Empire Veteran
As the title says. I think there is absolutely no reason for not being able to edit a spotlighted mission. There are several authors who have had spotlighted missions before like Purity 1, which have suffered from some very bad bugs.

I would like an explanation as to why authors can not fix the bugs that could potentially hurt their mission? And by explain I mean give a logical reason.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Actually the reason is pretty simple. When a mission is spotlighted, Cryptic is basically promoting your mission in front of the community. Branflakes vets any mission before it's spotlighted to make sure it isn't doing anything it shouldn't.

If an unscrupulous author had access to edit their spotlighted mission, the could submit a legitimately good mission and then subsequently change it to something bad after it's been published. Now Cryptic is promoting a bad mission and while it may get pulled eventually, it would still be a huge black eye for Cryptic.

@greendragoon
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-09-2014, 03:07 PM
I try to make missions which I can be proud of, trying to be better every mission or revamp. Going over "the limits" sort to speak, trying cool things, timings, changing whole maps to give a certain feeling...

But putting it up to Spotlight? No, not in the current way or form.
When I saw the "bug" with Purity 1 and how Zorbane was unable to edit something that could be fixed in a minute.

I want to keep control, as simple as that. If I lose potential reviews, so be it. I'm the boss of my story.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message (and inb4exploit!) ^^
Empire Veteran
# 4
01-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
Actually the reason is pretty simple. When a mission is spotlighted, Cryptic is basically promoting your mission in front of the community. Branflakes vets any mission before it's spotlighted to make sure it isn't doing anything it shouldn't.

If an unscrupulous author had access to edit their spotlighted mission, the could submit a legitimately good mission and then subsequently change it to something bad after it's been published. Now Cryptic is promoting a bad mission and while it may get pulled eventually, it would still be a huge black eye for Cryptic.
So because of trolls, legitimate authors can't fix gamebreaking bugs that may rise up?
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
01-09-2014, 03:11 PM
As a general rule, I look at spotlighting a lot like pre-internet game development. How many times can you remember seeing a bug on a Super Nintendo game? You make VERY sure your product is as spotless as it can be before you send it off because there's no going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkrik23 View Post
So because of trolls, legitimate authors can't fix gamebreaking bugs that may rise up?
No matter how good your community is, there will always be someone there to ruin it for everyone. Such is the nature of the internet.

EDIT: I will say that that in the past, Branflakes has said that he might consider pulling down a spotlight and allowing editing for a mission if a game-breaking bug develops. But you would have to make your case to him.

@greendragoon

Last edited by thegreendragoon1; 01-09-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 6
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Quote:
As a general rule, I look at spotlighting a lot like pre-internet game development. How many times can you remember seeing a bug on a Super Nintendo game? You make VERY sure your product is as spotless as it can be before you send it off because there's no going back.

No matter how good your community is, there will always be someone there to ruin it for everyone. Such is the nature of the internet.

EDIT: I will say that that in the past, Branflakes has said that he might consider pulling down a spotlight and allowing editing for a mission if a game-breaking bug develops. But you would have to make your case to him.
Well I'm glad there's the chance he might pull it, especially if it was a patch's fault.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Quote:
In ant proper system there's an abstraction layer where checks are done. There's not much different then letting cryptic retry the updated mission before allowing it to be republished.

Why not like an SVN, where you can keep a current version, and you can keep updating it. As soon as something's wrong... rollback.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message (and inb4exploit!) ^^
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Someone would still need to go in and vet a mission each time it's updated. Right now that person is just Branflakes. Plus with each new spotlight, the workload would increases.

@greendragoon
Empire Veteran
# 9
01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Don't the foundry devs have any say in matters like this?
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Only in developing the tool. They have no part in selecting and vetting spotlight mission.

@greendragoon