Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
This is a fan made Star Trek show, IMO they should have gone the route of a new crew, but hey this is still good work for a fan made project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ziTBAkbQ#at=76
Captain
# 2
07-16-2013, 03:47 PM
You didn't mention that Scotty is played by Chris Doohan, son of James. That might explain why they went with the TOS crew rather than others.

EDIT: Nor that they are using the original actor who played Apollo in Who Mourns for Adonis?

Last edited by steamwright; 07-16-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Captain
# 3
07-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Well why spoil the surprise, plus how else can I tell who is watching the episode? lol

Last edited by hawkwing43; 07-16-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Captain
# 4
07-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I understand why Grant Imahara was cast as Sulu - but I think he'd have done better as Spock than the Spock they have. Nice intro of the holodeck concept at the beginning, reminiscent of the Enterprise episode where Trip and Reed invented the first version of ship's shields. (Their version only made a square shield about a meter or so across, supported by emitters at each corner; I was of the opinion at the time that their next move should have been to head back to Jupiter Station and get their hull studded with those emitters. Similarly, Scotty's proto-holodeck only makes holographic images, but they're quite realistic.) The set was impressive, as well. Overall, I have to say that I approve, especially if they can get some good stories going (life intervened, so I had to stop watching about the point where they blew up the anomalous ship - I plan to watch the rest of it later).
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Captain
# 5
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I've had the chance to only view a few minutes of the show. That said, it is pretty good. What jonsills mentioned about the holodeck concept: first thought that came into my mind was the first appearance of the holodeck, and I don't mean TNG's pilot. I'm referring to the TAS episode where the TOS/TAS crew are using a holodeck and it goes bonkers. This fan flick opening seems to lay the groundwork for that. Plus it felt like the TOS Earp/Clayton showdown. Nice touch.
Commander
# 6
07-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to viewing what ever they can film next. Last I read they were looking for more scripts. I am not sure if I like it or Star Trek Phase II better. If you are curious I did start a thread not long ago that contains links to several fan made Trek shows HERE.
Captain
# 7
07-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
I understand why Grant Imahara was cast as Sulu - but I think he'd have done better as Spock than the Spock they have.
"The myth says that a Vulcan once modified a photon torpedo on the fly in the middle of combat to detect emissions from a previously unknown cloaked warbird. He then used the torpedo to more or less destroy the warbird in one shot.

To prove this myth, Grant Imahara, our resident robotics genius, will be donning the pointy ears, and will go under fire from our other mythbusters as he attempts to perform surgery on a torpedo..."
Captain
# 8
07-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Watched the rest of it. The hairdresser needs to give the lady playing Uhura a better 'do, and a few of the people (including, remarkably, Grant) are still feeling their way into the craft of acting, but overall not bad.

And the closing credits were amusing. Count how many times, and in how many capacities, the name Vic Mignogna comes up. He must have really wanted to finish this production...

Commander
# 9
07-18-2013, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Watched the rest of it. The hairdresser needs to give the lady playing Uhura a better 'do, and a few of the people (including, remarkably, Grant) are still feeling their way into the craft of acting, but overall not bad.

And the closing credits were amusing. Count how many times, and in how many capacities, the name Vic Mignogna comes up. He must have really wanted to finish this production...
Sure, the cast of fan films really are "feeling their way into the craft of acting." But the same thing was true of TOS and in Shatner's case literally. I mean his hand gesture enunciations are legendary to this day. Pretend your Kirk for a moment and call out "Spock!" with feeling. I bet your hands spread out in front of you like clutching a water melon... Just like Shatner feeling for an audience.

None of these fan films are filled by big time pro actors or names. They are very passionate fans spending their own money from day jobs to make their shows happen because they love Star Trek. As such their are groups that do amazingly well and I don't want to be too hard on them. I can't help but think of Brian Cawley (the Kirk actor from Phase II.) Guy makes his living as an Elvis impersonator and takes his income to buy materials for hand made sets and costumes he makes in his free time in an old building he bought and then acts the part of Kirk amongst many other duties.... O.o

He isn't Lucas or Spielberg but he gives me real Trek stories in a time where there are none. Lord bless em all. Fan films every where.

Last edited by zdfx19; 07-18-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Captain
# 10
07-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Don't get me wrong - the story was good, the sort of thing we might have seen in TOS if Roddenberry had cared about continuity a quarter as much as some posters seem to think. Some really good lines, too, and a strong ending, although the last bit on the Bridge felt forced - I would have expected Spock to have had a better comeback, it's not the first time he's dealt with Kirk and McCoy teasing him. And Chris Doohan's interpretation of Scotty is less, well, reserved than his father's, although that could simply be part of the natural result of changing actors.

It was also interesting to see the first ship's counselor - and let's face it, if any crew needed a staff counselor, it was Kirk's Enterprise. I did find her almost distractingly beautiful, but maybe that's just me.

(Oh, and speaking of counselors, I was impressed by who they got to do the computer voice.)

Overall, I'm looking forward to episode 2.