Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,023
# 1631
03-12-2014, 05:08 PM
I was launching STO through ARC today. Holodeck was already patched up. I noted Redshirt had returned. I chose to not patch Redshirt. But I casually decided that I would patch Tribble to test out some of the new features to be found this week. My files were up-to-date as of last week. I didn't think that the current feature - Kit Mods - was inordinately large a file size, However, the download seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of time.

I, of course, checked the usual suspects first. Was a roommate playing an MMO, streaming Netflix or what have you? No competing downloads at home.

So I decided to stop patching. Exit ARC. Restart the STO launcher and then patch Tribble. ZOOM. My patch time more than halved. Make of that what you will.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 91
# 1632
03-12-2014, 07:12 PM
some of you should pop over to rift forums and see that there doing the same thing but there's is called glyph. btw these companies don't care what you people think they will prolly make it mandatory like glyph for rift and maybe some people will leave but those new people that have never played the game will gladly use arc and glyph and life will go on. will i use it nope because i don't want just like alot of you but we will most likely end up looking for something else to play because i don't want more bloatware on my computer. i had fun playing the game and im glad i didn't spend that much money on it. but hey that's the truth of it
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,784
Hello all.

Being human (or at least resembling one) I'm a little resistant to change. At first I was resistant to the new website design but now I've come to like it.

I would like to request that two features be brought back, however.

1) Please bring back the server up / server down indicator. I found that to be of immense use.

2) When a release patch is announced can you please let us know how long the servers are going o be down? Granted, sometimes there are unforeseen delays, but knowing roughly how long it's going to be down for is missed.

The rest of the site, I think it's very functional and it looks better, too.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,276
# 1634
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Hello all.

Being human (or at least resembling one) I'm a little resistant to change. At first I was resistant to the new website design but now I've come to like it.

I would like to request that two features be brought back, however.

1) Please bring back the server up / server down indicator. I found that to be of immense use.

2) When a release patch is announced can you please let us know how long the servers are going o be down? Granted, sometimes there are unforeseen delays, but knowing roughly how long it's going to be down for is missed.

The rest of the site, I think it's very functional and it looks better, too.
You're in the right place for number two: whenever you come to the Galactic New Network portion of the message boards and you see a post reading "Server Maintenance", the first post will tell you how long it'll take.

Unless you mean you want it on the main page, then yeah, I can sympathize.
Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 290
# 1635
03-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezstravus View Post
Hey Everyone,

We've got a beta version of our new website and Arc client ready for your feedback.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561

Please take a look and let us know what you think.

Absolutely HIDEOUS. Do not like it. Do not want it.

Two thumbs down.
Husker - RugBurn
Zaan - Mel'Kor - Zarek
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,702
# 1636
03-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakal122481 View Post
some of you should pop over to rift forums and see that there doing the same thing but there's is called glyph. btw these companies don't care what you people think they will prolly make it mandatory like glyph for rift and maybe some people will leave but those new people that have never played the game will gladly use arc and glyph and life will go on. will i use it nope because i don't want just like alot of you but we will most likely end up looking for something else to play because i don't want more bloatware on my computer. i had fun playing the game and im glad i didn't spend that much money on it. but hey that's the truth of it
yeah, i guess your right. I put way too much into this game (lifetime sub for champs and sto), as i thought i would be able to play them forever. Why oh why do you treat me this way PWE? Im locked outta champs now due to ARC's ....beta...test??, my launcher no longer works. $300...gone...soon to be $600 when im locked outta sto (not including 1000's in zen purchases for both) =T.T=

I had thought about trying for a fundraiser to try to get trek fans around the globe to raise enough in cash to buy majority stock in cryptic and get PWE's hands off of it, but I was reminded of something by someone today, gamers arent trekkies...a trekkie is loyal to the genre, a gamers loyalties are determined by who can bribe them the best, heck when the "KHAAAAN!" costume came out I jumped at the shinys myself ^^; so I guess it will be just that, another come-and-go game on the generic board with only candy crush breed of players for its future...and star trek as a franchise will be nothing more then Heavy Metal magazine with the canon names...meh..

I will leave it on the table as is, if I can play the game without arc, i will continue to...but im not buying zen when my time is limited and have to go through arc! That would be dumb!! IM glad the Devs mentioned they appreciate our support for all this time, but as nice as it was to hear it, it will still sting when that ARC door slams in my face! :O

PWE: "NO soup for ju!"

Every episode of TNG if written by STO_How Picard dealt with ARC_Cat hug_No to ARC!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,459
# 1637
03-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Cat, the standalone launchers for both CO and STO still work fine. There will come a day when they are disabled, but that day is not yet.

And when it does come, just use Steam. You're only "excluded" if you choose to be.
-------------------------------------------
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!" - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
# 1638
03-12-2014, 10:34 PM
It seems the staggering majority of players (including myself) absolutely cannot stand and does not want arc.


Yet, they're still forcing it on us. So is this thread really about feedback? Do they really care? Obviously not.


My feedback? Give me the choice of doing it the old way, the way that still works 100%. Give me the option of using the old website, the website that still works 100%. I don't want to be assaulted by this cheap steam knockoff that's loaded with monitoring software, and is only designed to tickle the fancies of new players, and barely functions with any remote reliability.

Last edited by burningironeagle; 03-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Career Officer
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 381
# 1639
03-13-2014, 12:33 PM
No, they're not listening to us this time. Arc will become mandatory and then I'll have to choose between being excessively spied upon or giving up a game I like and money I spent.


Tough choice. Both suck balls.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 77
# 1640
03-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Cat, the standalone launchers for both CO and STO still work fine. There will come a day when they are disabled, but that day is not yet.

And when it does come, just use Steam. You're only "excluded" if you choose to be.
That'll be a valid suggestion when they explain just how Steam is going to bypass the Arc gimmick. They have yet to do so.
Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 PM.