Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 21
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I think the KDF is finally going in the right direction. A year or so ago (I'm ashamed to admit) I was all aboard the EMO/"Disenchanted" bandwagon. I still think the KDF needs more ships, but I also think the faction has been growing just from looking at the players I meet all over PvE and on stations like DS9, etc. (Anyone have any numbers or stats I could use to confirm this?)

If true - I can see a few reasons for this:

A - The old KDF farm joke holds true, but I think more players are 'getting' it - you DO get more stuff. Dil, contraband, marauding missions for gear/or to sell for EC.

B - I think the free carrier from the Sphere of Influence got a LOT of FED players that couldnt get an Atrox or Jem Dread more "Carrier Curious". IMO - who wants to blow Zen on an Atrox or whatever for a carrier with shuttle pets that look like friggin milk cartons when you can have BoPs for the ultimate in nasty damage? HONESTLY?! I also think new carrier enthusiasts crapped there pants when they found out about Orion Slavers and said "WHAT!!!??? These things shoot AND give you contraband!!!???" (Yeah sure, they arent what they used to be, but I still get some nice loot from them in PvE from time to time). Mirror Vo'Quvs are cheap on the exchange and DAMN deadly.

C - Raiders. I think the free Breen Raider is going to do the same thing for Feds as the Obelisk has done for the "Carrier Curious". I've been rocking it out with DEVESTATING results with that flanking bonus and enjoyed it so much I finally shelled out the Zen for the B'rel. Enhanced Battle Cloak . . . WOW! I now know the coolness of a Torp Boat, and my god I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner - and my main KDF toon is an ENG!

D - Lastly, I think that KDFers will see an even bigger increase sooner than later just because of fleet marks. Its great to belong to a max'd tier fleet and the FEDS have loads of them brimming with members - but there is an issue here. More and more FED players I talk to are getting frustrated trying to compete for fleet contributions. Its nice to have everything unlocked - but there is a majority of players/fleets that can't get on fast enough to donate there marks for fleet credits. ERGO - so few can actually BUY THE GEAR. KDF ftw on that one - there are TONS of fleets with plenty of room to grow and get gear. How many of you would donate blood for an Elite BoP carrier pet? I would! Almost there though.

Overall - I find the KDF has some great dynamics as well as a great community and it seems to be getting better. Some of us just hung on longer than those of you just discovering it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Yes there have been improvements on the KDf side of things. No question.
But there's still a lot to do.

After searching a bit for the different reasons people don't play KDF I've come up with these:
Location/Ambience:
- Starting area (Qo'noS first city) is a depressing and confusing place. Takes a lot more time to get accustomed to. Yes, it should be kinda dark and gritty instead of pretty, but actually it's more or less just ugly (yes, subjective). At the very least the map needs more markers and color coding to help players get around.
- Klingon Academy is very bland and boring

Sympathies:
- The KDF leader is a stubborn warmonger who just happens to have murdered one well known and popular character of the TV show (Martok)
- Another popular character (Worf) has been treated badly so far. This has improved with sphere of influence and the Mogh, but before that it felt like he was an outcast.
At least for me, the KDF is lacking some real honor and cool characters. I don't like the leader, and sometimes they look more like trigger happy morons than Klingons.

Cosmetics:
- Too few costume options in the store

Ship costs and variety:
- There are no vice admiral zen store versions of the Negh'Var and Vor'cha! Do I have to say more? Galaxy has one, Sovereign has one, Akira has one, Intrepid has one.. hell, even the Nebula has a VA version!
I'd like to see a special Heavy Disruptor Beam as equipment for either Vor'Cha or Negh'Var, plus an additional console for the other ship, as a two piece set. Similar to the Ar'Kif/Ar'Kala.
The KDF doesn't have that many ships to choose from to begin with, and even then many fleet ships don't have a VA version that reduces the fleet ship module costs.

All in all I think the KDf can be made a lot more attractive. It mustn't become a second Federation. It has to be different. But those different aspects have to be interesting and cool. Not just dark and red'ish.
Commander
# 23
01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcjet View Post
Sympathies:
- The KDF leader is a stubborn warmonger who just happens to have murdered one well known and popular character of the TV show (Martok)
- Another popular character (Worf) has been treated badly so far. This has improved with sphere of influence and the Mogh, but before that it felt like he was an outcast.
At least for me, the KDF is lacking some real honor and cool characters. I don't like the leader, and sometimes they look more like trigger happy morons than Klingons.
I'm with you on most of what you said - but if I'm being honest, I get really frustrated sometimes when I hear about how people would rather play FED because they don't like the political story of the KDF. I realize that isn't entirely what you were trying to say, but I've heard it on a few other threads before and I need to vent about it.

Here is my question to all the FEDS out there that wont play KDF for this reason:

Without looking it up on sto.wiki - do you even KNOW who the current president of the Federation is?

You're going to anyway so I'll answer it for you - it's Aennik Okeg - but I'd bet a million Zen you didn't know or TOTALLY forgot.

What race is he?

Again - you guys are going to look it up on sto.wiki anyway so I'll spoil it again: He is a Saurian.

Sure J'mpok may have killed Martok (I liked him too) - but at least you remember him as he is not only more involved in the game than bird brain is, but he's actually DONE stuff with cannon Trek. Just sayin.

Last edited by solidshatner; 01-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Commander
# 24
01-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Additionaly, the whole KDF honour thing . . . yeah there is merit in talking about it. The game doesn't really have a mechanic for it at the moment, but I can make the same claim of the Federation.

They seem to have an awesome warmachine-arsenal of destruction compared to other factions (I really dont want this to turn into a whine-fest about 'Feds have more gear') BUT . . . for a group of EXPLORERS who's only purpose is to work for the betterment of all species - they sure meet there mandates with a lot of GUNS.

Again, just sayin.

Last edited by solidshatner; 01-07-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Captain
# 25
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
It also had pretty balanced stats though as well, like a .83 shield mod I believe, like a raptor. So it took a legitimate hit for it's BC. Heh, I remember when the Romulan vet ship came out, and people griped at how 'underpowered' it was because the devs actually DID balance it out in regards to the other two ships.
Touche. Then again, it does fill a very interesting niche - the only non-BoP M/AM ship with battle cloak built in. Too bad it's a vet ship - I could never cough up that cash.
PvP-ready toons: Ishmael - Betazoid Sci - Vesta - U.S.S. Yukikaze - The unsinkable destroyer - T'Scurr - Romulan Tac - Mogai - I.R.W. Archer - Countervape overwatch - Ffairl - Romulan Sci - T'Varo - R.R.W. Yuudachi - The nightmare of Solomon

Take it easy!
Lieutenant
# 26
01-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidshatner View Post
/snip - just sayin.
Ah hahaha

The concept of KDF honor is nothing but fuel for fed tears in Ker'rat.
Never gets old when a fed screams about KDF nohonorcloakhax then turns around and makes a thread about feds needing BC.

But on a more serious note, the KDF does seem to be on the upswing despite many claiming there is no reason to make one. I see alot more traffic in KDF zones these days. Of course I never rolled a rom so no telling what their zones look like.

I would wager that a great deal of money was thrown at cryptic when the Mogh dropped so hopefully we will see another C-store ship released soon. Maybe this time it will be something we have all been asking for instead of a Fed rehash. But hey, as long as it looks as nasty cool as the Mogh its all good.
Karrock/Karreck/Darth Karrock/Unspoken/Sellout/Sejanus

HoBO / SVK Elite
Empire Veteran
# 27
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
Touche. Then again, it does fill a very interesting niche - the only non-BoP M/AM ship with battle cloak built in. Too bad it's a vet ship - I could never cough up that cash.
It's a decent ship. I'd argue the Rom and Klingon one is better due to the BC, but the Fed one has the hull and shields to stay in the game better.

A2B, or a more sci-heavy set-up is really what you need though, otherwise any of them tend to fall flat.

Rihannsu
# 28
01-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsharp View Post
But on a more serious note, the KDF does seem to be on the upswing despite many claiming there is no reason to make one. I see alot more traffic in KDF zones these days. Of course I never rolled a rom so no telling what their zones look like.
Elbow room only.

J/K but I always see peeps in every Romulan social zone.... and Romulan ships in every space map.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Rihannsu
# 29
01-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Elbow room only.

J/K but I always see peeps in every Romulan social zone.... and Romulan ships in every space map.
most of them scimitars, of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Klingons use bathtubs as a severe form punishment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkirkfan View Post
"You sniveling petaQ!!! If you are late for your shift one more time, you will spend two hours in the bathtub!!."

"WITH SOAP!!"
Career Officer
# 30
01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Since the recent upgrades Qo'Nos and First City are full constantly now. Ganalda isn't but there's no real reason to go there anyways.

I will say the KDF has come along way. Its not perfect but now I'd argue its a good alternative to the Federation now.