Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargonian
Hi,

I am curious why there is a February 1, 2010 deadline for the STO Lifetime membership, which is a date well before most people will even experience the game long enough to be able to make an informed purchasing decision.

It makes sense that a player would need to experience the game for a reasonable amount of time before deciding if a Lifetime subscription is a good fit for them.

I really appreciate your response to this.
$$$

That is all.

EDIT: I wish they'd put some of that $$$ into fixing these damned forums, for god's sake.
Lt. Commander
Hi,

I am curious why there is a February 1, 2010 deadline for the STO Lifetime membership, which is a date well before most people will even experience the game long enough to be able to make an informed purchasing decision.

It makes sense that a player would need to experience the game for a reasonable amount of time before deciding if a Lifetime subscription is a good fit for them.

Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 06:48 PM
They'll still offer the lifetime membership, just as a higher price. As you point out, the lifetime membership will be worth more in a little while. For one thing, right now, your month of free play is useless to a lifetime subscriber. For another thing, Cryptic gets the money later. And last of all, you'll have more information on which to base your decision.

It will be more valuable to you and less valuable to them, and thus will cost more.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Why are items sold for less on Black Friday and not at that price all year long? It's called a sale, and most places with products for sale offer these "sales"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discounts_and_allowances
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargonian
Hi,

Well to me at least it shows a developer unsure of the reception in the months ahead for their product. Why else the deadline? TO get people to bite before the "deadline" with out being able to invest enough time in game to have an informed purchase decision.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain-Disaster
Well to me at least it shows a developer unsure of the reception in the months ahead for their product. Why else the deadline? TO get people to bite before the "deadline" with out being able to invest enough time in game to have an informed purchase decision.
You have to remember, Cryptic really wants that $20 million bonus. To get that, they have to get the game out on time and meet certain revenue targets. The best way to hit those revenue targets is to get as many people as possible to buy lifetime subscriptions before that target window closes. Think of it as Cryptic being in a tight spot that you can take advantage of by getting a lifetime subscription cheap while they still need the money *now*.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
Why are items sold for less on Black Friday and not at that price all year long? It's called a sale, and most places with products for sale offer these "sales"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discounts_and_allowances
Hi St. Sinner, I appreciate your response. I look forward to a future response from you in which you do not completely miss the point of my question.

JoelKatz, thank you, it isn't clear from the web site that the Lifetime membership will be available even after Feb 1 (albeit at a lower price). That was my misunderstanding.

Certain-Disaster, I agree. That's the general perception I had of this limited-time offer.

Thanks everyone!
Lt. Commander
# 8 Correct!!!
02-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certain-Disaster

That is absolutely correct! The only reason you do this is to recoup a portion, no matter how small, of your development costs just in case the game bombs. It shows a level of insecurity by Cryptic to do it this way. There is no other way to look at it. IMHO.

While I've ordered STO Collector's Edition and I'll play and pay the fee, I want to see steady and significant improvement. The lack of Bridge gameplay for me is a HUGE issue for example. But I will give them a chance.

However, don't take this the wrong way. I am rooting for Cryptic! I want STO to be succesful!

MJ 'Lancer VI' Elliott
U.S.S. Battalion
Lieutenant, Commanding
Starfleet Northwest