Lt. Commander
# 1 Gold/Energy Credit Sellers
02-01-2010, 07:49 PM
What is Cryptic's position on buying and selling energy credits?
I am already getting emails from gold sellers What can I do to help stop them?

If indeed Cryptic cares at all about the quality of their economy. I understand it's probably a hard thing to decide for a game company.

So what will it be Cryptic are you willing to sacrifice your paying players quality of gaming for Chinese gold sellers subscription money or what?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not really sure what you're getting at with quality of game ... but, if you receive a gold seller spam in game you can right click the persons name and report them. In your forum mailbox there is no option to report gold sellers. Hopefully it will be added in the future as I have received PM's from gold sellers the last three days in a row.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
you are not sure what i am getting at?
When money is devalued because it is flooding the market and items prices skyrocket on the exchange.
When hordes of farmers take over the fleet actions and farm them 24/7.
Are you starting to see where I'm getting at yet?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Not really -- but my opinion isn't very important in the grand scheme of things. Report them and, if enough people do so, they will be banned.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think you have experienced an MMO destroyed by gold sellers. Anybody who played **** can tell you they own entire areas of the game. Quests can't be completed and resources can't be harvested because scores of gold farmers choke entire areas.

I also played WoW and both my wife and I never bought gold but had each of our accounts compromised and everything taken from us and used to fuel the gold selling machine.

These are things that will happen no matter what of course but if the community works together as they do in LOTRO where gold selling is a minor problem, because the community rejects them and reports them, then we can nip the problem in the bud as much as is possible.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
This isn't a loot centric game and there really isn't much of a player economy. Although annoying, gold sellers aren't going to devalue the economy or kill the game. As far as what Cryptic is doing...well, heck. I already made comments on the OTHER threads about this same issue. I can understand that you feel your opinion matters, but so much that it deserves another thread smacks of egoism. Anyways, what do you want Cryptic to do? Instead of stomping your feet and demanding action, give suggestions.

Ever since BlackWolf started selling gold in EQ (if not earlier) gold sellers and power leveling companies have been a problem. EQ sued BlackWolf, and it didn't do any good. A GM in POTBS caught a gold farmer in action and teleported him into a PvP circle, announcing what he had done. Although cathartic and funny as hell, it didn't accomplish anything. Many of these companies are in China, or 3rd world countries where Western countries hold little influence. What should Cryptic do? Assemble a squad of highly trained mercenaries to track them down and kill them? I dunno, kill enough CEOs of enough gold farming companies and you might just close them down. Or, they'll hire their own mercenaries.

Crap. Turns out the A-Team ISN"T the answer to all of life's problems!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Yikes calm down a bit there.
First off I didn't see any OTHER thread. I was honestly surprised to not see one.
Second I am not stomping my proverbial feet I was hoping to garner an official position from Cryptic and some word on mail spam and what they plan to implement towards that end. I want to be constructive and help get rid of these gold sellers I just wanted to hear that Cryptic cares about this issue too.
Why in the hell does every thread turn into attacking the poster for what they should or should not be doing/saying.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigrith
Why in the hell does every thread turn into attacking the poster for what they should or should not be doing/saying.
Because every thread is often a repeat of 10 or 15 other threads just like it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post

Ever since BlackWolf started selling gold in EQ (if not earlier) gold sellers and power leveling companies have been a problem. EQ sued BlackWolf, and it didn't do any good. A GM in POTBS caught a gold farmer in action and teleported him into a PvP circle, announcing what he had done. Although cathartic and funny as hell, it didn't accomplish anything. Many of these companies are in China, or 3rd world countries where Western countries hold little influence. What should Cryptic do? Assemble a squad of highly trained mercenaries to track them down and kill them? I dunno, kill enough CEOs of enough gold farming companies and you might just close them down. Or, they'll hire their own mercenaries.

Crap. Turns out the A-Team ISN"T the answer to all of life's problems!
Well, this saved me a good ten minutes.

The only thing I can add to this is that Cryptic is likely going to be doing the same thing every other MMO on the market does: Everything they can, and pray it's enough. And look for ways to do more whenever possible.

Not much more they can do, to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
How about blocking IPs from the geographic regions where most of the farming companies operate? :p
Create multiple shards and keep the Asian (if, in fact, that is the physical location of the farms) off the shard of the 'western' players.