Ensign
# 21
01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by designationxr377 View Post
"i didnt want to read ur stupid fanfic"

This right here is the reason for a lot of 1 stared reviews. Not that the story is bad or the concept is wrong. The problem is... You won't shut up long enough for the mission to be enjoyable; you banter on and on to the point of sucking all the fun out of a promising mission. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and get yourself an editor, they will trim the story down and get rid of the redundancy and get the story moving better then the author could.

A prime example is one of the current top 50. I read most of the stories, but this thing had progressed to the point where I was just clicking through the dialog to be done with it. The problem being that the author crammed 20 missions worth of dialog into a single mission . I spent more time with dialog boxes then I did actually playing the mission. Pacing pacing pacing people, you need to focus on that above all else or your story will be lost in the mix. If you want to write a book, write a book ; if you want to write a mission, stop trying to write a book.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
01-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Just a suggestion, but maybe you should let people make the missions they want to make, and take it upon yourself to try and filter out the missions you don't want to play. I suggest using the average playtime filter and searching only for missions that last 15-minutes to a half hour or something similar.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Ensign
# 23
01-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Just a suggestion, but maybe you should let people make the missions they want to make, and take it upon yourself to try and filter out the missions you don't want to play. I suggest using the average playtime filter and searching only for missions that last 15-minutes to a half hour or something similar.
Then stop whining about being 1 stared. Produce the content the users want and you'll get better ratings.

P.S. Get someone to edit your stories. You and the players will be much happier you did.
Rihannsu
# 24
01-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biytor View Post
Then stop whining about being 1 stared. Produce the content the users want and you'll get better ratings.

P.S. Get someone to edit your stories. You and the players will be much happier you did.
Right... and you're qualified for such a task?

*chuckles sinisterly*
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 25
01-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Man, here we go again.

I didn't even realize with the new rating system we would still have the 1-star bandits, but even as bad as they were before, the good missions usually always found their way back in the top rated list until Cryptic pulled the lamest move in the Foundry. The Top 50 only list and the new rating system (as far as average).

Now I would assume the 1-stars hurt even more with the ridiculous "new" rating system we have, leading to newer missions being left behind in oblivion even worse than before.
Whereas before, a few 5 stars could overcome most 1-star trolls, now they cannot.

Another wonderful twist to the stupid rating system we have, as well as the list being shortened to the top 50 without dealing with the grinderfest garbage that flourished
before. If they want them to continue to exist, fine, but get them out of the main mission
flows and put them in their own category. 95% on any new authors are basically screwed
and most players do not know how to search for other missions.
ABI-Artificial Borg Intelligence by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Also play Spawn of Medusa - The 5 Part series
by Duke-of-Rock Available on Holodeck
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
01-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Quote:
This right here is the reason for a lot of 1 stared reviews. Not that the story is bad or the concept is wrong. The problem is... You won't shut up long enough for the mission to be enjoyable; you banter on and on to the point of sucking all the fun out of a promising mission. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and get yourself an editor, they will trim the story down and get rid of the redundancy and get the story moving better then the author could.

A prime example is one of the current top 50. I read most of the stories, but this thing had progressed to the point where I was just clicking through the dialog to be done with it. The problem being that the author crammed 20 missions worth of dialog into a single mission . I spent more time with dialog boxes then I did actually playing the mission. Pacing pacing pacing people, you need to focus on that above all else or your story will be lost in the mix. If you want to write a book, write a book ; if you want to write a mission, stop trying to write a book.
There are a variety of different types of Foundry missions out there. All appeal to different players. Authors have the responsibility of creating a good foundry mission according to their own goals. It is the players responsibility to find a mission whose goals match the player's preference.

The problem is that 1. people don't know about the search options that are there, 2. Assume that every mission that is listed as "good" i.e. top fifty or within the spotlight fit within their own personal preferences or 3. assume that every author should cater to their own personal preferences no matter what others think.

What is being asked for is the option for players to scroll down a list so they have more options if they want to.
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
01-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Quote:

I'm afraid you've completely missed the point. The issue at hand is not players who don't like missions. Speaking for myself, I can handle if a player doesn't like my mission. No big deal. The issue is players who are not playing the mission at all, but giving it an anonymous one-star to intentionally sabotage it. There's just no excuse for that.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Commander
# 28
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazag View Post
What is being asked for is the option for players to scroll down a list so they have more options if they want to.
This right here. Perhaps via a paging option, since a single ongoing list would be huge.
Empire Veteran
# 29
01-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Once again, I have been struck by the one-star bandits. This time on a new mission that never had anything below a 4 or 5. There needs to be a change.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Empire Veteran
# 30
01-21-2014, 05:13 AM
One of the biggest flaws of this system is the ability for people to instantly pick up a mission and then just drop it and still rate it. At least make it so people have to play if they want to give it a rating.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891