Lt. Commander
(Following on from http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96993 which is an excellent post documenting the games key issues)

I think somewhere along the line of the MMO genre the game developers and publishers forgot what the MMORPG genre actually involves, its actual appeal to the masses

Its the fact you exist in a huge perpetual world, where people exist alongside you, doing things that affect them, they do things that affect you, its this organic growing world that makes it so appealing. Its the feeling that you are existing in a living breathing world, where you could stumble upon huge monsters, or have a drink a canteen/bar with other NPC's or PC's

Thats one of the key reasons games such as Ultima Online, World of ********, Lord of the Rings have been such successful MMO's, because they grasp hold of the genre's appealing aspects and exploit them for their benefit

STO seems to have completely ripped these ideals apart and created something akin to a Mcdonalds happy meal, except its far from happy.

Everything in the game is so synthetic and empty that it destroys any emphasis on the MM (Massively Multiplayer) and the fact that you are auto grouped most of the time doesn't help the fact that you feel like you are in a lonely empty world. In fact it isn't a world, it would make no difference if it was just a list of missions that you selected from a screen and then logged in and completed them. There is no need for sector space its ugly, slow and seems to have just been created to try and remind us that YES we are actually playing with other people

The ground combat is like some kind of fecal matter I trod in and can't get off my shoe. I played one particular ground mission last night, which involved killing lizard men over and over and over and over and over and over. This was exacebated by the fact I had 3 skills to use, each as boring as the last. This isn't a criticism of the skills per say its more the fact that at lvl 1 I was using these skills and at lvl 8 I am still using these same skills, there is no sense of progress, no sense of development, no organic development of my character its simply mind numbing.

It is so similar to fast food it frightens me, I fly around in sector space, not stumbling on mobs, not being able to go chill out in a spacestation bar and accidentally get involved in a brawl or pick up a few missions its like this

GET MISSION > DO MISSION > GET MISSION > DO MISSION etc etc

There is no exploration, no space stations to settle in, the gear that drops is horrendously poor, I go from my original phaser which is 16dps to my next phaser which is 18dps after I have levelled 8 levels, its just god awful fast food approach

Therefore I have cancelled my pre-order, please for everything wonderful in this genre stop being like mcdonalds and pumping out crap, thinking everyone should lap it up, superficial, horrible pointless gameplay which attempts to call itself a MMORPG when it should really just be a single player game
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 01:45 AM
right, can i have your stuff then ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Nevermind -.-
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Seriously you think World of ******** didn't destroy the RPG aspect of the MMORPG field?

Well guess theirs two sides to every coin...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Think you fail to identify that I was talking about MMO not the RPG side of it
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 02:02 AM
I feel your pain, this game is awful in almost every department.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Seriously you think World of ******** didn't destroy the RPG aspect of the MMORPG field?

Well guess theirs two sides to every coin...
If we like it or not. And we can hate either Blizzard or WoW or even both.

Fact is, that WoW actually is an MMORPG. Just like EQ/EQ2 and LOTRO and every other MMORPG that is still succesful and around today! Millions of people are enjoying those games for years on straight! And people are still talking about it today.

What has Cryptic accomplished? Rushing out two unfinished buggy MMO's, manage to get high initial sales by lots of hype and shady practices. (and secretly already working on the next ones)

And after a month, most people are gone... and a couple months further... hardly anyone talks about it anymore.

STO won't be any different. Only difference maybe, is that the ST fans will be more disgrunteled (especially the ones that blindly forked out a lifetime sub without even seeing the game) and be more vocal on their departure this month (or the next).

Jer
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Less QQ more pew pew, come on everyone say it
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 02:14 AM
I suppose you can't crucify them, when you are rolling an MMO out in 2yrs this is what you can expect

Just like fast food they make it cheap to roll it out quickly, aiming to make a quick buck by implementing minimal developer support so you reduce your overheads. Adding in a lifetime subscription makes even more money quickly as its essentially looking at how long you aim the life cycle of the game to be in your business model and recouping all the potential subscription money instantly

People think its a lifetime when in fact Cryptic's business model would established how long they aim the game to last on their developers books. Thats not to say development would completely stop, its just the time when they reduce the bulk of developers on the project and move them to a new game
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonez
GET MISSION > DO MISSION > GET MISSION > DO MISSION etc etc
sounds like absolutely every mmo in existence if you get a mission u really should oh i dun do it
i think its a wonderful game, there actually is exploration its just done in a strange way but strange
is different, different is nice since most othe games are mostly the same fantasy shiz over n over

must say diplomacy missions are also done strangely and i like it

great game