Lt. Commander
# 21
02-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatec View Post
Agreed.

And there needs to be risks, there needs to be danger and fear to make the glory better.
i almost thought you were going to add " for the empire" in there...
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLEdelen View Post
This is a bad idea, it already takes forever to get ANYWHERE. To have to run to a starbase everytime you die to replenish your crew would be insane. You'd spend all your time not playing the game, just running back and forth between mission and starbase and back to your mission.
Although it is a good point, I think Kitsunami's solution is sounded.

You could consider the loss of crew as death penalty, knowing that :

- the loss rate is decreased from the existing one
- after combat, a part of the losses (realisticly 1/2 or 2/3) are returned to duty thanks to medical help
- the rest is automatically replenished once in a starbase

+ for every respawn you get a "dead crew" penalty, kind of like the Guild wars penalty (5% dead crew per spawn for exemple).

Yes it would be harder, on would have to be careful not to die, it would be longer since once in a while a trip home would be necessary but :

1 it would be more "realistic", more Star Trek like
2 it would increase the strategic challenge of space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Just because there isn't a death penalty doesn't make it bad.

The death penalty in WoW was just running back to your corpse, drink something, and done, no biggy
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod351 View Post
shhh adults are talking. if you make it to easy were is the challenge? Death is to easy to recover from. 2 mins down time? seriously? So Zerg is the answer??

Thats not fun at all.
The thing is that the 2 minutes (and I doubt it literally took 2 minutes, it was probably more like 30 seconds) it takes for your crew to regenerate cannot even be counted as down time b/c their effect on your ship recovery/repair is minimal anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Death Penalty
02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
This might be speculation but my fleet mates have told me that in Commander Level you actually suffer an Exp loss when you die. I cannot confirm this because I am not commander, but if it's true, there is an added death penalty on top of the crew loss.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLEdelen View Post
This is a bad idea, it already takes forever to get ANYWHERE. To have to run to a starbase everytime you die to replenish your crew would be insane. You'd spend all your time not playing the game, just running back and forth between mission and starbase and back to your mission.
I'd agree with you a lot faster if death in STO were a real possibility.. as it stands now you have to jump into some content WAYYYYYY over your level for it to even be a possibility.

Indeed the only time death is even a remote possibility is if you're in a group of about 3 or 4 people or Fleet Actions because the difficulty in those situations ramps up greatly and if you get isolated from your group or the group is not coordinated you're gonna get hammered.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-02-2010, 07:34 AM
There is no penalty, and there should one. Or, at the very least, an incentive to remain alive (like in CO).
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
2 minutes for the crew to respawn, and in that time your ship wasn't healed up fully.
I didnt wait. At all. I continued the fight and took down another two BOP's.

My ship continued to repair while i did this, and then when they died my crew jumped to full very, very quickly.

The death penalty is fine, but as i have stated, All they need to do is turn on the dead crew.

That is to say:

- When dieng, you lose crew. Respawn with at least 5% crew dead, who can NOT be respawned without returning to a starbase.

- When under attack, alter the rates of death so if you still have shields and your hull is ABOVE 45% you should only be seing wounded crew, who should be able to be healed DURING battle, albeit at about 50% slower rate. (sickbay DOES NOT STOP because of a fight!)

- When hull is below 45% or something like that, you should start seeing hull breach's and the major damage, meaning you should start to see crew dieng. Crew lost in this situation would remain dead, HOWEVER:

They dont carry over if you die. Meaning if you die, you still get only 5% crew loss overall no matter how many you have lost before. This would be fair.

Every death adding another 5% loss, so in those -really- difficult missions you can lose up to 30% of your crew.

Replenish at any starbase automatically, bascially just docking and undocking gives you crew. That'd be DS9, K7, Spacedock, etc.

More dead crew should decrease repairs and efficiency levels of the ship.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-02-2010, 07:52 AM
If they fix the dead crew thing and I actually have to replace the dead ones from time to time, I'll be ok with the current no death penalty.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsunami View Post
There is no death penalty.

Your crew dont die, they are replenished almost immediately.

At one point i had nearly all Grey/dead crew. It took it less than 2 minutes for them to respawn and make many babies and have full crew.

If Cryptic would make it so that dead crew can -not- respawn without visiting a starbase, and increase the amount of wounded, lessening crew that die (excpet when ship blown up) that would be perfect =/
I second this. If your crew is dead then they should stay DEAD.