Lt. Commander
# 31
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I am in the GMT boat as well. Was hoping to play last night but no luck, oh well I just watched some DS9 episodes instead. Came on just now as I have an hour or so to spare to find another downtime over lunch.

It does suck a little and like the OP, it does feel a little like we are getting the short end of the stick here. However, that said, STO is still new and the devs are clearly doing a lot of firefighting just now. No doubt in preparation for the incoming spike in players.

My sympathies are with them, as they are with all the frustrated players and I do hope the problems are sorted out reasonably quickly.

On the subject of some of the replies here...if the down times suit your timetable, you may not want them to change...but accusing someone who they don't suit as selfish is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

I doubt very much that anyone here, other than Cryptic, could provide evidence to show what down times impact the most players, but my opinion would be: that at the moment, they are simply trying to get the system working as quick as they can and once they are at a point where they consider it stable/robust, they may look at a more planned maintenance schedule, that impacts the fewest players based on their logon metrics.

Just my 2c, coming from a background in professional software development for 6+ years.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vloren
I doubt alot of families play from midnight till 2am together.
You've completely missed the point of the thread - at no point did i start a campaign to change the downtime, i just wondered if people were in the same boat, seems there are a few who are/understand.
You must not be on the servers during those hours then. It's been quite busy all through the OB as well as Head Start. And, more to the point, these hours are the ONLY hours I have to play. I work six days per week, all evenings and get home after midnight during those days. I don't, and won't try playing prior to going to work because my work involves driving. So, I sleep up until I have to get ready for work and get a bite to eat, too.

Also, your denial that you intended to start a campaign to change the downtime is blunted right in your original post where you did, indeed, suggest changing the downtime to suit your own free time to play.

Perhaps, once all the kinks are worked out Cryptic may institute some kind of 'rolling' downtime so that the same people aren't impacted all the time. I'd have no complaint if they did that.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-02-2010, 04:13 AM
3am-5am PST is the time cryptic came up with when they launched champions, it was originally 1am-3am PST but so many west coast Americans complained that they couldn't play at midnight that it got moved. which happened to put it right in the middle of Australian prime time, we're used to getting the shaft when it comes to MMO maintience though. My advice, which I will point out I follow myself, Is to suck it up and live with it.