Survivor of Romulus
# 1721
03-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
Still don't see the big fuss about ARC.
It's new and different and it eats babies and steals your soul dontcha know?
Commander
# 1722
03-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmaster101 View Post
me niether, it does nothing that Steam/NC soft launcher/Battle.net launcher does not do really, and yeah, it takes up a slightly bigger chunk of computer memory, It is in beta, and Chrome/Firefox tabs are just as bad and yet no one says anything about them.
Steam allows you to create and use desktop shortcuts that allow you to bypass their interface completely. Does Arc allow this (I am actually asking as I have not used Arc)?
My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
Captain
# 1723
03-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdhippies View Post
Steam allows you to create and use desktop shortcuts that allow you to bypass their interface completely. Does Arc allow this (I am actually asking as I have not used Arc)?
ARC allows you to use their system while turning off all the ARC features - effectively just making it a STO Launcher.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 1724
03-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Um, Steam games still use steam no matter what, you HAVE to have steam active to play any steam game.
Commander
# 1725
03-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmaster101 View Post
Um, Steam games still use steam no matter what, you HAVE to have steam active to play any steam game.
That is not what I asked.

Of course Steam has to be running, but when using the desktop shortcut you don't have to open the Steam browser and wait for it to load and render before you can start STO's launcher.
My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread

Last edited by jagdhippies; 03-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Captain
# 1726
03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Quote:

Of course Steam has to be running, but when using the desktop shortcut you don't have to open the Steam browser and wait for it to load and render before you can start STO's launcher.
It doesn't do that yet. At least, not that I've seen. If they don't, it should. Would be easier.

Anywho, I think I can see why people are crying "PWE isn't listening to us!": A lot of the naysayers are ultimately the true minority - there are 14 games running with PWE and while STO is certainly the loudest, it's probably the same people over and over proclaiming that ARC is the devil. IMO, I find the ultimate majority to be the "I don't care, I just want to play the game" people, of which I'm honestly part of.
Survivor of Romulus
# 1727
03-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Hellloooooooo, feedback readers!

While y'all are planning what new "sucker them into our other games" pseudo-features to move heaven and earth implementing, this ARCgames.com web site could really benefit from something non-useless, like an Ignore List feature. Y'know, like y'all see the clear need for in the games?

Just sayin', of course. Feel free to go back to your grindstorming sessions and "how to make them grind other games" seminars.
Career Officer
# 1728
03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloishammer View Post
Hellloooooooo, feedback readers!

While y'all are planning what new "sucker them into our other games" pseudo-features to move heaven and earth implementing, this ARCgames.com web site could really benefit from something non-useless, like an Ignore List feature. Y'know, like y'all see the clear need for in the games?

Just sayin', of course. Feel free to go back to your grindstorming sessions and "how to make them grind other games" seminars.
I think thats what moderators are for, they police whats acceptable and not, if you placed people on ignore (take the bad men away, they offend me!) what would be the point of public discussion, look what that did to youtube. If you need to write on the board, you just gotta take the good with the bad. Not everyone will see eye to eye, but if you feel your point or post is too weak of a position to survive a debate, dont get mad and want to shut out negative or disagreeing responses...then you defeat the whole purpose of publicly posting. But that goes both ways, if you see something you dont agree with, just tell em why (I dont mean, "I hate him so hes wrong!")...if you see someone posting that you already dont like, stop to think (do i hate his/her post because I already find him offensive at first glance or does his/her submission deserve at least an honest once over in case something they say does merit your attention, and offer a legitimate point?) If you only had the stability to handle positive feedback you might not yet be ready to fill tough public speaking shoes like mine.

Ive been drilled since i first came here, people even shouting with pleasure in announcing they came to my thread to purposely derail it lol (cat haters!)

Look at me, I have made the point that I want to keep my original launcher, I gave reasons why, I backed up my claims by using info about the negative aspects (cryptic/pwe released) that made me come to this conclusion, and the positive ones as to how this would also benefit me and them should I retain my launcher. I stood by everything I said and never steered you wrong, going off and hanging on the companys every word to make sure I had my facts strait before posting. ...but also taking time to poke fun at ARC, because it was fun and easy to do.
PWE Fail________=^.^=________Isaiah 5:20

Doing the right thing rarely makes you popular, but it does make you whole.
How Picard dealt with ARC! <clip>Kungfu
Career Officer
# 1729
03-22-2014, 06:29 PM
You know, a neat idea just came to mind concerning this....

What if you implemented a reward system, since the "Nerfbaiters Division of Players" are always on the look out for reasons to tell on other players, lets put that dedication to good use; why not instead of relying on ARC (and letting us choose if we want it) you can setup a reward system to report goldsellers and earn dilithium or something for every positive find they report. Just play NSA and tag certain words, that appear in open chat or in the mail to weed em out? But be fair and just watch em and see if they are really doing the dastardly deed, or if someones just out for revenge or mischief.

As for cheats, if there where any in the game, the designers could just remove the cheat code triggers that activate them. I Know cheats where originally added in for testers before the game was (console games) where released for shortcuts to get to one point or another quicker to address bugs and fixes during the beta testing. Resourceful gamers found em and cheat code magazines, books and website are now booming. Too bad STO doesnt have DK mode. :3

But who would need to cheat, my 2 favorite cheats are already apart of the game, "unlimited ammo" and "unlimited lives" ...with that as a freebee you should be able to rule this game!
PWE Fail________=^.^=________Isaiah 5:20

Doing the right thing rarely makes you popular, but it does make you whole.
How Picard dealt with ARC! <clip>Kungfu
Rihannsu
# 1730
03-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Quote:

I cun run Champions without Arc turned on and I installed Champions via Arc.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.