Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
there is actually another thread about this. and not only that, it was a dev post. and not only that, it was stickied.
i'm not sure where exactly you were looking, but it's RIGHT HERE:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96466
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I have gotten a ton of private messages offering gold spam already... its pretty annyoying.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigrith
What is Cryptic's position on buying and selling energy credits?
I am already getting emails from gold sellers What can I do to help stop them?

If indeed Cryptic cares at all about the quality of their economy. I understand it's probably a hard thing to decide for a game company.

So what will it be Cryptic are you willing to sacrifice your paying players quality of gaming for Chinese gold sellers subscription money or what?
If you would of search the forums you would notice the post by a dev, saying anyone caught buying or selling gold will be banned. and the want players to report the spammer so they can bann them

what they feel about ferengi smugglers aka gold spammers

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...76#post1852576
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus_Tirion
How about blocking IPs from the geographic regions where most of the farming companies operate? :p
Create multiple shards and keep the Asian (if, in fact, that is the physical location of the farms) off the shard of the 'western' players.
Wow. Thank God you don't run Cryptic's banhammer department. I don't care how 'true' your statement is, it's incredibly prejudiced. The other thing to keep in mind too is that if people didn't buy gold/credits/whathaveyou, then there would be no need for the sellers to exist. So by your logic, maybe we should ban the IP's of the geographic regions that buy credits? After all, the buyers are breaking as much of the EULA as the sellers are.

Seriously, please think before proposing such draconian measures.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamui View Post
What should Cryptic do? Assemble a squad of highly trained mercenaries to track them down and kill them? I dunno, kill enough CEOs of enough gold farming companies and you might just close them down.
Look now people this is the kind of constructive criticism that I'd like to see more people using on the forums. I suggest we band to together and hire a company willing to kill anybody to get the job done> To that end I'd like to suggest Blackwater. Blackwater has already demonstrated their dedication to killing anyone in Iraq and I feel with them none of the farmers or CEOs will remain alive. Now then, what does the rest of the forum think? Any suggestions for a good mercenary company other then the one I suggested?
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapaveza View Post
I'm not really sure what you're getting at with quality of game ... but, if you receive a gold seller spam in game you can right click the persons name and report them. In your forum mailbox there is no option to report gold sellers. Hopefully it will be added in the future as I have received PM's from gold sellers the last three days in a row.
If you go to the mail system in game you can report the spam PMs there and also add them to your ignore list.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Lil' bored atm, so I'm going to play a little 'Devil's Advocate' here... please don't take it too seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaarjaren View Post
I don't care how 'true' your statement is, it's incredibly prejudiced.
Make up your mind.
Was my statement true or was it prejudice. Can't really be both.. Truth knows no prejudice.

Quote:
The other thing to keep in mind too is that if people didn't buy gold/credits/whathaveyou, then there would be no need for the sellers to exist.
And if people didn't buy drugs, there'd be no drug dealers

But.. people do. So instead of wishing they didn't, suggest a way to cut off the source.

Quote:
So by your logic, maybe we should ban the IP's of the geographic regions that buy credits? After all, the buyers are breaking as much of the EULA as the sellers are.
The question posed was how to deal with the sellers, not the buyers

Quote:
Seriously, please think before proposing such draconian measures.
Seriously, please be constructive, not destructive.
Instead of simply attacking someone's suggestion (However Draconian it may have been). Contribution and suggest another method of making things harder for the farmers. (Other then 'wishing' people wouldn't buy from them.)

PS. Anyone still reading this nonsense, please scroll back and notice that my original Draconian suggestion was followed with a "stick tongue out " emoticon. Which is fairly well understood to mean "I'm having fun, don't take this too seriously"
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Gold spammers already... I hope cryptic bans the accounts of gold spammers and don't give them a refund on the subscription fee.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigrith
Yikes calm down a bit there.
First off I didn't see any OTHER thread. I was honestly surprised to not see one.
Second I am not stomping my proverbial feet I was hoping to garner an official position from Cryptic and some word on mail spam and what they plan to implement towards that end. I want to be constructive and help get rid of these gold sellers I just wanted to hear that Cryptic cares about this issue too.
Why in the hell does every thread turn into attacking the poster for what they should or should not be doing/saying.
He says, after insinuating I was overly and possibly irrationally excited. The tone of my message was, at best, lackadaisical. Instead of taking some lessons from it, such as using the search button or maybe looking a few posts down, you decided it was an attack and THUS must be met in kind. And THAT is why every thread turns into an attack. Because when someone offers another advice they get offended and think they're being attacked, or they are being attacked and rather then letting it bounce off become defensive.

Note, please, that I am not 'attacking back', simply answering your question.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 11:51 PM
You can always try eve's solution to the problem of RMT (real money traders).

When you buy a 30 day subscription, you are actually buying an in-game item called a pilot license extension (PLEX for short). You can either activate this license, meaning you will get your 30 day extension, or you sell it on the in-game market to an other player.

The other player buys your PLEX in exchange for in-game money (ISK in eve), and either activates it for a 30 day extension or resells it to someone else (in that case the second player is a market maker providing liquidity to the PLEX market).

PLEX can not be destroyed, so eventually it will get used to extends someone's subscription. Therefor no in-game money is entering the system keeping the economy intact. Also no extra real money is entering the game company (the number of subscriptions remain the same), so the game company will not have extra taxable income, nor has it to act like a real-live bank.

Because PLEX are directly coupled to subscriptions there is a maximum number of PLEX that can be brought into the game before its price will plummet (and making it not useful to actually sell your PLEX on the market, raising the prices again), so it gets a sort of equilibrium. Right now in eve online a PLEX is worth around 250 mil ISK. To get around 250 mil ISK for a 1 year old player he has to run 1 mission (missions are on average an hour work) per day for about a month.

This system seems right now perfect for both the casual players who sell their PLEX for money and for the hardcore gamer that gets his subscription subsidized with it. The hardcore player is also the person who will increase the number of items in the game, driving item prices down on the market, so it is good to award him physically for his efforts.

It probably needs a big in game economy to function correctly though.