Lt. Commander
# 1 Digital Distribution is Fail
02-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Gamestop opened at midnight to distribute physical copies of this game. So technically I could already be playing this game, with all the extras that come with the collector/deluxe edition, since the retail key comes in the box.

Then there is the digital versions of this game that you can get through Atari, Steam, Direct2Drive, etc. Which don't send out keys until noon (give or take a couple hours). Now, maybe my view of digital distribution is just completely crazy, but shouldn't the people that buy the digital version be getting the benefit of playing it earlier then anyone else? I mean damn, we are sacrificing a box with fancy artwork on it, manual, and other things, yet still paying the same price for the game, and getting nothing in return.
You'd think there would be some perk to buying the digital version. Yet, at least where STO is concerned, we are getting the shaft every which way. We don't get any physical media. No physical anything. We still pay the full price, and we get access to the game last. Later then anyone.

Honestly, it's digital, they should be able to go in, flip a switch, and let us be playing the game at 12:01 AM. I'm not sure who's at fault here. Cryptic, Atari, Steam. I don't know. But it seems like this type of thing is common sense. This is exactly why a pure digital distribution future is still a long, loooong way away. Because they've taken something that should be more convenient, and beneficial, and instead created this useless, pointless tripe that exists currently.

I can only hope that the reason neither Cryptic, Atari, nor Steam come out and say anything about this is because they know they screwed up, and they know they went about this in the most ignorant way possible. Addressing it directly would mean admitting that they are morons. And I say "hope" because maybe that will mean that at some point in the future, they will digitally distribute things in an appropriate manner. Because this definitely is not...

/rant off
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Yeah I'd really like to know how a string of digits I ordered 2 bloody weeks ago is on backorder now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 04:59 AM
I prefer Digital Distribution for a number of reasons. I very rarely buy a boxed copy of a game anymore.

That said, I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Now you know that you don't like it, and you don't have to use it again. Simple as that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
I prefer Digital Distribution for a number of reasons. I very rarely buy a boxed copy of a game anymore.

That said, I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Now you know that you don't like it, and you don't have to use it again. Simple as that.
Precisely. Personally, I enjoy having my serial numbers stored online so I don't have to keep a closet full of game boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM
I got my key at exactly 00:01 GMT (so like 4pm PST) from DlGamer.com
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 05:01 AM
Not sure what your gripe is, are you complaining because you cannot play right now? Didn't you get your pre-order access & key?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post

that's exactly what he sai. No he doesn't have to use it again, in fact he said he wouldn't.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remade
Gamestop opened at midnight to distribute physical copies of this game.
Yep...about how many? 10? 10 times the number of people at each store...I'm assuming no more than 100...so yes 1000 people got a box before you got your e-mail. The other ummteen of us have to wait til...oh no...minimum 10a local for our stores to open...

I for one need to leave work first so I won't be picking up til 5p local, install (if it's necessary) and cd-key my copies.

Its 12 hours difference, its not a catastrophic fail. Next time, take wednesday after launch off from work, less wasted time :-P
Lt. Commander
# 9
The OP does make some good points about digital distribution if you can get past the rant. He's right - the whole thing is based on convenience and the download should have been available at 12:01 AM...or at least the retail key should have been available, since our current client will work.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remade
and we get access to the game last. Later then anyone.
...Anyone who is getting a boxed copy shipped will have to wait for delivery. also the actual difference in time minus the server downtime is what? 8 hours -gasp-