Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharni View Post
right, can i have your stuff then ?
you prolly don't want his stuff he probly barely made it out of the tutorial
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-02-2010, 03:06 AM
I guess I'll shut up now the topic I made, discussed my problems with the gamet

Hope the people that enjoy it, enjoy the game

As for me I can't accept putting my money into such an empty game, therefore praising a team who arguably are setting a bad precedence for MMO development
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonez
Well I may not claim to speak for everyone but 11million people can't be wrong, and you say people love Cryptic I suggest you mosy on over to Champions Online and watch that slow car wreck, because I guarantee this is where STO is heading

And I think your find that the class skill system was one of the major parts of Blizzards development process, they even stated in many interviews that their developers when creating the classes were required to continually question whether playing this class is FUN, if it isn't fun remove that feature
I'm just pointing out that the analogy doesn't work

Again, i'm not saying that combat in WoW isn't fun, but it isn't the main attraction of the game.

As for the class system, just because they placed a lot of work into it again doesn't mean that it was a main draw. Yes, it was a nice thing to have and definitely contributes to the overall fun factor but that's like saying that Left 4 Dead 1 was a huge hit because they actually fleshed out the 4 main characters past their stereotype gangster/war-vet/college student/pencil pusher characters. Like what smc said, other MMOs have had different classes which were fun too and they never became as huge of a hit as WoW.

It's success was a mixture of having a huge gamer player-base already assured of playing thanks to WC3, the instant gratification it provided compared to MMOs at the time which made you WORK for that +1 Onion Sword, appeal to the masses by making everything simple, a few fank-**** fan sites that became huge because Wiki-sites weren't that common yet so they weren't competing with each other which formed a good community, people in-game convincing their friends to join in which exponentially raised the player-base, WoW becoming synonymous in pop-culture with MMOs in general making people think that WoW's the standard, etcetera etc etc.

It's combat and class system is way down that list.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonez
I guess I'll shut up now the topic I made, discussed my problems with the gamet

Hope the people that enjoy it, enjoy the game

As for me I can't accept putting my money into such an empty game, therefore praising a team who arguably are setting a bad precedence for MMO development
^this. low standards from game players breed teams like cryptic. This has potential. but look at the "potential" people said about CoX,CO..... ouch
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonez
(Following on from http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96993 which is an excellent post documenting the games key issues)

I think somewhere along the line of the MMO genre the game developers and publishers forgot what the MMORPG genre actually involves, its actual appeal to the masses

Its the fact you exist in a huge perpetual world, where people exist alongside you, doing things that affect them, they do things that affect you, its this organic growing world that makes it so appealing. Its the feeling that you are existing in a living breathing world, where you could stumble upon huge monsters, or have a drink a canteen/bar with other NPC's or PC's

Thats one of the key reasons games such as Ultima Online, World of ********, Lord of the Rings have been such successful MMO's, because they grasp hold of the genre's appealing aspects and exploit them for their benefit

STO seems to have completely ripped these ideals apart and created something akin to a Mcdonalds happy meal, except its far from happy.

Everything in the game is so synthetic and empty that it destroys any emphasis on the MM (Massively Multiplayer) and the fact that you are auto grouped most of the time doesn't help the fact that you feel like you are in a lonely empty world. In fact it isn't a world, it would make no difference if it was just a list of missions that you selected from a screen and then logged in and completed them. There is no need for sector space its ugly, slow and seems to have just been created to try and remind us that YES we are actually playing with other people

The ground combat is like some kind of fecal matter I trod in and can't get off my shoe. I played one particular ground mission last night, which involved killing lizard men over and over and over and over and over and over. This was exacebated by the fact I had 3 skills to use, each as boring as the last. This isn't a criticism of the skills per say its more the fact that at lvl 1 I was using these skills and at lvl 8 I am still using these same skills, there is no sense of progress, no sense of development, no organic development of my character its simply mind numbing.

It is so similar to fast food it frightens me, I fly around in sector space, not stumbling on mobs, not being able to go chill out in a spacestation bar and accidentally get involved in a brawl or pick up a few missions its like this

GET MISSION > DO MISSION > GET MISSION > DO MISSION etc etc

There is no exploration, no space stations to settle in, the gear that drops is horrendously poor, I go from my original phaser which is 16dps to my next phaser which is 18dps after I have levelled 8 levels, its just god awful fast food approach

Therefore I have cancelled my pre-order, please for everything wonderful in this genre stop being like mcdonalds and pumping out crap, thinking everyone should lap it up, superficial, horrible pointless gameplay which attempts to call itself a MMORPG when it should really just be a single player game
Can I get fries with that? And if it's not too much trouble could I swap out the large soda for a large chocolate thickshake?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Sulu is in the Admirals office.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonez
I suppose you can't crucify them, when you are rolling an MMO out in 2yrs this is what you can expect

Just like fast food they make it cheap to roll it out quickly, aiming to make a quick buck by implementing minimal developer support so you reduce your overheads. Adding in a lifetime subscription makes even more money quickly as its essentially looking at how long you aim the life cycle of the game to be in your business model and recouping all the potential subscription money instantly

People think its a lifetime when in fact Cryptic's business model would established how long they aim the game to last on their developers books. Thats not to say development would completely stop, its just the time when they reduce the bulk of developers on the project and move them to a new game
I have lifetime because i like the game. And i spend like 500 dollar on wow in 1,5-2 years. But i realy hope they will keep supporting it. This is only the second mmo i pay for i dont know any other cryptic mmo's. But i can only op your not right about this. Else its the last time i will buy a grame from cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

EvE calls their patches, expansions. i see theyve already brainwashed you into thinking they're actual expansions.

Also good of you to solely decide what your wide and 136 man fleet get to play. Talk about demanding.

Oh, btw, every mmo gets released early, and as for paying for content through the c-store. you can predict the future now? Any chance you can tell me this weeks lotto numbers?

In short, shut up tryint to demean and troll. You're pretty bad at it.
The only troll is YOU! And a pathetic one at that!

CCP releases patches through the whole year and releases EXPANSIONS almost twice a year for FREE!

And yes, those are EXPANSIONS!

WoW aside, EVE Online is the only MMO that has been growing in subs year after year!

I dare Cryptic to do better !! (wich we know ofcourse they won't.)

Jer
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I like McDonalds....but i also like a good restaurant..depends on my mood....and remember..no one forces you to pick a side...simply choose "the best of both worlds"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-02-2010, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astennu View Post
I have lifetime because i like the game. And i spend like 500 dollar on wow in 1,5-2 years. But i realy hope they will keep supporting it. This is only the second mmo i pay for i dont know any other cryptic mmo's. But i can only op your not right about this. Else its the last time i will buy a grame from cryptic.
All I can say is that you'll enjoy their games more if you don't visit the forums. Cryptic has one of the worst cases of a broken base that i've seen that seems to keep following it.

The fact that the Cryptic devs actually respond to forum posts unlike most other MMO makers makes people think that they have a right to "call out" the devs with their inflated sense of self-worth. Some of the criticisms actually are spot on and well-written, but they're usually buried by the majority of the posters who just whine and complain as the former will get responses like "I agree" and "^this" which ends the thread and the latter starts a flame war that keeps it on page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronas
The only troll is YOU! And a pathetic one at that!

CCP releases patches through the whole year and releases EXPANSIONS almost twice a year for FREE!

And yes, those are EXPANSIONS!

WoW aside, EVE Online is the only MMO that has been growing in subs year after year!

I dare Cryptic to do better !! (wich we know ofcourse they won't.)

Jer
CCP also had that whole fiasco with the GMs doing some shady stuff which caused that annual dev-player meeting thing. I never got too into EVE, but if it takes a player uprising to get the devs to actually stop being corrupt, then I really wouldn't consider them to be a good example of a 'good' company.

You also talk as if Cryptic's had a history of charging for expansions. The only one they've ever done was City of Villains, and that was basically a whole 'nother stand-alone game. I can't even remember if it was Cryptic who pushed it or if it was after NCSoft bought it out.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 AM.