Lt. Commander
We at all out assault have easy to follow posters of ALL of the items that can be created and there requirements by the current research system, if you would like to look at them click here. We have discovered that all of the tool tips for items have traits that will vary depending on who views them. This is appears to be dependent upon the rank and current ship class of the viewer. While this will not effect the EC value of the items, it will effect stats such as shield strength and turn rates, etc...

This has no effect on advancing your crafting that we can see. However, if you intend on having one of these items made, be sure to have the crafter link the item to you first to make certain that it will have the stats you desire.

Update (4th Feb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic patch notes
The scientists on Memory Alpha were expecting you to purchase far too many upgrades before they would allow you to speak to the next scientist. Players will now find that other scientists will unlock after purchasing a moderate amount of products (based on the item values).

A Mailbox, Exchange, and Bank have been added to Memory Alpha.
My Data is current and applies to this new patch.

I would like to thank everyone at All out Assault for getting me the materials for this trial, i couldn't have done it without my fleet members help. I would also like to thank all the kind people who replied to this thread with feed back and new helpful tips! Without your help this thread would not be as good as it is. Please post your questions in a reply to this thread, i am afraid i do not have time to answer indvidual PM's Please feel free to contribute your research to ours, every little helps to further prove or disprove our theories.

Basics

To Start Crafting you must accept a mission from Admiral Quinn called "scientific Mandate" then you must find an NPC called E'Genn who can be found in the middle of Sol Starbase. He gives you a sample to take to Romaine at Memory Alpha. Talk to Romaine and she asks you to put the sample in a flashing console which is near her, do this, then speak to her again. the mission should now complete and you can upgrade certain stuff from her with the data samples you have collected.

There are three tiers of crafting

Tier 1:
Lt Commander Romaine (Mk II items)
Tier 2:
Ensign Marissa Roet, Engineering (Mk IV and VI items)
Zara Dren, Science (Mk IV and VI items)
Lt Commander Anichent, Tactical (Mk IV and VI Items)
Tier 3:
Lt kirayoshi O'Brien. Engineering (Mk VIII to X items)
Commander Jher Gwenn. Science (Mk VIII to X items)
Commander Sharn. Tactical (Mk VIII to X items)

The Tier 2 and Tier 3 NPC's are not exclusive to a class which this list above might imply, they simply lean towards one of the three classes each, the only items in their stores that are 'dependant' on class are the kits, for example, Marissa Roet has a variety of items in her store, engines, personal shields but she only has Engineering Kits.

The values in the item descriptions change depending on your ship/character stats. use these posters as a guide then go and look first hand to check.

There are six grades of data samples(the anomalies from space/ground), each grade being a different colour , each grade has a physical, energy and technological. To see what they all look like, look here Getting correct grade samples you need seems to depend on the player level the area you look in was intended for, basically, the harder the area the higher grade the samples could be. For farming of samples, please consult this guide being written by Captain_windle: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=115026

Energy:
1 - Radiation Sample (pinky red)
2 - Antimatter Sample (light blue)
3 - Tetryon Particle (light green)
4 - Methogenic Particle (dark blue)
5 - Tachyon Wave Signature ( funky yellow)
6 - Chronometric Wave Signature (bright purple.)

Physical:
1 - Mineral Sample
2 - Biological Sample
3 - Plasma Sample
4 - DNA Sequence
5 - Exobiological Data
6 - Unidentified Substance

Technological:
1 - Alien Artefact
2 - Unknown Alloy
3 - Encoded Data
4 - Genetic Sequencer
5 - Photonic Technology
6 - Technical Schematic

The only other requirement other than the different combinations of the data samples above is the base item that is going to be upgraded. E.G to make a large hypo, you need a medium hypo and 2 Radiation Samples, 2 Alien Artifacts and 2 Mineral samples. All the base items required for all tiers, all classes are common (white) items.

Getting to tier 2 (research ended)

To get to tier two it seems if you purchase enough items so their value exceeds 6500 Energy Credits you will get to tier 2. Just buying 5 Mk II phaser arrays from Romaine, (5 common Phaser Mk II and as little as 75 red data samples and 30 light blue data samples) is sufficient. You can buy Phaser Beam Arrays Mk II from Sol Starbasev as well as other required components like kits. Medium Hypos can be bought at Andoria. This seems to work perfectly for most cases but i have sparce reports of it not doing so, it is still under investigation why this is. it seemed from one report it was fixed by just logging out then in.

There is no notification you have accomplished anything (yet), i just checked the next tier scientist every few transactions, when you have unlocked the next tier a store option is available at the NPC of the next tier. Going from tier two to tier 3 only unlocks the tier 3 scientist for that class. So buying stuff only from Tactical tier 2 will only unlock tactical tier 3. This research is detailed in the posts in this thread and in the spreadsheet i link below.

Getting to tier three (still under research)

I have a spreadsheet linked Here documenting everything i am spending, and all the other research i am recieving from fleet members and fellow forum posters.

"To get to tier three please red below, this is the most current data. The amounts may sound steep but the items you make are worth a lot. There is no dependency on the amount of any data sample you have given to romaine or the other scientists that can be seen from the data.

Update: (22/2/10) I am pretty sure it is item value for tier 2-->3 as well. It seems to have little or no dependance on samples or types of item you purchase. if there is any sort of dependace it is small and easily achieved on the way to getting an item value high enough. As for the exact item values this is still to be determined. So far it is looking like 100k for tactical (anichent) and about 400k for Roet and Dren (Engineering and science respectively).

Update: (17/2/10) Some more data from you folks and still not seeing a definite pattern, i have made a combined data table for each target (romaine, roet, dren, anichent) if people fancy taking a look and let me know what you think.

Update: (11/2/10) recently i had a play with all the data in my spreadsheet and it is looking like it could also be somehow dependant on the green samples, but it also looks like there could be a random element to it. the closest correlation is in the specific green sample the class of scientist asks for the most, for example Zara Dren asks for Plasma samples a lot more than any other green sample. The reason i say there might be a random element is that even though there apears to be a relationship the variation is still bigger than if it was a specific number. There is multiple cases of no dependacy on the dark blue samples, at least two players got to tier three of a class wothout using a single dark blue sample.

All theories welcome! please have a look at the data in my spreadsheet if you want to check evidence, there are 10's of sheets of data. If you want to contribute then please post your info here!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Okay, this is great information but your post is missing one thing ... WHAT WAS THE RESULT???

I assume that you're saying this is what it took to unlock and use someone other than Romaine. But your post doesn't actually say that. Please clarify.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseSandwich View Post
Ok, i have spent a lot of time flying back and forth from sol/memory alpha and I have new information to share on crafting at memory alpha. First of all i would like to thank everyone at All out Assault for getting me the materials for this trial, i couldn't have done it without my fleet members help.

1. you do not need to carry the crafting materials in your inventory, you can give them to romaine whilst they are still in your bank. (this was also the case in champions online)
2. you do not need to buy one of every item

I do not know if this is the definite number but I completed 28 transactions. to see what i spent consult here, but to paraphrase i did not just spam hypos, i bought at least one of nearly everything
Do I get access to the other "scientists/crafters" after I traded for to me by now rather useless data?

I am Commander already, the pimped Tier 2 stuff is not really useful to me. I really wonder how much more of this stuff I have to trade in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseSandwich View Post
1. you do not need to carry the crafting materials in your inventory, you can give them to romaine whilst they are still in your bank. (this was also the case in champions online)
2. you do not need to buy one of every item
Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the info, fellow Scouser.

I too would be interested in those follow-up questions being answered.

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 01:22 AM
The first thing is a really really important information, thanks that will save much space in my inventory .
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapaveza View Post
Okay, this is great information but your post is missing one thing ... WHAT WAS THE RESULT???

I assume that you're saying this is what it took to unlock and use someone other than Romaine. But your post doesn't actually say that. Please clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc
Do I get access to the other "scientists/crafters" after I traded for to me by now rather useless data?

I am Commander already, the pimped Tier 2 stuff is not really useful to me. I really wonder how much more of this stuff I have to trade in.
Yes sorry, it was a long night! the result was unlocking the next tier of crafting, this lets you upgrade Mk III, IV, V and VI items. it unlocks three more scientists, one for each of engineering/science/tactical. i will update my main post.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Actually, this is the most informative and useful post that I've read in a long time on this forum.

Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 02:49 AM
I know this may sound silly but how did you know the next tier was available? Do you get a notification or you just manually checked after each transaction?

Thank you for your efforts here. It would be nice if the game itself would explain how you do this really, as there is a certain mystery surrounding a lot of things you see and find in this game
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangrilia View Post
Actually, this is the most informative and useful post that I've read in a long time on this forum.

Thank you!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
I know this may sound silly but how did you know the next tier was available? Do you get a notification or you just manually checked after each transaction?

Thank you for your efforts here. It would be nice if the game itself would explain how you do this really, as there is a certain mystery surrounding a lot of things you see and find in this game
Actually there was no notification, no accolade, i literally just went and spoke to a tier 2 scientist and i could buy stuff from her. i wil put this in my original post, thanks.