Lt. Commander
# 61
02-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remade
Gamestop opened at midnight to distribute physical copies of this game. So technically I could already be playing this game, with all the extras that come with the collector/deluxe edition, since the retail key comes in the box.

Then there is the digital versions of this game that you can get through Atari, Steam, Direct2Drive, etc. Which don't send out keys until noon (give or take a couple hours). Now, maybe my view of digital distribution is just completely crazy, but shouldn't the people that buy the digital version be getting the benefit of playing it earlier then anyone else? I mean damn, we are sacrificing a box with fancy artwork on it, manual, and other things, yet still paying the same price for the game, and getting nothing in return.
You'd think there would be some perk to buying the digital version. Yet, at least where STO is concerned, we are getting the shaft every which way. We don't get any physical media. No physical anything. We still pay the full price, and we get access to the game last. Later then anyone.

Honestly, it's digital, they should be able to go in, flip a switch, and let us be playing the game at 12:01 AM. I'm not sure who's at fault here. Cryptic, Atari, Steam. I don't know. But it seems like this type of thing is common sense. This is exactly why a pure digital distribution future is still a long, loooong way away. Because they've taken something that should be more convenient, and beneficial, and instead created this useless, pointless tripe that exists currently.

I can only hope that the reason neither Cryptic, Atari, nor Steam come out and say anything about this is because they know they screwed up, and they know they went about this in the most ignorant way possible. Addressing it directly would mean admitting that they are morons. And I say "hope" because maybe that will mean that at some point in the future, they will digitally distribute things in an appropriate manner. Because this definitely is not...

/rant off
Digital order is not for speed its usually for when going to the store is inconvenient. For example to get a physical copy of the STO from where I ordered would involve me flying to America from the UK.

Now IF people got mailed a physical copy faster than you received your digitalr THEN you have grounds for a complaint.

Gadareth
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGoat View Post
Well i'm central time so I'll get it at 12 today hopefully.
Sure you will.. then you just need to worry about actually being able to login when the queues start

I wasnt able to get in at all last night... and that wasnt even the proper launch date.
Lt. Commander
# 63 Steam
02-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Sorry might have been answered but when do i get me additional content from me steam preorder? it reckosn the game is live now (still have startrek online beta in steam ?

Please dont tell me they gave us 3 days early acces only to have to start all over again when it comes out for the rest of the ppl? That will **** me off

Or is the head start not on yet? it reckosn the game is live now out of beta?
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganUK View Post
Sure you will.. then you just need to worry about actually being able to login when the queues start

I wasnt able to get in at all last night... and that wasnt even the proper launch date.
I'm logged in now just no bonus items?
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-02-2010, 06:45 AM
well i see it as op its my first time i got a digital copy instead of a box and why?? im a star trek fanboy i whantet to be one of the first to can play i whantet bonuses as joined trill or the fantastic ricardo montalban emote "KHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN" also liked the idea bout headstart. i bought my copy 1 month ago at steam als got me asap lifetime what means for my wishes i paid nearby 300 euro front bevore getting any benefit. and now?? we got headstart access but cant use our bonuses as joined trill what makes it useless to play 4 days and then start again just to get what ya paid for!!!!
also we invest lotsa money and trust in front and what we get?? were the last arses who benefit from it!!!
also i see it as the fred opner... we pay the same money for the game as the guys who buy in store but they got hardcover box with manual a disc who let it install in like 10 minutes and they also get their bonus stuff way inf ront of us!!
it tooked me 19 hours to download the client for it and since that 4-5 more with patches and i cant play right now nor get my stuff.

we are the fanboys we support games like sto in front we are the guys that stand with such games till last minute we invest our heartblood and lifetime in such games and what we get for?? a big ass kick?? thx alot
Lt. Commander
# 66
02-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by obi636 View Post
There is an easy explanation for all of this. It has nothing to do with the digital distributors and EVERYTHING to do with Atari. Leave Cryptic out of it, they are the designer not the publisher. They aren't responsible for the game beyond what they develop in their studios.

The simple fact of the matter is this. Atari will NOT ALLOW the digital distributors to distribute at 12:01 am for one simple reason. It completely screws up all the retailers midnight launch events and sales. Think about it, if you can just get it at 12:01 am on release day, then there is no point in a midnight launch. ALL game releases are late for digital distribution purely for marketing and in-store retail sale purposes. It brings in money for places like Gamestop, EB Games, etc. So if you want to point fingers, don't point them at Steam, D2D, etc. Point them at the actual physical product retailers and Atari, its just how the industry works. Get you into the store, and they might be able to get you to purchase a few more products at their hyped up release event.
I am not waiting for it to come 12:01. Specially that we are waaaaay past that time... I just want it to come. Not receiving a lame message from the retailer saying i only need the program and the key to fully activate, linking the files for the program but giving no key.
Lt. Commander
# 67
02-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueGoat View Post
I'm logged in now just no bonus items?
Being in the UK, my playtimes are 6pm till midnight... which translates to 10am - 16:00pm PST just when its nice and busy
Lt. Commander
# 68
02-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Digital Distrubution isnt what it should be.

It has these advantages tot he game maker:
no packaging costs, which is also eco friendly
no transport costs , which is also eco friendly
less costs to ensure physical retialers make profit

..which should mean its cheaper, more reliable and better for everyone

Doesnt work like that sadly in real life....maybe a few more years and digital distrubution will work
Im hoping it does