Lt. Commander
# 1
02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
err, you are aware that there allready were a ton of people playing this thanks to headstart, right ?
Lt. Commander
I posted this in another topic, but this is the only reason why. It all boils down to marketing.

There is an easy explanation for all of this. It has nothing to do with the digital distributors and EVERYTHING to do with Atari. Leave Cryptic out of it, they are the designer not the publisher. They aren't responsible for the game beyond what they develop in their studios.

The simple fact of the matter is this. Atari will NOT ALLOW the digital distributors to distribute at 12:01 am for one simple reason. It completely screws up all the retailers midnight launch events and sales. Think about it, if you can just get it at 12:01 am on release day, then there is no point in a midnight launch. ALL game releases are late for digital distribution purely for marketing and in-store retail sale purposes. It brings in money for places like Gamestop, EB Games, etc. So if you want to point fingers, don't point them at Steam, D2D, etc. Point them at the actual physical product retailers and Atari, its just how the industry works. Get you into the store, and they might be able to get you to purchase a few more products at their hyped up release event.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharni View Post
err, you are aware that there allready were a ton of people playing this thanks to headstart, right ?
You are aware that players who ordered the digital distribution versions of this game are not able to retrieve their retail keys for 7 more hours, right?

In any event, I'm in headstart, that's all well and good, I don't have my retail code to get my in game items, and neither does anyone else who ordered a digital copy.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Makes sense... But it's 9:13am EST and I still don't have my product key for my DL from Atari for the delux Digital DL.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 06:17 AM
What's your big revelation here? It's posted all over the place that the game doesn't officially launch, and therefore you should not be entering in retail keys (unless you get the midnight deal at Gamestop), until 10am PST. Why are you surprised then that the digital copies aren't available until the official launch time?

Is it really that hard to understand?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandajuice View Post
What's your big revelation here? It's posted all over the place that the game doesn't officially launch, and therefore you should not be entering in retail keys (unless you get the midnight deal at Gamestop), until 10am PST. Why are you surprised then that the digital copies aren't available until the official launch time?

Is it really that hard to understand?
Your pithy comment would hold a lot more water if the first 3 words on the launcher weren't "We are officially live!..."

Everyone who got a retail code at midnight releases in stores around the world, now has and have entered their retail codes and retrieved their exclusive items, but not digital distributions, we have to wait 7 more hours. So in short, you're not as smart as you think you are.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Because it takes time to download. They want too play when the Launch starts, not have to wait for a donload, that will take them ages.

All they have to do is send the keys out after the release time.

People can download the game ready, and then enter the key when they get it.

Not all that hard.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbladeuk
Because it takes time to download. They want too play when the Launch starts, not have to wait for a donload, that will take them ages.

All they have to do is send the keys out after the release time.

People can download the game ready, and then enter the key when they get it.

Not all that hard.
Nope, already downloaded the client 21 days ago, no download necessary, just need my retail key to claim my items, but gotta wait 7 hours. I'm fine with waiting, I just thought everyone else should know why we're waiting. It's all for marketing, and for exclusive agreements between physical retailers and Atari, just don't want people blaming Cryptic or the digital distributors for a purely Atari decision.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Yes the digital downloads do not unlock until 10am PST which is when the retail copy of the game is supposed to go on sale as Cryptic is located in California.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 06:29 AM
I didn't have my key this morning on the Atari DDE, but it appeared a few minutes ago. I also preordered it on Jan 8.