Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 809
Here is a nice treat for all the Who fans out there. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmXrOPYirI
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,429
# 2
01-20-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the link.

I do confess, though, that I'm much more of a Sherlock (BBC) fan lately than a Doctor Who fan. (Especially Season 3 of the former.) I liked the DW 50th Anniversary episode alot, but the 2013 Christmas episode didn't do much for me. Curious to see what else Capaldi will bring to the role in 2014 (hopefully some occasional humor and a smile once in awhile; not interested in a nothing-but-grumpy-and-frowning Doctor).
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
# 3
01-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipclayberg View Post
Thanks for the link.

I do confess, though, that I'm much more of a Sherlock (BBC) fan lately than a Doctor Who fan. (Especially Season 3 of the former.) I liked the DW 50th Anniversary episode alot, but the 2013 Christmas episode didn't do much for me. Curious to see what else Capaldi will bring to the role in 2014 (hopefully some occasional humor and a smile once in awhile; not interested in a nothing-but-grumpy-and-frowning Doctor).
Yeah, was talking about that with a friend of mine the other day. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it was bad per say. However it felt like they put so much into the 50th Anniversary episode (as they should btw. A 50th anniversary for ANY show, to say nothing of a cultural staple like Dr. Who, is nothing to sneeze at) that they didn't have much juice left for Smith's goodbye.

That said though, they did finally tie up the long running "Time War Aftermath" story arch, got around the Doctor's need for more regenerations, and have a good set up for what will not doubt be the upcoming "Let's go find Gallifrey" story arch. The revived series has yet to hit a sour note in its casting of the Doctor and I'm sure Capaldi will settle in fine once he gets his legs.

As an aside, I'm glad the Time Lords are potentially back in the mix. Would be nice to see a few faces from the past get an update (the Monk, the Rani, hell...the Master? ) and maybe take another swing against Rassalion (Timothy Dalton looked like he was having a blast in the roll). All in all what does the future hold? Who knows.

Oh, and one more thing. If you enjoyed the 50th anniversary (or...even if you didn't) check out The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Trust me, for a Who fan its a wonderful followup to the Special.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,882
# 4
01-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunker7 View Post
As an aside, I'm glad the Time Lords are potentially back in the mix. Would be nice to see a few faces from the past get an update (the Monk, the Rani, hell...the Master? ) and maybe take another swing against Rassalion (Timothy Dalton looked like he was having a blast in the roll). All in all what does the future hold? Who knows.
I'd be interested in getting a few stories with the Corsair. Dead, yeah, I know, but so was River, and thanks to the wonder of time travel, they had lots of time together. Encountering Corsair in his/her past but having to keep a lid on his/her future might be interesting. Particularly considering how full of life Corsair is supposed to be.

There's also Romana, of course, and the mystery of the two women who bracketed Rassalon in contention of his plans. It has been suggested one was the Doctor's mum, but if so, why would Gallifrey need the Doctor's real name from the Doctor?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,488
# 5
01-21-2014, 06:23 AM
My main problem with TotD was why is Smith the last Doctor (13), I understand that adding hurt made 9, 10, and 11 move up a number, but why count 10's botched regeneration. The implication with Capaldi in DotD was that all 13 doctors of the Doctors first life were there, if Capaldi was there why not the next set of 2, 3, 4 etc (obviously because they haven't been cast yet but I mean in universe).

It just seemed that Moffat was trying to artificially produce emotions requiring Smiths departure. 11 (Smith) saw or at least new about 12, 13, 14,1's (Capaldi) involvement in the saving of Gallifrey so he must have known he was going to survive. Shorly they could have held out all the things in TotD for the end of Capaldi's run?

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 23
# 6
01-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
My main problem with TotD was why is Smith the last Doctor (13), I understand that adding hurt made 9, 10, and 11 move up a number, but why count 10's botched regeneration. The implication with Capaldi in DotD was that all 13 doctors of the Doctors first life were there, if Capaldi was there why not the next set of 2, 3, 4 etc (obviously because they haven't been cast yet but I mean in universe).

It just seemed that Moffat was trying to artificially produce emotions requiring Smiths departure. 11 (Smith) saw or at least new about 12, 13, 14,1's (Capaldi) involvement in the saving of Gallifrey so he must have known he was going to survive. Shorly they could have held out all the things in TotD for the end of Capaldi's run?
Thought the same thing myself. Would have given his search for Gallifrey a bit more urgency. Meh, no sense worrying about the barn door now that the horses are loose.

And I had forgotten about Romana. Now there is an exchange I would love to see. XD

Clara: Who's she?

Romana: Who is she?

The Doctor: This...is going to take some explaining. >.>;

The TARDIS: We're waiting. -.-

The Doctor: ...bollocks.

Last edited by steampunker7; 01-21-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 698
# 7
01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
My main problem with TotD was why is Smith the last Doctor (13), I understand that adding hurt made 9, 10, and 11 move up a number, but why count 10's botched regeneration.
I dunno what you mean by botched, it wasn't. That was a regeneration that went all the way, it's just that Tennant's Doctor didn't want to change so he used regeneration energy to heal himself and stored the rest in his severed hand
__________________________________________________ __
For those of you who have complimented me on my Avatar, I'm wondering what you're talking about. I don't have one.

SILENCE WILL FALL....................Why the hell did I just say that
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,882
# 8
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure they had the full the concept worked out until recently. Back with The Impossible Astronaut, we're shown Doc demonstrating the start of a regeneration. yes, I know what was really happening, but why even show the start of a regeneration? I suspect at the time, the show hadn't nailed down a decision on whether to count the human-Time Lord metacrysis or even creating a War Doctor.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,488
# 9
01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthyme467989 View Post
I dunno what you mean by botched, it wasn't. That was a regeneration that went all the way, it's just that Tennant's Doctor didn't want to change so he used regeneration energy to heal himself and stored the rest in his severed hand
Up 'till TotD it was implied that the regeneration was stopped by syphoning off the excess energy. I really don't like the apparent ability to regenerate without changing appearance, that's the whole point of regeneration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwright View Post
I'm not sure they had the full the concept worked out until recently. Back with The Impossible Astronaut, we're shown Doc demonstrating the start of a regeneration.
Also evidence, as the Church splinter group behind the River Song programme left during the Siege of Trenzalor so must have known it was the final Doctor.

If Moffat was leaving here I could really see this 'ass pull' as a last stand for him as show runner, but as he is still staying on it's pointless.

I love the inclusion of the War Doctor and the lives being moved up by one (even if the numbers aren't) but the silly inclusion of 10's partial regeneration is pathetic.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 470
# 10
01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunker7
Oh, and one more thing. If you enjoyed the 50th anniversary (or...even if you didn't) check out The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Trust me, for a Who fan its a wonderful followup to the Special.
That John Barrowman guy... Does he really have kids? So, adoption or is his current list of social preferences a new thing to come along since the last one? Or does the door swing both ways?

Very entertaining! Thanks for the share!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwelaughingtrendy
Virtually our virtuous captains are victorious over vicious Undine vessels from viscous space.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 PM.