Lt. Commander
Guys, a minor thing so dont shout at me too laudly but just wanted a post on here to ask Cryptic to post times (downtime etc) in GMT as well as PST. Us timezones are a pain in the ass as there are more than one of them. Much of the world works out its time relative to GMT not PST!

Great game by the way!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 05:25 AM
+1 to that
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 05:30 AM
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?

In my Google homepage I have a world clocks app with the times of all MMO's I play.

* It is -8 UTC.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 05:32 AM
PST is GMT-8.

Except during daylight savings time when its GMT-7, March 14 - Nov 7 for 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCorvus
'cause it is hard to look up what PST is relative to UTC (no one important uses GMT any more) amirite*?

In my Google homepage I have a world clocks app with the times of all MMO's I play.

* It is -8 UTC.
another useful and not in any way pointless response!

No its not hard to look it up but i dont want to have to. The world clock is set relative to GMT, so everyone uses it ********
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Nope, you are wrong. Google does not equal the world.
I can only assume you don't live in the UK. Europe also looks for GMT too because of their offset from it.
Had this been an MMO made by a European company (for instance Funcom) they would naturally quote in GMT and as well their own local time (CET).

Why? Because its common courtesy and professional to quote times both in respect to local time and other appropriate and relative time zones. In specific regards to STO, quoting downtime schedules in PST and GMT (perhaps even in EST too) would make the message clearer and be more helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
another useful and not in any way pointless response!

No its not hard to look it up but i dont want to have to. The world clock is set relative to GMT, so everyone uses it ********
Wow, and they say Americans are self centered.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
No it is set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). No one cares about Greenwich or Britain any more. Oh and they aren't the same (UTC is from atomic clock sources, GMT is from solar observation and less accurate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Nope, you are wrong.
I can only assume you don't live in the UK.

Besides, its common courtesy to quote in both local time and other appropriate and relative time zones for the sake of clarity.

Posting downtimes etc in PST and GMT (perhaps even in EST too) would make the message clearer.
And I assume you and most of the other posters do. I live in Australia (UTC +10 here on the east coast) and so converting from PST or UTC is about the same difficulty.

And my preference would be for just UTC. I have no idea why MMO companies seem to think their customers give a rats what local time is, especially given the time zone disparity in the US alone.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
No it is set to UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). No one cares about Greenwich or Britain any more. Oh and they aren't the same (UTC is from atomic clock sources, GMT is from solar observation and less accurate).

And I assume you and most of the other posters do. I live in Australia (UTC +10 here on the east coast) and so converting from PST or UTC is about the same difficulty.

And my preference would be for just UTC. I have no idea why MMO companies seem to think their customers give a rats what local time is, especially given the time zone disparity in the US alone.
Common courtesy isnt exactly rife with US developers is it? Regardless of your UTC - what time reference anywhere doesnt also quote in GMT? Mostly all do. I can only assume that you are an Aussies with your blind, comical and vaguely petty hatrid of all things British - while you all whine we sit back and grin and smile benevolently
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashnaheen View Post
PST is GMT-8.

Except during daylight savings time when its GMT-7, March 14 - Nov 7 for 2010.
Ok so most of europe have to add 8h to PST, then remove one hour if daylight saving is in place and again add +x hours to het their own timezone. instead of just checking maintenance start at 18 GMT so its 19 for me.

Everyone in US should know what is their timezone compared to PST and most or remaining workd know what is it in GMT. Even in most applications or operation system you chose your timezone in GMT +- x hours.