Lt. Commander
# 1 Skill Point question
02-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Allrighty, so I've been leveling a lieutenant and I've just been throwing skill points and maxing out lieutenant captain skills.

So my question. With there being a skill point cap, should I be saving skill points picked up as a lieutenant to spend on lieutenant commander skills?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 04:44 AM
No. You have to spend those skill points to become a Lieutenant Commander; if you don't spend them you'll be a Lieutenant forever; and it's the early skills that're actually important as they offer more 'global' benefits to all skills (wheras, later skills are highly specialized and offer a bigger bonus to a smaller number of things)
Lt. Commander
# 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Allrighty, so I've been leveling a lieutenant and I've just been throwing skill points and maxing out lieutenant captain skills.

So my question. With there being a skill point cap, should I be saving skill points picked up as a lieutenant to spend on lieutenant commander skills?
1. There will be a skill point cap.

2. You won't rank up to lt. commander untill you've spent a certain amount of skill points. So saving all your points isn't gonna work.
Lt. Commander
# 4
We already answered this in your other topic, did you really need to make a second?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeyan
We already answered this in your other topic, did you really need to make a second?
Yah, realized I put it in the discussion forum and not the question forum. Felt bad but couldn't close the topic.

Thanks for the answers. I'll go on spending away.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 05:14 AM
I think it is important to do a little skill point planning. You have to spend 6700 skill points in the Lt. phase of the game, which translates to 67 skills you can purchase. There are 11 skills on the tier with 9 levels each, which translates to 99 possible levels.

You will be able to afford 67/99 of them. You have to spend a few points at the ensign level during the tutorial, which I think is like 400. (I could be wrong) but you basically will be "forced" to buy 70/99 of the possible levels.

You will almost certainly want to have level 9: in Command, Projectile, Energy Weapons and Warp Core. This eats up 36 of your levels.

The 2nd level requires that you spent 12,000 points to level up to Commander. Each skill costs 200 at this level, which means you roughly can buy 60 levels, but the possibilities go up with no 17 different skills with 9 levels each; a total of 153.

This is where important decisions about your character need to be made. Do you want beams or cannons? Probably best to pick one at this point and put your 1800 points into either or. If you dont use mines, then no sense putting any points into that. Focus on torpedo weapons.

You should, at this point, decide what kind of science tactics you want to employ. Do you want a tractor beam? Do you want to jam/scramble sensors? Etc...Focus on this area.

As you get farther along everything gets more specific.

Think of it like being in school. You start off and early on learn a little bit about everything (grade school) nothing really deep just broad strokes. You move on to High School and have specific subjects, delving deeper into specific issues, but still learning little bits of info about many things.

Then comes college, you pick a major, area to focus on extensively. You have some electives, but focus on your area. Finally is Grad school where its very very targetting to a specif topic in most cases.

The nice thing about this game is that by the time you arrive to the point where you need to make big decisions you will have developed a distinct style of play and will already have some idea of what you want to do.

Good Luck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Very nicely explained!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpower34 View Post

Think of it like being in school. You start off and early on learn a little bit about everything (grade school) nothing really deep just broad strokes. You move on to High School and have specific subjects, delving deeper into specific issues, but still learning little bits of info about many things.

Then comes college, you pick a major, area to focus on extensively. You have some electives, but focus on your area. Finally is Grad school where its very very targetting to a specif topic in most cases.

The nice thing about this game is that by the time you arrive to the point where you need to make big decisions you will have developed a distinct style of play and will already have some idea of what you want to do.

Good Luck.