in melee. I have a fully ground-spec'd Tactical and have tried many times to find a way to use my Bat'leth but it just doesn't work on Feds.

It's fine on Klingons, rather ironically. Since we don't get that item, meleeing us is fun and profitable!
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Is there any way you can repost this in the main discussion forum? I really think more people need to see this and not a lot of people come to the starfleet academy.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
When I hit a fed wearing this item, it causes a sort of orange circle of light to expand out of him and it's a melee range knockdown that hits all enemies nearby.

I assume it's a quest loot armor or something. Not everyone has it in T1 (though some do) but lots have it in T2.

So basically my combos go like this:

*run up to Fed*
*fed does automatic PBAE knockdown*
*I get back up*
*fed hits me with rifle butt or does some other hold on me*
*hold wears off*
112 - success!
*pulsing knockdown has recharged and hits me again*
*I get back up*

The rifle spam isn't so bad by itself but when combined with that auto-pulsing knockdown device, whatever it is, it's just unreasonable to engage in melee. I have a fully ground-spec'd Tactical and have tried many times to find a way to use my Bat'leth but it just doesn't work on Feds.

It's fine on Klingons, rather ironically. Since we don't get that item, meleeing us is fun and profitable!
Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. Sometime in Tier 2 there's a quest reward personal shield that has a chance to knockdown nearby enemies when you take damage. And due to the sorry state of Klingon PvE, there probably isn't a corresponding reward for that faction, which is why you don't see it in KvK. Sadly, I don't think there's a workaround besides identifying who has one and only using ranged weapons against them, unless you've got an ability that gives you knockdown resistance.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryum View Post
Thanks for reposting this as I never have seen it before.

For federation tactical officers what skills would you put points into to increase the Bat'leth effectiveness?
Special Forces / Close Combat / Martial Arts. Same as for unarmed combat. Whatever other abilities you find useful to go along with this, improve those skills as well.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen42 View Post
Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. Sometime in Tier 2 there's a quest reward personal shield that has a chance to knockdown nearby enemies when you take damage. And due to the sorry state of Klingon PvE, there probably isn't a corresponding reward for that faction, which is why you don't see it in KvK. Sadly, I don't think there's a workaround besides identifying who has one and only using ranged weapons against them, unless you've got an ability that gives you knockdown resistance.
This is correct. You can actually get several of these through PvE questing and Memory Alpha MIGHT have options for more.

At the moment, the Klingon Empire is gimped beyond belief for gear options, making FvK PvP not even remotely fair. Hopefully this will change in the major patch around a month from now... and you might hope for a system comparable to Memory Alpha as the quickest and most likely way to fix this problem.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahK
Special Forces / Close Combat / Martial Arts. Same as for unarmed combat. Whatever other abilities you find useful to go along with this, improve those skills as well.
Thanks, I can't hardly tell what does what with the skill system.
Closed Thread