Captain
# 61
01-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenat View Post
- Sometimes the game puts "abandon ship" on my toolbar, i hit it by mistake because of its location on the bar, and die.
You have to map the toolbar to a layout you choose. I don't recall if the default key shortcut is ctrl+p or if that's what I mapped mine to, but you can click the little button on the upper right corner of your power tray and assign skills to wherever you like (or drag them off the toolbar into space and let go to clear that skill out).

You need to do this in space -- anywhere, like around Sol or even in sector space -- and then when you go into combat it will already be set.
Career Officer
# 62
01-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
You have to map the toolbar to a layout you choose. I don't recall if the default key shortcut is ctrl+p or if that's what I mapped mine to, but you can click the little button on the upper right corner of your power tray and assign skills to wherever you like (or drag them off the toolbar into space and let go to clear that skill out).

You need to do this in space -- anywhere, like around Sol or even in sector space -- and then when you go into combat it will already be set.
Actually whenever I get a new ability or slot a new weapon it fills any empty slots I have with random abilities. So every time I change anything I have to reconfigure my toolbar. Or I get ramming speed/abandon ship somewhere too.
Captain
# 63
01-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, that happens also. It sounded like he never set his toolbar, though. It would be really rough to play this game with default random spam on the toolbars!

In fact I just found a workaround to a long-standing ground toolbar bug last night. It makes a big difference.
Commander
# 64
01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
What this game needs isn't difficulty, per se, it's unpredictability. So here's what I would propose.

See, I actually kind of like the way STFs are done right now, but not as STFs. They're somewhat fun, as grinding missions. You know what you're doing, and compete for the best times. So:

Remove PvE queues. Instead, we have functional shipboard holodecks.

There, you can take part in things like the current STFs and other missions: quick, straightforward, (nearly) assured reward. If you want to just profit as quickly as possible, that's where you go.

But the actual gameplay is elsewhere. Sector space is now a hostile, dangerous area teeming with anomalies and hostiles that will chase you down and force you to deal with them. There's no guarantee that you'll make it to your destination, and you never know what you'll find even if you do. And when new STFs are first introduced, they're only available out in sector space at their actual location. And they're incredibly difficult, though mainly because the community is still figuring out how to deal with them. This continues until a team -- or maybe a set number of teams, like five or ten -- succeed in beating the mission. Then, it's available in the holodeck queues. Now, they should probably still be available in their original form out in sector space even after this, but have some sort of distinction -- like just a prefix before the mission -- that tells you that this isn't a "current" event. In terms of the in-universe timeline, it already happened, as opposed to whatever missions are still current, still going on. It's a way to make the story actually move along in a meaningful way.

Also, we might want to think about having ships actually be destructible. Like, completely destroyed, you can't use them again ever. This would obviously require an easier method of getting some ships, like the lockbox ships -- I'd recommend a character unlock similar to account unlocks for C-store ships, so if your ship blows up, you can get another, but you still have to put together your build (you'd still have your equipment, or maybe not, but you'd have to set it up), and rename and customize your ship like it was.

Just to clarify, this wouldn't happen every time you died. Death would be replaced with receiving an injury and being tractored to safety until you regenerate or something. Respawning with no good explanation is a bit silly. You'd only actually die if you received a certain number of critical injuries and then died again, so it would be relatively easy to avoid most of the time. It would just be a little shock for players who were careless.
For best results, read my posts in a voice similar to that of Hermaeus Mora, Daedric Prince of Knowledge and Fate.

Proud advocate of the Tholian Assembly.
Ensign
# 65
01-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenat View Post
- someone dies near me, kills me too
- the lance bug on Uni-matrix 1 (or what ever that mission is called)
- I fail to kill a torpedo from a borg cube, and instantly die from it. This is because i use a cannon build combined with "tab" to target nearest enemy. I think what happens is i click by mistake somewhere on screen without knowing it, and un-target the torpedo. This is user error, and I fully own that.
- the other occasional deaths I suffer I cannot fully explain, nor can I review the combat log because it goes by with everything for myself and everyone else. Crazy amount of data.
- Sometimes the game puts "abandon ship" on my toolbar, i hit it by mistake because of its location on the bar, and die.

Basically, you want to sorta-have perma-death. Hey okay i get that. But what would happen is, you will go into a PVE queue, take 25% casualties right off the bat, then fail to complete the mission. This is because of player skill, poor builds, lag and other factors...
Basically, you cant fix one without the others.
You will be more frustrated then you are now, I believe.

Of course you have to sort out the details.

Insta-Kill (from 100 to 0 in one hit) by any enemy weapons can not happen, you have to have a change to avoid death.

User errors (hit wrong button, too close to explosion) or things like lag are just bad luck, it happens.

Perma-death does not mean the group has to be punished for it, just the one player.

Simple idea: When a player dies, he is out. No reward. Another player is allowed to join. You could even actively invite players like the borg red alerts, first one to hit the button warps in and enjoys full rewards.

Another idea: As I already mentioned you could rate the ships by battle value. If a player dies, he can use another ship with lesser battle value.

See my posting regarding this idea: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=49
Empire Veteran
# 66
01-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyymbeere View Post
Simple idea: When a player dies, he is out. No reward. Another player is allowed to join.
Seems like a harsh punishment, not only for the player that died but for the rest of the team as well. What if I'm playing a match and suddenly lose 2 ships to Borg insta-kills? If another 2 players aren't immediately available, my team is now in deep @#$$@. In something like Vortex that may mean game over for everyone.
Career Officer
# 67
01-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Of course you have to sort out the details.

Insta-Kill (from 100 to 0 in one hit) by any enemy weapons can not happen, you have to have a change to avoid death.

User errors (hit wrong button, too close to explosion) or things like lag are just bad luck, it happens.

Perma-death does not mean the group has to be punished for it, just the one player.

Simple idea: When a player dies, he is out. No reward. Another player is allowed to join. You could even actively invite players like the borg red alerts, first one to hit the button warps in and enjoys full rewards.

Another idea: As I already mentioned you could rate the ships by battle value. If a player dies, he can use another ship with lesser battle value.

See my posting regarding this idea: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1&postcount=49
Sorry everytime I hear perma-death I think. Okay they blewup my ship and I am back at the load screen. Make a new character we just deleted that one.
Ensign
# 68
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant37 View Post
Seems like a harsh punishment, not only for the player that died but for the rest of the team as well. What if I'm playing a match and suddenly lose 2 ships to Borg insta-kills? If another 2 players aren't immediately available, my team is now in deep @#$$@. In something like Vortex that may mean game over for everyone.

What is your definition of "insta-kill"?

My definition: A one-shot-kill - from full health and full shields to zero with no option to avoid it.

This happens very, very rarely.

To my knowledge Borg insta-kills are:
The lance thingy in "Hive Onslaught"

Thats it! Just remove or nerf that - done!

Perhaps you can add the Scimitar in Khitomer Vortex but even this can be dodged.

Everything other than that can be avoided by beeing an, well, "elite" captain who knows what he is doing.

If you are not, then you should not do "elite" stuff, there are other options.

I am sure that there would be enough players willing to join a mission at all times and receiving full rewards for it, without even having to do the whole mission.
Empire Veteran
# 69
01-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Quote:
What is your definition of "insta-kill"?

My definition: A one-shot-kill - from full health and full shields to zero with no option to avoid it.

This happens very, very rarely.

To my knowledge Borg insta-kills are:
The lance thingy in "Hive Onslaught"

Thats it! Just remove or nerf that - done!

Perhaps you can add the Scimitar in Khitomer Vortex but even this can be dodged.

Everything other than that can be avoided by beeing an, well, "elite" captain who knows what he is doing.

If you are not, then you should not do "elite" stuff, there are other options.

I am sure that there would be enough players willing to join a mission at all times and receiving full rewards for it, without even having to do the whole mission.
The lance in Hive Slaughter and Donatra's Thalaron cannon are not the only Borg insta-kills. You've never been on the receiving end of a Borg invisitorp, or even your bog-standard Borg plasma HYT?

Regardless, you're never going to get all elite captains in elite. Not unless you never ever do PUGs. There's always going to be people who do stupid things like get caught next to an exploding cube and get wiped out with it. And no, there's no guarantee that another player will be standing by ready to step in. I shouldn't be penalized for other people's dumbness.
Ensign
# 70
01-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Quote:
The lance in Hive Slaughter and Donatra's Thalaron cannon are not the only Borg insta-kills. You've never been on the receiving end of a Borg invisitorp, or even your bog-standard Borg plasma HYT?
Please carefully read the definition of "insta-kill" again!

A "Borg plasma HYT" can easily be avoided. A "Borg invisitorp" is a bug, which in my experience is mostly gone anyway and serves as an excuse now if you happen to get destroyed. And even if it does happen, it does not kill you instantly either. Keep your shields up or get out of range if your shields are gone. Its very easy to not die.

Of course, as I already said "you have to sort out the details." Which means I do not deny that it is necessary to do some changes to avoid unavoidable deaths.

The overall idea is not to punish players who are commanding their ship responsibly. However I have seen many players who are dishing out loads of dps and should be competent but they build and fly their ships like kamikaze pilots and just dont care if they get destroyed because it simply is no big deal.

Quote:
Regardless, you're never going to get all elite captains in elite. Not unless you never ever do PUGs. There's always going to be people who do stupid things like get caught next to an exploding cube and get wiped out with it. And no, there's no guarantee that another player will be standing by ready to step in. I shouldn't be penalized for other people's dumbness
There are elite-STF channels.

There are lots of players online, if a red alert pops up in their face there will be more than enough willing to join.

You are in a team. If you place your fate in the hands of random ppl you do not know and who potentially are "dumb", thats your choice and your risk.

With basic teamwork and communication the elite stfs can be done even by mediocre players.

The main question is: Do you want these missions to be a challenge or do you do them because they are a necessary evil to farm recourses and you just want to get it over with.