Starfleet Veteran
(Winter Wonderland rage, feel free to ignore)

I'm just so tired of managing to stay in first place for the entirety of the Fast and Flurrious, keeping ahead of bunny-hoppers and gate-jumpers using nothing but good sportsmanship and skill, only to have the "grab flag" prompt appear too late, lose first place to whoever was behind me, be unable to backtrack fast enough to the other flags, lose second and third place to those in third and fourth place and receive a lousy two epohh tags for being just a participant.

A system where one starts in first place, stays in first place for the whole race, crosses the finish line in first place, yet can still come last seems inherently flawed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
01-10-2014, 05:17 AM
Yup, I agree. lost count on how many races that has happened....

Fed Eng (Main). Fed Sci. Fed Tac. Rom Sci (KDF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Captain
# 3
01-10-2014, 05:22 AM
There are interaction issues in general. Consider even trying to start the standard race, eh?

Player A begins the animation to start the race first. Player B beings the animation second. Player A finds themselves still standing there while Player B has been teleported to the race start. Player A ends up with a DQ message and has to run back to reset the mission.

...there are interaction issues in general.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Captain
# 4
01-10-2014, 05:30 AM
I avoided wonderland this year, seeing as I had my fill of racing last year.

But one thing I always wondered about it why they decided grabbing a first place flag was the best way to go, when they could have just had players crossing the finish line.

The game has the mechanics for it, missions tells us where to go and can recognise when we arrive at an objective all the time. The race for the autographs does exactly that too as far as I remember.

It's a mystery to me, perhaps it's not so simple with more than one player involved.
Captain
# 5
01-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianed View Post

I'm just so tired of managing to stay in first place for the entirety of the Fast and Flurrious, keeping ahead of bunny-hoppers and gate-jumpers using nothing but good sportsmanship and skill, only to have the "grab flag" prompt appear too late, lose first place to whoever was behind me, be unable to backtrack fast enough to the other flags, lose second and third place to those in third and fourth place and receive a lousy two epohh tags for being just a participant.

A system where one starts in first place, stays in first place for the whole race, crosses the finish line in first place, yet can still come last seems inherently flawed.
Yeah, but don't you want an epohh friend?
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-10-2014, 06:09 AM
They had to come up with something different since if it was all the same stuff it would be boring and there wouldn't be any challenge to the race.

But i do agree with you that you got to get to a flag and you miss it and the last place player gets it after all you have done for nothing.

Admiral Eric of the U.S.S. Stargate 113X

Captain Kross of the I.K.S. SODA CRUSH/Vice Admiral S'Tev of the R.R.W. Destrov
Played STO since late Season 1 and to be exact 4th of July 2010
Captain
# 7
01-10-2014, 06:26 AM
It adds an additional challenge to the race...an additional layer of complexity. As long as the interaction actually works...well...
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
01-10-2014, 06:53 AM
I haven't had any trouble getting lots of marks without bunny hopping or gate jumping.

And really, I mean lots of marks; 46,000 across 13 characters as of yesterday. Really wanted to take advantage of the event across all my characters so I came up with a spreadsheet to keep track.

Here's some tips.

Run at off-peak hours. I'm not sure exactly, but it seems peak hours are generally when North America folks are home after work ~5 to 10 p.m. US Mountain. I'm had good luck in the mornings and on my lunch hour.

Transfer to low population zone. Doesn't always work cause lots do it and not always available. But sometimes you can get fewer competitors this way.

Stay in the zone for the second race. I've seen times where lots of people show up for the race at 8:15, and then everyone zones out and I have the race at 8:22 all to myself.

The jump-stop. When coming to a corner jump, take your finger off W and turn the mouse the direction you want to go. You'll stop dead in your tracks and you can can quickly get up to full sprint again.

Know when to go for second place. If I'm in a tight race for 1st and I know it might get taken from me by a quick F from my competitor, I just go for the sure thing and head for the 2nd place flag, rather than chance not getting first and sliding far away from the 2nd place flag.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Captain
# 9
01-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianed View Post

Agree with your rage wholeheartedly. I've only had one race (2 people; I came in second) where I didn't have to worry about cheaters. Then I did a race in which I was technically in 2nd place but slid past the flag, and watched in no time at all as all the flags from 2nd on down were taken by the other racers. I've never done the race again. (This was during this year's WW.) Sportsmanship does not exist in F&F; if anyone disagrees, they need to prove it -- to my face.
Career Officer
# 10
01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
I gave up with this race a few weeks ago.

I got fed up with it because of all of the reasons stated above. I much preferred how this was done for the summer event.

I got a useful supply of marks from WW but I just got completely disenchanted with racing for tags. An alternative method of acquiring them would have been appreciated.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster attitude upgrade - Installed *