Lt. Commander
It seems some people are actually debating that the multi-colored weapons should be left in the game. Here is a list of reasons why this is a terrible idea.

1. The standard accepted canon colors for weapons in the TNG/DS9/VOY era are as follows: Phasers- Orange, Disruptors- Green, Photons- Orange, Quantums- Blue, Plasma Torps- Green. To go against this would be a terrible idea as it's what the majority of fans expect to see.

2. The devs have gone to great lengths in the past to make sure we would be able to recognize configurations. For instance, that is why all 3 classes in a archetype look the same. The same would logically go for weapons. We need to be able to tell what type of weapon is being used on us by the color.

3. Blue phasers were part of the Gamestop preorder bonus. To give anyone the ability to use blue phasers would be unfair.

What most of the proponents of keeping this ability fail to realize is that Star Trek is a beloved IP with 40+ years of lore. You can't just go tinkering with weapon colors and expect Star Trek fans to take it in stride.

So in conclusion, thanks devs, for taking this bug out of the game. Keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:35 AM
What bug?

This was working exactly as intended it's suddenly that the devs have realised that they haven't removed the command line from the champions engine.

And I bet we haven't seen the end of this, I reckon the c-store will be full of weapon colour changes, if you pay the suitable fee of course.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
It seems some people are actually debating that the multi-colored weapons should be left in the game. Here is a list of reasons why this is a terrible idea.

1. The standard accepted canon colors for weapons in the TNG/DS9/VOY era are as follows: Phasers- Orange, Disruptors- Green, Photons- Orange, Quantums- Blue, Plasma Torps- Green. To against this would be a terrible idea as it's what the majority of fans expect to see.

2. The devs have gone to great lengths in the past to make sure we would be able to recognize configurations. For instance, that is why all 3 classes in a archetype look the same. The same would logically go for weapons. We need to be able to tell what type of weapon is being used on us by the color.

3. Blue phasers were part of the Gamestop preorder bonus. To give anyone the ability to use blue phasers would be unfair.

So in conclusion, thanks devs, for taking this bug out of the game.
The development team also stated that from launch forward content would be player driven, so it's not totally out of the ball park yet as a feature in some other form.

Also, the sheer numbers of posts in those other threads about this very subject invalidate the last Sentence in point number 1 : To go against this would be a terrible idea as it's what the majority of fans expect : Seems to me so far that the majority would prefer customization over cannon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
It's in the future. 90% of the stuff in game like ships, uniforms, weapons, etc. are not canon because they did not appear in any of the series or movies. When stuff happens in the future anything is possible, like multiple uniform styles and colors. Why were all these uniforms added then if it is not canon? Why is that not a problem, but color phasers is? It called customization and it's a good thing that can be applied to a lot of things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
They didn't retrofit the champions engine. Both were built on the Cryptic Engine. It's obviously a bug, as I am quite sure the devs wouldn't go against canon to that degree.
Lt. Commander
# 6
4. The ability to customize your weapon color like that was an accidental inclusion from the same engine used in Champions Online, and never intentionally added to STO.

Really guys, get over it, there's nothing written anywhere suggesting you're entitled to magically change the color of your phasers.

Come to think of it, do we really need a whole new thread for this? I'm sure we've been over this ground in one of the various official dev replied threads.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathaxle
What bug?

This was working exactly as intended it's suddenly that the devs have realised that they haven't removed the command line from the champions engine.

And I bet we haven't seen the end of this, I reckon the c-store will be full of weapon colour changes, if you pay the suitable fee of course.
DING! DING! DING! I think we have a winner on the real reason it will be removed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisa
It's in the future. 90% of the stuff in game like ships, uniforms, weapons, etc. are not canon because they did not appear in any of the series or movies. When stuff happens in the future anything is possible, like multiple uniform styles and colors. Why were all these uniforms added then if it is not canon? Why is that not a problem, but color phasers is? It called customization and it's a good thing that can be applied to a lot of things.
The top reason is the ability to recognize a configuration by it's color. It is a terrible idea to leave people in the dark about what is shooting at them. Also, as far as I know, CBS is considering this game soft canon. The fact that there is a novel based on the game confirms this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Better to take it out. I dont really care that much, but thats the thing: The majority of people who think its better to remove it probably dont really care that much. The majority of people who want to keep it in will probably be more vocal about it.

So dont take what you read on the forums as what the population as a whole would prefer.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
The top reason is the ability to recognize a configuration by it's color. It is a terrible idea to leave people in the dark about what is shooting at them.
Not sure I understand this. You won't know someones configuration until they fire at you and you cannot change equipment in combat. You will still have to anticipate and wager a guess.

Besides, this is not the top reason, it's about an alleged breach of canon.