Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Great stories, poor execution.
02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Was running through some cluster exporation. Had a story about some murders on a planet. Only the children were being left alive. I was requested to investigate.

Such a great begining to a ST story. I beam down to the planet and I find some nice terain and buildings with nothing else. Instead of having NPC's to talk to and investigate a good story. I just scan noncorporeal entities and find out a reference to James T Kirk and Gorgans that need children to survive.

It would have been nice to use the buildings and ask questions to local NPC's. Follow some clues to find out what was going on. Then finding a way to stop it to complete the quest.

I hope someday they add in NPC life on these planets instead of scan 4 "x" and beam out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylan
Was running through some cluster exporation. Had a story about some murders on a planet. Only the children were being left alive. I was requested to investigate.

Such a great begining to a ST story. I beam down to the planet and I find some nice terain and buildings with nothing else. Instead of having NPC's to talk to and investigate a good story. I just scan noncorporeal entities and find out a reference to James T Kirk and Gorgans that need children to survive.

It would have been nice to use the buildings and ask questions to local NPC's. Follow some clues to find out what was going on. Then finding a way to stop it to complete the quest.

I hope someday they add in NPC life on these planets instead of scan 4 "x" and beam out.
.... what do you think this is, a BioWare RPG? :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh800 View Post
.... what do you think this is, a BioWare RPG? :p
I know, I know, too much to ask to have a bit of RPG investigation in a pew pew game.

It would be nice for a few down the road somewhere though. Some of the planets do look nice when you beam down. They really could do a lot given enough time. I guess they should just work on stability then the extras.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylan
I know, I know, too much to ask to have a bit of RPG investigation in a pew pew game.

It would be nice for a few down the road somewhere though. Some of the planets do look nice when you beam down. They really could do a lot given enough time. I guess they should just work on stability then the extras.
Your Avatar reminds me of the ships from IWar ... god I loved that game. /sob
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Honestly I dont understand why people keep saying stuff like "what? you expected it to be like a single player RPG?" MMOs need to evolve. ALL games of this type need stories, good rich interesting stories and MMOs are no exception. I know its never really been done but dont they keep saying "where no MMO has gone before"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulcebar View Post
Honestly I dont understand why people keep saying stuff like "what? you expected it to be like a single player RPG?" MMOs need to evolve. ALL games of this type need stories, good rich interesting stories and MMOs are no exception. I know its never really been done but dont they keep saying "where no MMO has gone before"?
The thing is that to have an MMO that is at the single player RPG level would require a LOT of work. Not to mention single player RPGs are based off of the idea that you're one person and everything else is your landscape. It kills the mood when every 5 mins you see an NPC yelling, "Three cheers for [insert player name], the savior of So-and-So!"

BioWare has been setting a lot of standards of the years as far as RPGs go, but even I'm skeptical about their SW:ToR. Hopeful, mind you ... but still skeptical. MMOs just seem like completely different creatures than a normal RPG.

When you think of things like Oblivion, Stalker, Fallout, ect. you don't really find many places where other people would be welcomed or worked in who aren't NPCs. Plus making expansions for the blood thirsty player base would be very time consuming and expensive. As a business model it's not great. From an art and player view it's a damn good idea. Unfortunately most of the really innovative and quality game developers have either gone under or lost their innovative developers.

I mean damn, do you know how many old school awesome developers are selling out just to make a living? I don't fault them, either. They can make ground breaking games but usually at a loss or small profit which would expand the industry but sink a developer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh800 View Post
The thing is that to have an MMO that is at the single player RPG level would require a LOT of work. Not to mention single player RPGs are based off of the idea that you're one person and everything else is your landscape. It kills the mood when every 5 mins you see an NPC yelling, "Three cheers for [insert player name], the savior of So-and-So!"

BioWare has been setting a lot of standards of the years as far as RPGs go, but even I'm skeptical about their SW:ToR. Hopeful, mind you ... but still skeptical. MMOs just seem like completely different creatures than a normal RPG.

When you think of things like Oblivion, Stalker, Fallout, ect. you don't really find many places where other people would be welcomed or worked in who aren't NPCs. Plus making expansions for the blood thirsty player base would be very time consuming and expensive. As a business model it's not great. From an art and player view it's a damn good idea. Unfortunately most of the really innovative and quality game developers have either gone under or lost their innovative developers.

I mean damn, do you know how many old school awesome developers are selling out just to make a living? I don't fault them, either. They can make ground breaking games but usually at a loss or small profit which would expand the industry but sink a developer.
I am looking forword to SW:TOR just to see how it works out with the story as the main drive of the game. But that is not what I was looking for.

They could have had an NPC next to the 1st building on the planet. Just like in an earlier mission. Just someone to talk to instead of a picture and the con quest text.

I understand why it works the way it does. It is the genesis program creating random planets with short quest stories and 4 or 5 items to scan. It would just be nice to have fleshed out quests for exploration. Not just the missions. The missions do have stories and are fun. Is it to much to ask for exploration to have just as much as missions do?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 PM.