Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
02-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbldets
My key from gamestop digital download came through at exactly midnight PST which is 8am for me. No issues with them, everything went smootly and my keys are now registered.
Really? You got your Connie?

I didn't.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Seriously, you did pick bad company. Mine key was mailed to me exactly 00:01 GMT too. I'm happy with my retailer.

Kudos to them. I prefer electronic distribution over shipping boxes. It makes no sence to fill my room with useless stuff. I want play game not pound someone over head with my box
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamd
...Anyone who is getting a boxed copy shipped will have to wait for delivery. also the actual difference in time minus the server downtime is what? 8 hours -gasp-
Not really sure what your point is. I'm sure you think you have one...

Getting the box "shipped" to you is not even related to what I'm saying. You knew when you went that route that, at best, it would probably take 12 hours for them to ship it to you. The same can't be said for digital distribution. If I had known that I could go to Gamestop at midnight, pick up the game, and immediately be playing with my Deluxe/Collector edition bonuses, then I would have never touched the digital version.

Common sense made me assume that if you could get a physical copy of the game at 12:01AM, then you sure as hell should be able to get a digital copy at 12:01. There is no reason for the digital version of something to lag behind the physical version. That's just nonsense.


(Btw. The hate on this forum is just amazing. It's like the fanboys automatically want to fight you if they even slightly think that you are indirectly, or directly insulting their precious, and infallible Cryptic or STO. Doesn't matter that under any other circumstance, they'd probably be agreeing with what's being said. Doesn't matter how correct the point being made is... Honestly, get your tongue out of Cryptic's brown eye.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisha
Precisely. Personally, I enjoy having my serial numbers stored online so I don't have to keep a closet full of game boxes.
That's a awesome quote from Peter Pan :O), bought a tear to me eyes when enterprise was to be de-comissioned, what with Spock saying "Go to hell!, if I were human!" made me laugh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamd
Pretty hard if the person who gave you those numbers told you not to do it before a certain time.
The question them becomes, why are they telling them not to release the numbers until several hours after the official start time....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
02-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.O.
Seriously, you did pick bad company. Mine key was mailed to me exactly 00:01 GMT too. I'm happy with my retailer.

Kudos to them. I prefer electronic distribution over shipping boxes. It makes no sence to fill my room with useless stuff. I want play game not pound someone over head with my box
I used X-Fire.

They sent me today an email with a link to the game files... no retail key. And the email they describe being what should be used for customer service is wrong (denial, not found, you got the idea).

What seens strange to me is that I already paid for the game, received and used the pre-order key (its a pre-order key, not free beta key). Cryptic should have been able to do the advancement to retail status without customer interference, as an automatic thing...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
02-02-2010, 04:19 AM
I ordered the Digital Deluxe version from Direct2Drive UK. Got the beta/headstart key almost immediately when I ordered it about at the start of January. Now it's launch day, and I'm still waiting on my retail key at 12 noon. I think this is poor service on the part of the digital distributors. As the OP suggests there's no real reason why these keys could not have been emailed out at 12:01. No reason other than office politics.

Admittedly the server is down until 1pm GMT, but it's still not the point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
02-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remade
Not really sure what your point is. I'm sure you think you have one...

Getting the box "shipped" to you is not even related to what I'm saying. You knew when you went that route that, at best, it would probably take 12 hours for them to ship it to you. The same can't be said for digital distribution. If I had known that I could go to Gamestop at midnight, pick up the game, and immediately be playing with my Deluxe/Collector edition bonuses, then I would have never touched the digital version.

Common sense made me assume that if you could get a physical copy of the game at 12:01AM, then you sure as hell should be able to get a digital copy at 12:01. There is no reason for the digital version of something to lag behind the physical version. That's just nonsense.


(Btw. The hate on this forum is just amazing. It's like the fanboys automatically want to fight you if they even slightly think that you are indirectly, or directly insulting their precious, and infallible Cryptic or STO. Doesn't matter that under any other circumstance, they'd probably be agreeing with what's being said. Doesn't matter how correct the point being made is... Honestly, get your tongue out of Cryptic's brown eye.)
Read your own post or maybe the quote of what I was making the point about. Digital distribution is not the last to be able to play. Yes hate is such a lovely thing isn't it I hate when people have zero patience and expect whatever they want to happen.

Wait you were wrong, you realise I was pointing out a massive fallacy in your facts? You want to apologise? I thought not hypocrisy is fun isn't it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
My digital deluxe version is now "backordered" ... which is AWESOME
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
02-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamd
This isn't a failure of digital distribution. Its your perceived failure of this use of digital distribution.
@UncleRomulus as well...


It might be my "perceived" failure. But it doesn't change the fact that my perception is the correct one.

Plain and simple. A person being able to get a physical copy before a digital copy is asinine, and completely backwards. You know it, I know it. It's fact. Don't try to spin it, and argue against it, just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, and sucking up to Cryptic/Atari.

I understand the reasons why digital distribution is the way it is. That still doesn't make it ideal. It still doesn't mean that there aren't ridiculously better ways to do things. It would just be a matter of them going through the effort to do it. But since digital distribution is still relatively in it's infancy, they instead opt to say "Eh, it's good enough, people will take whatever they are given..."

I'm sorry that I'm not like you. I'm not willing to sit on my laurels and happily eat whatever is regurgitated in my mouth. I'm going to question things. I'm going to express how I think it could be significantly better. You should be thanking me. Because if everyone was like you two, happily accepting and justifying everything, nothing would ever improve. Complainers instigate progress, and improvement, no matter how much you might not like them.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM.