Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Well this is my first MMO, so IDK...

But how do other MMOs work?

Is the MT content usually given as part of the usual content updates and patches? Stuff that's usually is paid for... by the monthly and lifetime sub's?

Oh, and was Cryptic clear on this beforehand? Or was this something they "sprung" on it's customers who already paid lifetime thinking, as in most (all?) other MMO's that this would be included?

maybe that's why some are calling this "shady"

Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Like WoW's pet store? Or LotRO? Or DDO? Or City of Heroes?

No game has ever failed due to having microtransactions and I'm not sure there was honestly EVER a successful MMO that didn't have any when you account for pre-order bonuses and collector's editions, which every MMO I can think of had at least one special cosmetic or functional item you could pay extra to start out with.

So wait... Pre-ordered bonus items are considered "micro-transaction?" Even though the pre-order price is really to pay for the game itself and the other stuff, the 'items,' are essentially free incentives?

I don't understand what micro-transactions are.

Then again, this is my first MMO.

Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArykGrev View Post
Well this is my first MMO, so IDK...

But how do other MMOs work?

Is the MT content usually given as part of the usual content updates and patches? Stuff that's usually is paid for... by the monthly and lifetime sub's?

Oh, and was Cryptic clear on this beforehand? Or was this something they "sprung" on it's customers who already paid lifetime thinking, as in most (all?) other MMO's that this would be included?

maybe that's why some are calling this "shady"

Most MMO's have and all new MMO's will have some form of micro transaction on top of your monthly fee.

Quote:
So wait... Pre-ordered bonus items are considered "micro-transaction?" Even though the pre-order price is really to pay for the game itself and the other stuff, the 'items,' are essentially free incentives?

No, pre-order bonus items aren't micro transactions. A micro transaction, using an easy example is paying real life money to have a little pet follow you around in game.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:

With special editions, they're "free" items that cost you $20-30 more sometimes, sometimes without any tangible packaging differences.

I guess I'll see when my STO Collector's comes in today. A hardbound book sounds nice. I was very impressed, for instance, with the City of Villains CE. Whereas City of HEROES, WoW and a lot of the "special editions" I've seen seem to have a $5 magazine and a digital item for an extra $30. A lot of "Collector's Editions" are thinly veiled micro-transactions and always have been.

City of Villains is the one that I really felt like I got a GREAT value on. Heroclix (which I never played mind you), a very lush art book, awesome packaging, a comic book. Wasn't much more than regular either. Maybe an extra $10. And it added a month of gametime to my CoH account.

City of Heroes CE by contrast was a chrome box and a code for a transparent cape that I had to get to level 20 to use.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Levia, Cryptic/Atari, doesnt need you to defend thier cause, they have PR departments for that.

But thank you for supporting thier lies (claiming ferengi wasnt available due to glitch, then adding it to store)

By supporting every decision that Atari/Cryptic make that screw over customers, you make it all that easier for them to do it more (and more harshly) in the future.

Would you support product placement and advertisment in the game? would you support it if 'every other mmo' did it?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofoxable
Most MMO's have and all new MMO's will have some form of micro transaction on top of your monthly fee.

No, pre-order bonus items aren't micro transactions. A micro transaction, using an easy example is paying real life money to have a little pet follow you around in game.
Okay. And a pre-order that costs extra? Or a Digital edition? Look, you're paying for the pet either way, whether it's an extra $30 for WotLK's frostwhelp or $40 for a card on eBay or a trip to some city to attend a convention with a "free" promo or just an honest $10 right now.

It's like this... Given the choice between a date with someone who would make out with anybody who buys her $40 steak and an adult services worker who would skip the dinner, I think the latter has more integrity to it. Less pretense. Less risk. And while that is a false dichotomy and maybe there's a better lady out there for you maybe what you need right now isn't the love of your life but a one dollar Ferengi thrill.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
I wonder where a person could GO to report that they are unhappy?
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
Levia, Cryptic/Atari, doesnt need you to defend thier cause, they have PR departments for that.

But thank you for supporting thier lies (claiming ferengi wasnt available due to glitch, then adding it to store)

By supporting every decision that Atari/Cryptic make that screw over customers, you make it all that easier for them to do it more (and more harshly) in the future.

Would you support product placement and advertisment in the game? would you support it if 'every other mmo' did it?
If this game, on the whole, is screwing the customers, then, yeah, let them keep it up. I like the way they're doing things. I would encourage them to do things the way they have, thus far, except maybe to anticipate demand better and run more internal testing on some of these systems.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Slippery slope. Only a matter of time before games allow you to spend real money on a lvl capped character just like you were buying from someone on ebay. First it was illegal, now it's profit.

The real question is will the player base continue to rationalize it? or go on strike.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 04:53 AM
I saw the Hat so I paid for an extra 500 points so now I have 1000....:p