Lt. Commander
Good morning all. Ive been waiting for a game like this for years with star trek. I cant wait to try it otu,e ven though many people say its a huge dissappointment. Just have some questions:

1. How is the movement with your ship? Is it free movement? Like WoW for instance, can I click and hold my mouse down, then steer and turn the ship, accelerate as needed, etc? Or is it Click to move? Or Destination based like EVE?

2. I hear the ground combat / gameplay is silly. Everyone is in a combat stance...anyone shed some light on that?

3. Are there quests to level up, how are instances made and whats the gameplay there(i.e. is it vs the borg or something?), how is loot handled in terms of gearing up?

4. Do you go a long while without seeing another player like eve? Or do you frequently see other players?

5. Are away missions instanced?

6. is it Flagged based PVP combat?

7.Do we see NPC ships such as voyeger, enterprise, etc?

I suppose thats good to start, Imm sure I ll have more. If anyone can answer some of those, itd be helpful. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesmode View Post
Good morning all. Ive been waiting for a game like this for years with star trek. I cant wait to try it otu,e ven though many people say its a huge dissappointment. Just have some questions:

1. How is the movement with your ship? Is it free movement? Like WoW for instance, can I click and hold my mouse down, then steer and turn the ship, accelerate as needed, etc? Or is it Click to move? Or Destination based like EVE?

2. I hear the ground combat / gameplay is silly. Everyone is in a combat stance...anyone shed some light on that?

3. Are there quests to level up, how are instances made and whats the gameplay there(i.e. is it vs the borg or something?), how is loot handled in terms of gearing up?

4. Do you go a long while without seeing another player like eve? Or do you frequently see other players?

I suppose thats good to start, Imm sure I ll have more. If anyone can answer some of those, itd be helpful. Thanks!
1. its WASD movement, or hold both buttons of the mouse down. Very much free movement

2. you can adjust your normal stance -- a default stance is set at character creation. Ground combat is very action filled. You can evade a bit with 'Kirk Rolls' which may be silly, but is definitely in-genre.

3. ther are missions both random and storyline, side stories, an so on, juts liek any MMO. you get skill points to level up from missions and destroying enemy vessels. You ca fight Klingons, Romulans, Borg, Cardassians, Orion Pirates, the Dominion and a host of minor powers. If its an alien race that showed up somewhere, they are there to fight.

4. No. Your fellow players are right there in the starbases and in space. Individual missions are instanced, but you'll still get auto-teamed in open missions.

5. yes

6. Not exactly. there are PvP zones. If you go to a PvP zone, expect PvP. if you aren't in a pvp zone, there is no PvP

7. Yes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Quote:

1. You can turn any direction you want your ship to go in space, but striaght up or down.. if you want to gain altitude you have to spiral up or down.. kinda lame speakin half the missions things spawn above and below you..not bad if they are far out but if they are close more then likely you have to travel away from them and slowly advance upwards as you turn back towards them.

2. ground combat needs work, its there and its a decent foundation.. I suspect it will take a big patch or even a later on expansion before it becomes what it should be. I find the away team to be fun and a change of pace compaired to space combat however as far as leveling and drops go.. ground missions are a waist of time because you hardly get any drops that are good besides a quest reward, and the XP is not even close to that of space combat encounters.

3.There is quests to do to level, most of them seem to repeat themselves even if you do not have them in your log if you go back to the same system a quest was in , it gives it to you anyway to repeat. If you have a friend who hasnt done it and you have.. they can stil share it with you it seems and you can do it again that way too. Loot is like eve, the ships drop a gold icon that allows you to loot such as a can in eve, or what is now a wreckage. You can also set it to need/greed like wow so everyone rolls on loot vs actually looting it in turns.

4.You see peoples ships in the main map and in some open instance quests, other then that if your not playing with a friend your playing alone. Even if there is someone nearby, it still feels like an offline game most of the time.

5. Every corner of space, map, ship, station, quest .. anything.. the entire game is all instance based.

6. I have not experience much pvp in the game, the only thing ive seen is you can que to pvp like a battleground in WoW.

7. In some instances/Quests there will be NPC ships that help you or that you have to interact with thats about it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 07:47 AM
what happens if your ship is destroyed? Whats the penalty?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
what happens if your ship is destroyed? Whats the penalty?
You have to fly back from the respawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Is it hard to manage a battle? For instance, how is targeting done? How would one re-inforce shields, or repair something mid fight, while maneuvering .

How hard is it to multi task during a battle?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Space fighting can be pretty full on against multiple targets, there is a certain amount of auto-target but you can switch with <tab> and clicking with mouse.

Shields can be boosted with special abilities of your charcter and you bridge officers. When fighting you can boost one shield by balancing out you shields - this can be done by clicking the shield you want to boost or by pressing the number associated with it on your key press ranks 1 to 0.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Is this an engulfing game all around? Will I feel like there is a lot to do and explore, both on my own and as a group? Or more just "go out and farm" like EVE
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Is this an engulfing game all around? Will I feel like there is a lot to do and explore, both on my own and as a group? Or more just "go out and farm" like EVE
There's plenty of quests to do and some big fleet battle to take part in (those are where the best drops are by the way).

Just don't go Klingon side. It's either pvp (which gives great exp for them) or grinding one mission into the ground at this point they have next to no content. So if you're not into pvp, stay away from them. They're getting a big overhaul in the next major patch which is coming next month which will give them a lot more content.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
To be honest I have done no farming at all but all MMO's have it to an extent. My advice would be to buy the standard version play for the 30 days free and see if ya like if you don't then your not that far out of pocket. I enjoy it but its not hooked me yet.