Starfleet Veteran
# 31
01-17-2014, 09:09 AM
You aren't going to get a new Trek TV series anytime soon. Bad Robot has first right of refusal on new IP. This is according to the admins of the Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 - Netflix campaign on Facebook. They've supposedly met with Branon Braga and other CBS executives pertaining to the situation. JJ won't allow a new Trek show on until his contract for the alternate universe expires. He doesn't want competition with the Star Wars project he's working on.

He did however say, that Enterprise was before his alternate universe split off from the Prime, and he would not be adverse to a continuation of that series- just nothing new.

You can question the admins about the veracity of their claim on their FB page. Doug Drexler of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fame will most likely vouch for them.
Survivor of Romulus
# 32
01-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
You aren't going to get a new Trek TV series anytime soon. Bad Robot has first right of refusal on new IP. This is according to the admins of the Star Trek Enterprise Season 5 - Netflix campaign on Facebook. They've supposedly met with Branon Braga and other CBS executives pertaining to the situation. JJ won't allow a new Trek show on until his contract for the alternate universe expires. He doesn't want competition with the Star Wars project he's working on.

He did however say, that Enterprise was before his alternate universe split off from the Prime, and he would not be adverse to a continuation of that series- just nothing new.

You can question the admins about the veracity of their claim on their FB page. Doug Drexler of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fame will most likely vouch for them.
I have just decided that I loathe JJ Abrams and everything to do with him unconditionally. What a prick.
Career Officer
# 33
01-17-2014, 09:40 AM
It makes the most sense to pick up the prime timeline about 15 years after the end of Voyager. That way, if you want to have characters come back, their age will make sense. The story will have been given time to evolve a little bit too.

We don't need gimmicks. We just need a conservative, new Trek.
Captain
# 34
01-17-2014, 11:30 AM
I'd prefer a Trek that didn't have Brannon Braga's grubby little pawprints all over it. He was the one responsible for the Magic Reset Button on VOY (that's what drove Ron Moore away, and led to the almost excessive grimdark of nuBSG - Moore kept track of the shuttles and supplies lost, and came to Berman and Braga with an episode proposal to deal with the question. He reports that their response was, "We don't worry about that"). Braga also has cowriting credit on "These Are the Voyages".

No more Braga, thanks. Let him develop his own series, and see how well that does. Oh, wait, he did that (Threshold, FlashForward, Terra Nova)...
-------------------------------------------
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!" - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Captain
# 35
01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
No more prequels, there is enough room for them to go in any direction with the prime universe without trying to rewrite history any further and futzing it up even more, and no I don't want to see anything continuing off of the Abrams version, the movies were fine for what they were but any series based on them would be confusing and would pretty much bury the original franchise. And whatever comes to Star Trek next I hope they fire the writer that even mentions the words "time travel", it's a plot device that has been worn to tatters in this franchise.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........

Last edited by maxvitor; 01-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Captain
# 36
01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
So we are agreed that the new star trek show should take place after nemesis. Should it be back on the Enterprise E, a new Enterprise or on a new ship, or what if it is on multiple ships like captz1pp and I have thought of for a new series.
Captain
# 37
01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchibiclari View Post
I would like to see more "going where no one has gone before". Let's skip a couple of decades past STO to the mid-25th century, where the Federation has developed Quantum Slipstream Drive to the point that it can be used for intergalactic travel, and focus on a ship (or small task force of ships) that is sent out on the Federation's first foray into another galaxy--the Large Magellanic Cloud. Call the series "Star Trek Magellan", and name the main ship the Magellan as well if you need a catchy sounding name.
It'd be insane to send a single vessel on a really deep space mission, the "small task force" is better. Even more so, Star Fleet should establish a "fort" at the very edge of explored space to act as an information relay, and repair/resupply depot. Actually, this all reminds me of the initial exploration of the American west. Lewis & Clark using forts, later trapper's forts and friendly villages to resupply. Other explorers did, too. In parallel, the galactic explorers would learn that there are a few "mountain men" already out there (Fed species traversing the systems soloing or in tiny groups looking for profitable merchandise), and that these gather every "year" for a trading rendezvous, much like the historic mountain men did.
Captain
# 38
01-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
If what you want is new Trek, there are a couple of crowdfunded shows in production. Star Trek Continues, for instance, is an interesting attempt to carry forward with TOS as if it had never even been interrupted. So far, there's one episode released, "Pilgrim of Eternity", that follows on from "Who Mourns For Adonais?". It also starts with Scotty's experimental holodeck, and introduces us to a really gorgeous redhead who is Starfleet's first shipboard counselor. The second episode will apparently be unveiled at an upcoming con in Phoenix.

It has its flaws, of course - Todd Haberkorn, who plays Spock, does not, IMO, have the gravitas necessary to the role, and the fellow playing McCoy is a bit more "jovial physician" and a bit less "crusty country doctor" - but Vic Mignogna makes for a great Kirk, and Grant Imahara's Sulu isn't bad as long as he's not called on to emote too much. (The scene where he and a redshirt were doing some repair work on the hull and the redshirt's phaser overloaded got a bit narmy when Grant was required to register horror.) On the other hand, the fellow playing McCoy recently announced that he was going to have to pull back from the acting side of things due to personal issues, although he was planning on staying involved in the production end.

There's also "Star Trek: Renegades", Tim Russ' crowdfunded pilot for a new Trek series set after Voyager. Worlds that supply dilithium to the Federation are disappearing, with space/time warped around them to prevent access; Adm. Chekov calls on Tuvok, now head of Section 31, to put together a team of Fleet rejects and borderline criminals - renegades, if you will - to investigate. (Mignogna's involved in this one, too, as a Cardassian prisoner.)

I believe there are a few other such pro/fan efforts, but I'm afraid I don't have time to Google them this morning.
The guy you are talking about who plays sulu, Grant. Isn't he the same guy on mythbusters?
And for a new trek show how about one that revolves around Morn sitting at Quark' s bar all day lol.
Career Officer
# 39
01-18-2014, 09:56 AM
ignore bad robot productions and jj, they are just blowing hot air around and bad robot has no IP rights to trek beyond the film side on the alternate dimension and thats all.

i would also need convincing that cbs and bad robot met about the right of refusal because there is no grounds for it. besides cbs needs to move its own weight around and show its the IP holder of the series for a reason. if cbs can not do such a thing, then they may as well hand the IP rights to bad robot productions as they can't guarntee or safeguard star trek or it's series.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 40
01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandnaguszek1 View Post
The guy you are talking about who plays sulu, Grant. Isn't he the same guy on mythbusters?
Yep, that's Grant Imahara. Its kind of ironic that the guy who gets motion sick easily is driving the starship.