Career Officer
# 521
01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
If it checks my hard-drives once for PWE products that's fine. All it needs is a single runtime scan after installing. From that point forward... once ARC is integrated into my system... It should know when I install ANYTHING involving PWE. And it would be a simple matter for the program to do a checksum style test on any and all PWE products I use to determine if I'm a hacker.

Given the way it integrates into my system both of those things should be no challenge to implement.

Instead, EVERY TIME I open up Arc, all four drives light up, the system slows to a craw and stays this way for 10-15 min. All of my network functions outside of Arc/STO slow to a crawl too while ARC is running. It's doing something in the background and I have no idea what.

I'm running six cores, 32 gig of ram, 1 year old video card, Windows 7.

So what the heck is it doing if not scanning my hard-drives? And why does it usurp control of my connection and throttle everything?

Are you sure it's actually ARC doing this itself and not ARC interacting oddly with an existing program?
Rihannsu
# 522
01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
My $0.02...

The New Client:
* The "Do not send data to PWE/Cryptic" option(s) seems to have vanished without a trace. This needs to come back, and this needs to work.
* Not a huge fan of Tiles. There is a reason I am avoiding Windows 8 like it has pneumonia, tuberculosis, the bubonic plague, lice, and BO. That would be Tiles/Metro, if you couldn't guess.
* Social features are a waste of screen real-estate. Option to hide/disable would be nice. (Yes, I'm more or less anti-social on the internets)
* Overlay - Can we have an option to just disable this? I hate (Can't stress that enough) that it interferes with playing the game when you are trying to do too many things at the same time (tab-targeting and running, mostly). I would never use the overlay features anyway. I *only* use Steam's overlay in Skyrim to tab out safely.
* I have concerns about the browser's security settings, as others have stated. I use Firefox and NoScript. I don't want to use another browser that doesn't let me change whether or not Javascript runs, preferably granularly by script source..

I don't think that Arc is as bad as some people have made it out to be, but at the same time it needs some work.

The New Website:
* The Games banner is way too obtrusive. Frankly I don't care about the other games. That bar should be hidden at the top under "Games"
* See above about "Tiles"
* No quick link to patch notes - Patch notes and news are the only reasons I visit the site.
Starfleet Veteran
# 523
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorbluebox View Post
My problem with it, is making it Mandatory.

I want to use Star Trek Online through Steam, as it is now.
I believe the options were either steam or arc. you should not be effected.
Career Officer
# 524
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genrldestruction View Post
[...]
* Overlay - Can we have an option to just disable this? I hate (Can't stress that enough) that it interferes with playing the game when you are trying to do too many things at the same time (tab-targeting and running, mostly). I would never use the overlay features
[...]
The New Website:
* The Games banner is way too obtrusive. Frankly I don't care about the other games. That bar should be hidden at the top under "Games"
* See above about "Tiles"
* No quick link to patch notes - Patch notes and news are the only reasons I visit the site.[/...]
agree with you on the website, one bit of advice for the overlay, you can change the trigger key in arc settings, I recommend changing it to something you wont accidently push, for me it's F2

Check out my ideas for the game here
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-F
First., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon Wolf
Wolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Captain
# 525
01-10-2014, 05:32 PM
If I remember you can turn it off completely in the settings as well
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Career Officer
# 526
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
The licensing agreement during Arc installation: Arc is not guaranteed to be safe or even free from viruses.

Read this whole section For those of you who believe the software is spying on you, well........it might and we agree to let it happen if it does.
[4. Disclaimer and consents]:
Quote:
(j) You understand and agree that the Software may monitor and communicate information from your computer, including without limitation information relating to hardware capacity, modifications and the presence of unauthorized third party programs, including programs that enable or facilitate cheating or obtaining an unfair advantage of any kind, allow users to modify or hack any portion of the Software or the Service (other than as expressly authorized by PWE) *snip*
I don't have a mobile device, but for those that do this part may concern you:
Quote:
(m) When you run our Software by or through a mobile device, we may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store ?location data,? which may include GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device. Location data may convey to us information about how you browse and use the Service. Some features of the Service, particularly location-based services, may not function properly if use or availability of location data is impaired or disabled.
[5. Indemnification.] and [6. Limitation of Liability.] I'm no legal expert, but it sounds like we are being forced to agree that no matter what happens, we can't hold any of them responsible for it.

If you install Arc and your dog suddenly explodes and it can be scientifically proven there is a connection, you can't hold them responsible.

If their software overheats your computer to the point the motherboard is fried and can't be fixed and you need to replace the whole computer, you can't hold them responsible.

Since there is no guarantee their software will be free from viruses, or safe, they could intentionally add such a thing to it, and you can't hold them responsible. (I don't know what they mean by "safe" but I'm guessing it means "safe from being spied on")

Although [6. Limitation of Liability.]
Quote:
(c) SOME STATES IN THE U.S. DO NOT ALLOW THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY, SO THEY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND IN SUCH A CASE YOU AGREE THAT OUR (OR ANY SUCH OTHER RELEASED PARTIES') LIABILITY TO YOU SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. YOU AGREE THAT WE CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANYTHING THAT OCCURS OR RESULTS FROM USING, ACCESSING OR SUBSCRIBING TO THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE.
This is confusing. First they acknowledge that some states don't allow them to forgo liability, but then turn around and say you can't hold them liable. Which is it?

Quote:
9. Governing Law; Jurisdiction. Unless expressly prohibited by local law, this Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of California, without regard to any conflict of law principles to the contrary. You hereby irrevocably consent to jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in San Mateo County, California with respect to any proceeding regarding this Agreement or the Software. You will not prosecute any action, suit, proceeding or claim arising under or by reason of this Agreement or the Software except in such courts. The U.N. Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods or any successor thereto is expressly disclaimed and does not apply to this Agreement.
This means that they go by only the laws of California, unless other local/state laws says they have to abide by their laws instead. It also means that if you have to sue them for any reason, you have to go all the way to a proper court in California to do so.

Pretty standard stuff I guess.
I use to be with it. But I don't remember what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 01-10-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Career Officer
# 527
01-10-2014, 06:31 PM
When installation for Arc was complete, the installshield window had checked boxes for launching Arc, having Arc run at windows startup, and to allow Arc to gather and submit data to PWE.

The box for gathering and submitting data was checked by default and I had to uncheck it (I forgot how exactly it was worded). It was stated that we would be opted OUT automatically and would have to manually opt IN if we wanted to share data with PWE. For those who just click the Finish button once installation is complete without paying attention, you will be opted in to allow data to be collected and sent to PWE/Cryptic, or whoever.

In the Arc browser settings, the option to opt out/in of data sharing is nowhere to be found, despite being reassured we can change this option whenever we want. The only way to opt out or in of allowing PWE/Cryptic from gathering and transmitting data from our computer to them is to completely uninstall Arc and reinstall it then check/uncheck the box in the window before clicking the Finish button.

Here is proof the option isn't present: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/160...0/834/lciz.jpg

Edit: Nothing in My Account settings either. For the Privacy tab all I see is 'Profile sharing, Online status, Friends list, and Receive message' options, but still nothing for opting out or in of information sharing with PWE/Cryptic.

Edit: This is the only time you see this option. I have put a box around it in the screenshot. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/160...90/30/eilw.jpg
I use to be with it. But I don't remember what "it" was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 01-10-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Ensign
# 528
01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post
When installation for Arc was complete, the installshield window had checked boxes for launching Arc, having Arc run at windows startup, and to allow Arc to gather and submit data to PWE.
Interesting fact about ToS, any click to agree ToS that changes their terms without spelling out exactly what those changes were in a front page announcement is rendered no longer legally binding in the United States.

There was a court ruling on it a couple years back.
Career Officer
# 529
01-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaernmina View Post
Interesting fact about ToS, any click to agree ToS that changes their terms without spelling out exactly what those changes were in a front page announcement is rendered no longer legally binding in the United States.

There was a court ruling on it a couple years back.
I didn't know that but it sounds like if they spell out what the changes are, they can still do whatever they want and force us to agree to it if we wish to continue using their goods and/or services.

P.S. You responded to the wrong post of mine lol. I know it was a long read, but you could have just deleted most of it.

Last edited by monkeybone13; 01-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Republic Veteran
# 530
01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by themarie View Post
Then why does it intrusively scan my hard-drives every time I use it? All four of them, all of my partitions?
It's looking for installed PWE/Cryptic games.
Closed Thread