Lt. Commander
So this dude is telling me that the destruction was more than 500 Light Years long. Diameter?
Then he says it affected more than a dozen systems, most notably Romulan. What?

Now lets take this into perspective...

Voyager was lost 70,000 light years away. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years across.
If Voyager went the whole way without all those shortcuts it would take roughly 70 years. (this already obliterates so much other lore in Star Trek like getting to the center of the Galaxy, all the maps we see where the Federation takes up like a fourth of the galaxy when it would only take up a tiny dot in a pic of the galaxy, etc).
So this thing did like half a year's worth of travel. However both Hobus and Romulus are in this game and kind of close. 500 light years in that quote in the mission "Heading Out" is just waaaaay too big if both Hobus and Romulus are in the same sector (which they are in this).

Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
So this dude is telling me that the destruction was more than 500 Light Years long. Diameter?
Then he says it affected more than a dozen systems, most notably Romulan. What?

Now lets take this into perspective...

Voyager was lost 70,000 light years away. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years across.
If Voyager went the whole way without all those shortcuts it would take roughly 70 years. (this already obliterates so much other lore in Star Trek like getting to the center of the Galaxy, all the maps we see where the Federation takes up like a fourth of the galaxy when it would only take up a tiny dot in a pic of the galaxy, etc).
So this thing did like half a year's worth of travel. However both Hobus and Romulus are in this game and kind of close. 500 light years in that quote in the mission "Heading Out" is just waaaaay too big if both Hobus and Romulus are in the same sector (which they are in this).

more like 2-3 light years Hobus is rather close to Romulus, and there was something not natural about the Nova which was pushing the blast into subspace...ie the Nova was traveling about warp 1-2 but the source of the subspace power was near the Heart of the Blast so that's why the Blackhole stopped it.

Also this happened before in star trek history, http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tkon_Empire see that page, and then think about how a massive Star Empire could die because of a Nova...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Warp 1 is light speed.

But I know the history behind it. I'm just saying Cryptic's 500 Light Year thing is just not compatible with what's in game or anything in Star Trek (no way could Spock have gotten there if it's 500 Light Years away!).

But yeah, you're right. Hobus had to be really close.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Warp 1 is light speed.

But I know the history behind it. I'm just saying Cryptic's 500 Light Year thing is just not compatible with what's in game or anything in Star Trek (no way could Spock have gotten there if it's 500 Light Years away!).

But yeah, you're right. Hobus had to be really close.
Actually it didn't. For reasons unknown the blast traveled through subspace.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofftillman View Post
Actually it didn't. For reasons unknown the blast traveled through subspace.
The Hobus incident is greatly expanded on in game so people will get answers
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 01:40 AM
Oh for the love of crap. Why are you telling me useless information? I know it traveled through subspace.

READ THESE WORDS! USE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS! I WILL USE CAPITAL LETTERS TO HELP YOU UNDERSTAND!

I AM ONLY SAYING THAT IT'S IMPOSSIBLE THAT THE THING IS 500 LIGHT YEARS LONG. IT SAID IT IS IN STO HOWEVER THAT'S FREAKIN' IMPOSSIBLE. FOR ONE HOBUS IS RIGHT NEXT TO ROMULUS IN THIS GAME. 500 LIGHT YEARS IS HALF A YEARS TRAVEL AT HIGH WARP. 500 LIGHT YEARS IS VERY VERY FAR AWAY WHICH HOBUS IS NOT (SINCE IT'S RIGHT BY ROMULUS).

I'M JUST TALKING ABOUT THE DISTANCE!!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
OMGosh it's doing it again. I'm doing the mission where you go to Hobus. They're saying AGAIN that Romulus is 500 light years away. That's half a year's travel at warp for the USS Voyager. Yet Romulus is just less than a sector's distance away (though in the next one).