Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 41
01-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaker001b View Post
My favorite Star Trek games?

The Starfleet Command series from 1999 to mid-early 2000's. Loved the series. SFC1 & 2 were set in the movie setting with the TOS crew. SFC3 was set with the TNG/DS9/VOY era. The combat inspired STO's to a heavy degree. Veteran SFC players will recognize where STO drew quite a bit of its ideas from for space combat.

But SFC was far more involved. You could upgrade and everything, but every system, every function, from weapons, shields, tractor beams, sensors, draws power. Your Warp Core could only pump out so much and you really had to prioritize what got what. It was not a matter of Weapons, Shields, Engine Power. Everything you did or kept active, drew power. And the game during combat challenged you with what systems needed power at that moment. Going high weapons and shields may sound like the obvious, easy answer, but you will be weakening other things that could protect you from other threats.

Another thing was that you had finite uses of Repair Teams to fix damaged or disabled features of the ship. Small ships had far less Repair Teams compared to Cruisers or larger warships. After all, in Star Trek, Cruisers rule, unlike what STO tries to tell you about Star Trek.

As the titles went on, you had a chance to play more factions with fleshed out ship lineups. Klingons, Romulans, etc. had viable ship choices outside recognized ones from the shows and movies.

Another thing the SFC games had was the "Dynaverse," a large map with individual sectors to play in. Players can move and conduct missions in each of these little sectors... and other players can play on the same "Dynaverse" map with or against you. I vividly recall for SFC3 a Dominion Wars era mod (called "DomWars") and the mod maker hosted Dynaverse campaigns... playable Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Dominion-Cardassian-Breen factions. All factions were unique and joys to play in their own peculiar ways. Lots of players choosing their factions, playing both PVE & PVP with or against each other. You could be doing a Convoy Raiding mission deep behind Federation lines against NPCs to garner points & rewards, but a Fed player could show up and make things far more interesting for you.

Also... there was no hull repairing during combat. You had to go back to a Starbase for hull repairs

Very worthy mentions:

Star Trek Klingon Academy - A Klingon-centric game, set before "Undiscovered Country" and you work for General Chang.

Star Trek Birth of the Federation
- The only strategy game of its kind for the IP. Very vanilla gameplay, IMO, but again, the only strategy game of its sort for Star Trek. Playable Federation, Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians. No Dominion, so the game was more classic TNG setting than DS9's Dominion War setting.

Star Trek Bridge Commander - The Star Trek game where you could play the game completely from the bridge, in the captain's chair. You issued commands to your bridge officers and they do it. This game also had quite alot of mod support with new and better ship models and effects, quite a bit you can see on YouTube. Oh, in addition to the 4 shield facings you are familiar with, you also had dorsal and ventral shield facings.
That about covers my pics- I wonder how far the Dynaverse team has gotten on rewriting the SFC2 net code, last I heard they had procured the source code and were in the process of rewriting the entire game and were in talks with ADB to use some of the SFB ruleset for the new added in ships and weapons.

...And the only good thing I can say about BC is it was easy to mod, so all the ST:L models I extracted could easily be rebuilt in a 3d modeller, and tested in BC.

The ONE game I would have tho is Klingon Academy, hands down. The Romulan Dawn mod is pretty fun too.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 01-09-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Captain
# 42
01-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I guess this shows how ancient I must be: EGA Trek.
Captain
# 43
01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
SFC I, II, & III. The Klingon storyline in SFC III was well done and my favorite. The Vor'cha was my favorite ship there and still is in STO.

Armada II. Especially for the mods. To me, making the ships look and act correctly was important. More fun to mod than to play sometimes. Couldn't play online with mods installed but my friends and I didn't care. I did a bunch of mods because it was fun. Like the A2 Physics Project. Funny, everyone else would release new ships and the Community would "oooh" and "aaah" over them. I preferred making the ships move and act like they ought to. Then, got to thinking about how the AI used ships. Thought the Borg should do a little more than show up and get shot. Released the Single Player Campaign Mod. The Collective in that one acted like the Collective ought to. Efficient, relentless and unforgivably mean to players. I set the AI up so it was a mimic of the things a live player would do and then added in a couple variables to make it do the unexpected now and again.

Somebody modeled the Battlestar Galactica for Amada II. Somebody saw it and said, "Nice. But it can't launch Vipers." So I made it launch Viipers. They saw this and said, "Okay, but it doesn't have a Jump Drive." So I gave it a Jump Drive. Then, they said, "You forgot the Flak barrage." Fellow usernamed kjc733 and I worked on this for about six weeks and then added it. "What about nukes? You can't do nukes." kjc733 added those about a month later. The BSG Half Race Mod v1.0 allowed an Armada II player to become the Colonial Fleet as a full race in the game. We called it the Half Race Mod because try as we might, kjc733 and I couldn't get the AI to handle the Colonials and the Cylons effectively. We figured it out eventually.

Got bored with game mods and started making maps. Got bored with those and started making a Terran Empire full race mod. Guy usernamed jetfreak might be the best texture artist I ever met. Jetfreak did the perfect hull textures for Terran ships. All gunmetal and dark menace. All I can say is - Pinoy rrrocks, Jet! I added a big fat planet and dagger to them and they looked perfect. I was disappointed by the Terran Empire skins in STO. Makes the Fed ships look like clownfish with the colors and schemes they've chosen.

Thanks OP. Gonna go find my A2 disc and reinstall to see what I can change next. Because it made playing around in the Star Trek universe fun. I always had the following line in the Credit Section of all my publicly released mods.

Gene Roddenberry - For giving us such a cool place to play. Thank you, Gene!
On a mission to put the "Casual" back into "Casual Player"

The only gear any ship or Away Team really needs is a competent Captain.

Captain
# 44
01-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Easy, Klingon Academy.
No Star Trek game quite like it before or after, best and most in depth starship simulation ever released.
On top of which it has a compelling Klingon Story Arc that ties into Star Trek 6: Undiscovered Country, complete with full live-action cutscenes starring several of the Star Trek Alumni including Cristopher Plummer and David Warner.

And thanks to dedicated fans with unofficial fixes it runs just wonderful on modern hardware and supports Full HD resolution.
Ensign
# 45
01-09-2014, 10:45 PM
People keep bringing up Klingon Academy so I have to ask: What did you do to deal with the random crashes? Really, I quit because there was a mission that I could not complete because of this. Either an enemy ship would get stuck in a loop and bring the mission to a stop, or the entire thing would crash. I've looked it up online before and couldn't really find anything.

I don't understand how the game could be so unstable when Starfleet Academy more or less worked fine.
Captain
# 46
01-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarreous View Post
People keep bringing up Klingon Academy so I have to ask: What did you do to deal with the random crashes? Really, I quit because there was a mission that I could not complete because of this. Either an enemy ship would get stuck in a loop and bring the mission to a stop, or the entire thing would crash. I've looked it up online before and couldn't really find anything.

I don't understand how the game could be so unstable when Starfleet Academy more or less worked fine.
I never understood how other players had so many stability problems with it. Maybe you had a damaged disk or mis-configured system but I don't remember having any problems with the game. Win95 still used DOS config.sys and autoexec.bat files so memory preconfig before windows loads was pretty important. Having 580k of free ram before windows loads always helps.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Ensign
# 47
01-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I never understood how other players had so many stability problems with it. Maybe you had a damaged disk or mis-configured system but I don't remember having any problems with the game. Win95 still used DOS config.sys and autoexec.bat files so memory preconfig before windows loads was pretty important. Having 580k of free ram before windows loads always helps.
I didn't get a copy of the game until a few years ago. And besides, I grew up with Win98 . I have a couple of old games that require an extra download or configuration to work on newer OS's, so maybe I am missing something in that regard.

But then, I also have modern games that need extra files or settings tweaked just to work (ie ME2).

On the other hand, I also know that sometimes there's a batch of disks that are simply buggy. That was the case with one of the Halo games where the only real "fix" was to wait until the company sent out new disks that didn't have problems. Come to think of it, my broken copy of Dominion Wars is likely the same, as I've read of there being different versions of it. At least I got many hours of game play out of that one.
Rihannsu
# 48
01-11-2014, 09:17 AM
i wouldnt say sto the best anyways but for me the best trek game is Bridge Commander and if you know how to mod games you can make that game again imo way better than sto
the age of launcher... is over...!! the time of the ARC has come!!!!!!!!!
One ARC to rule them all, One ARC to find them,
One ARC to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!
actual joining date = no one cares!!!!

Last edited by daan2006; 01-11-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Captain
# 49
01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Can't remember where at the moment.
But there are som unofficial patches for Klingon Academy thats supposed to fix various stability and crash issues on modern hardware, as well as a DirectX 8 wrapper to allow the game to run properly on modern graphics cards.
Lieutenant
# 50
01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but my favorite Star Trek game had to be 'Deep Space Nine: The Fallen'. It had good replay value too being able to play through the game as Worf/Kira/Sisko and getting a different perspective on the story with each character. Graphics and game play were pretty good too, I believe they built it on the unreal engine