Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
When thing that amuses me about the Klingons claims that being able to pop in and out of cloak at will is not unbalancing is that in every version of Star Trek that I have ever known, I.E. movies, series, RPG, Klingons have one slight problem with cloak that puts them at a disadvantage when using it. It sucks insane power. Namely it drains every other system.

Something to think about the next time the Klingons claim that it isn't unfair that they can all sit in cloak coordinate a target then destroy it right out of cloak.

Cloak should have the same effect as going to full impulse. Which would also eliminate the, 'Oh darn, I'm about to die I better cloak', crowd. You know who you are. You play Klingon. Gankers one and all.

Oh and you can skip the childish name calling. I don't plan to come back to read this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I won't call you names...I will just laugh at you...RAGE ON!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Youre right it should.
Also theres another bug with cloak.
When a Klingon cloaks but isnt fully cloaked yet, you cant fire at him.
Which really sucks, because your supposed to be able to hit them just as they cloak and hit them unshielded.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
I don't know what movies the OP has been watching, but Klingons regularly uncloak and start shooting. There was even a movie where they didn't uncloak and started shooting.

The game already accurately represents the lore to the best that I can recall: while cloak is on, shields are down, because they are tied into the same system.

Besides, if we were really going to make the game like the shows, then every time any ship gets hit with any sort of weapon, a console on your bridge would explode and some nameless bridge officer would go flying.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
A fair concession as long as Fed ships travel with their shields down like they do in the films, series, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigonos View Post
A fair concession as long as Fed ships travel with their shields down like they do in the films, series, etc.
And occasionally a friendly Federation ship will actually be piloted by Khan, who will open fire on them without warning.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
The cloaking device should pull power from shields and that power should return in the same manner it would if you just dropped out of full impulse. It should not affect weapons, engines, or AUX as the power drain is specifically related to shields and cloak.

As for firing when cloaked plenty of Star Trek lore has this in existence but that would be out of control in a MMO.

I play Klingon and while I think cloak is a prefectly valid technology in it's current form a slight alteration in how shield power is handled would make logical sense.

You drain all power from shields to cloak and when you drop the cloak the power returns to shields at some rate (affected by skills that already exist in the game) to whatever you have set for your current power levels.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
The old addage know thine enemy
so I roll a Klink and get to tier 2
Try out battlecloak
Yowsa
Die to torps up the tailpipe that dont lose tracking
Its not the get out of jail free card some think it is
very situational and very risky
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes, if you think a Klingon is going to battlecloak, just keep firing torps at him. As soon as he cloaks, shields go down and any weapons fire already inbound will continue hitting him unless he gets 10k away from the person who fired it. Since the hull on a BoP is so weak, battle cloaking when there's a couple quantum torpedoes inbound will usually kill you.

Battle cloak is mostly effective when combined with Evasive Maneuvers so you can rush out of range and then cloak (whereas a Raptor would rush out of range and not be able to cloak, giving the Feds a chance to power up engines and give chase).
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nybris
When thing that amuses me about the Klingons claims that being able to pop in and out of cloak at will is not unbalancing is that in every version of Star Trek that I have ever known, I.E. movies, series, RPG, Klingons have one slight problem with cloak that puts them at a disadvantage when using it. It sucks insane power. Namely it drains every other system.

Something to think about the next time the Klingons claim that it isn't unfair that they can all sit in cloak coordinate a target then destroy it right out of cloak.

Cloak should have the same effect as going to full impulse. Which would also eliminate the, 'Oh darn, I'm about to die I better cloak', crowd. You know who you are. You play Klingon. Gankers one and all.

Oh and you can skip the childish name calling. I don't plan to come back to read this.
Coming out of cloak only to have every Fed ship opening up on you instantly due to auto-target is equally annoying. Dev's, please bear this in mind.