Captain
# 1021
02-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity75 View Post
I would like to download the program(s) those of you that have used that throw up all sorts of red flags. I have put ARC through Malwarebytes, Bazooka and Spyware blaster and no flags were raised and have also run it through AVG and Norton with the same results. I'm not discounting the positive results that pop up threats for other users but would like to see something tangible for myself. I've never been the lucky type so something just doesn't sit right with all that I've read and my results.

I play STO only and was a steam user (also the only game I played on steam) but so far for the past month and a half of using ARC nothing has changed on my end.

Just help me understand if 5 programs show no threats, what am I missing?
You're missing paranoia. You're also missing a racist conviction that if a particular software package is produced by a company headquartered in China, then of course it must be spyware, malware, and a virus. All at the same time.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Career Officer
# 1022
02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm happy enough that the program doesn't try to shoehorn itself into my startup queue. That said, I would like to know what it is that the Arc plugin does on the website that should be reason for me to allow it to execute...

I use only one account to post on the forums, but I have two accounts on which I play STO. This main lifetime alt-infested one on which I own almost every C-store ship and where I slave diligently in the dilithium mines for the Overlord (fleet starbase) and another I've started recently to play through the reworked Federation missions, without all the flashy C-store and vet award junk, for the whole nostalgia of a simpler, worry-free time, when the only people who were upset were the Klingons.

If it's going to mess with which account I'm signed in on the site, I don't want to give that plugin permission to run. Cause I can't see what it could possibly do (for me) that cookies aren't doing already.
Reave
Career Officer
# 1023
02-11-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm on the fence about ARC.

My problem is what I read about this ongoing process once the game starts.

I just need to know what its doing.

Answer me that satisfactorily and I D/L Arc the same day.
Ensign
# 1024
02-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Couldn't care less about arc so long as I can launch sto through steam. I guarantee you I will never install another digital distribution system except for steam, though, merely by principle.
Ensign
# 1025
02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Honestly, Arc seems fine except for lacking overlay chat support (which says it is coming). I previously ran STO through Steam and I noticed that when running the game out of Steam, either directly from the .exe or through Arc I don't have framerate issues and the wewird 2-3 minutes hiccup startup (where the game begins at 1-2 FPS and remains that way for almost three minutes!).

Steam runs many games in compatibility mode to support the overlay, so for anyone who has had framerate issues or slow loading, I would definitely recommend using Arc or loading the games directly.

Seems to help minor framerate issues I had running NWO through Steam as well. Very odd.
Lieutenant
# 1026
02-11-2014, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
You're missing paranoia. You're also missing a racist conviction that if a particular software package is produced by a company headquartered in China, then of course it must be spyware, malware, and a virus. All at the same time.
I couldn't care less what country it came from. If a program insists on running long after I have no further use for it, sucks down several times the memory it has any business doing, refuses to tell me what it's actually doing with any of those resources, attempts to supplant/takeover my native web browser, and has an EULA that effectively gives it access to every single byte of data on my hard drive, it's spyware. End of discussion.
Captain
# 1027
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazapsky View Post
I couldn't care less what country it came from. If a program insists on running long after I have no further use for it, sucks down several times the memory it has any business doing, refuses to tell me what it's actually doing with any of those resources, attempts to supplant/takeover my native web browser, and has an EULA that effectively gives it access to every single byte of data on my hard drive, it's spyware. End of discussion.
So, STO is spyware. End of discussion.

So is every other MMO out there.

(You, ah, did read the EULA before signing it, right?)
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Lieutenant
# 1028
02-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post

(You, ah, did read the EULA before signing it, right?)
Apparently, you didn't. The EULA of STO (and any other MMO) gives them the rights to check for known cheating/hacking programs, and nothing more. The EULA of Arc doesn't specify ANY limits on what they can look at - it pretty bluntly states your entire HD is up for grabs.
Lt. Commander
# 1029
02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani2 View Post
1) A lot of people fear the unknown and there is a lot of unknowns surrounding Arc
2) It feels like something is being forced on us (not the first time if you've been here long enough to remember the forum merger)
3) It adds no functionality that is essential to the game
4) It takes away some functionality of the game like running multiple clients on the same machine
5) It adds an extra server that can and will go down that we must access to play the game
6) It uses more than the insignificant amount of resources that has been claimed be the Arc PR

Some of these points have workaround for now while we can still close Arc after launching the game through the task manager but if that is ever taken away every point becomes very valid and unavoidable.
I absolutely agree with this especially with the adds no further functionality to STO. It?s just another HOOP for the player base to needlessly jump thru.

Ask yourselves some basic questions:

1. How does Arc benefit the Star Trek Online player in ANY way shape or form?

2. Who does Arc REALLY benefit?

3. Does ARC offer ANY LONG TERM benefits at all to the Star Trek Online community at all?

4. It?s Really worth having all the additional headaches and frustrations that WILL come with having a 3rd party style launcher in place?
Career Officer
# 1030
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I just want to know what ARC does once the game is launched.

Apparently its still active and, even talking to some entities via the internet.

Tell me whats happening there, then I'll know whether or not to install it.

However, without clarity on that singular point, I don't know why anyone sensible would run this software.
Closed Thread