Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofoxable
Thank you kindly. I'm guessing none of the items are endgame stuff?
beats me, havent played that game in a while, i just dropped by there yesterday to check out the new expansion ... but the stats on some of the stuff look halfway decent ...

Quote:
Playable races ARE vanity items. It's just a skin.
exactly
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Anyone know if Cryptic is doing well financially? I mean, maybe the company is on the brink of bankruptcy? That would explain the need to milk as much money as possible from the players.
No other MMO in the world right now cost as much as Star Trek Online (over a year and if you buy from the C-store). That is if they release a pay-for expansion this year, which many are sure they will...

I have a hard time believing that this greed and lack of morals that we are seeing are without a cause.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 02:49 AM
On top of that, it's a skin you can get with the "Alien" option for free.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 03:09 AM
You guys keep talking about greed and lack of morals but I don't see that anywhere! No one forced you to buy anything, to my knowledge...Cryptic isn't holding a gun to your head and saying "buy C POINTS so you can buy a stupid skin from our store".

And for the people who complain about "rawr I paid $50 plus $15 a month I deserve everything and the kitchen sink because $65!!!" you all are acting like children. That's what children do, complain about things costing money. Seriously, you got much bigger problems if spending $65 is enough to make you sweat. I mean I spend that at the pump for pete's sakes.

I could talk about how oh I played this MMO and that MMO previously and they were so much better, but the reality of this situation is that whining will solve nothing. You all sound like the doomsayers who predicted that America would collapse and get invaded by China or something the instant Barack Obama was elected. Folks were so sure that he was gonna suck without even giving him a chance.

Well I wasn't one of them and I'm gonna give Cryptic a chance, I bought a lifetime sub and the only thing I ever expected was a game set in the Star Trek universe. This is not the buggiest MMO launch ever, and all you people having game issues well I'm sorry, but I'm not and I'm gonna give Cryptic the benefit of the doubt. It's not generosity it's simple logic: what game in recent memory worked completely 110% right and didn't need a bug fix later on? I betcha can't name a single one, I can't and I've played some games in my time. Would it really kill some of you hotheads to be patient?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Interresting.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharni View Post
seriously, gtfo with all the whining about gimmicks available through C-Store and micro transactions...

nobody is forcing you to buy those and the only advantage you gain is that your char will look different, thats about it. theres nothing gamebreaking or upsetting the game balance there ... you dont gain any advantage over somebody who doesnt buy a klingon or ferengi ...

hell, if i buy a new car and i dont want plain color but metallic i also have to pay extra and that also doesnt cost the car company an extra dime ...
It's people like you that ruined MMO market.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgrim View Post
It's people like you that ruined MMO market.
as im sure you cannot explain why that is im not even going to ask ...
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharni View Post
as im sure you cannot explain why that is im not even going to ask ...
Thought that was pretty obvious from your first post.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
ok guys im not defneding cryptic but i will say what runs the game servers? tell me that its a little thing called money. what pays for cryptics staff aka people who made the game and support any issue you may be haveing the staff of cryptic dont run on peanuts thay need money to support the stuff i mentioned above so stop being such cheepskates fair enuth you buyed the game and pay mouthly theres nothing demanding that you buy from the stores and ive looked and nothing in there gives you a advantage over other players so stop complaneing that its greed its not greed its a busyness and it wouldent be much of a busyness if thay dont make money... hell thay give you the option of a lifetime subscription meens NO MORE PAYING MOUTHLYS name another MMO that dus that sort of offer?
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
My take on it is this. In 14 months or so you wont have to pay another monthly fee again. Unlike SWG where I have paid 143.99 a year for coming up on 7 years now. x 4 accouts so that is 4031.72 in July. I had to buy 3 expansions @ 119.96 I believe I paid 29.99. Here in STO I paid 240 for life. I can take a break if I get bored don't have to re-up don't have to worry if I am short on cash this month do I pay for the game or no. A lot of people I would imagine prefer not having to pay for a monthly fee.

A lot of people played guild wars and were happy to pay for expansions.

In SWG people go to third party websites and pay cash for good items that is why SWG instituted the no trade on most items now.

Why not sell items that people might want for a small fee. Cryptic keeps the money. Keeps the devs paid and develloping.

They have to keep money coming in somehow as a lot of people I would bet will take advantage of the lifetime. I am sure some will pay monthly as they are the ones who know they will move on to the next game.