Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Starfleet Veteran
A fellow fleet member from the Sol Trade Consortium recently talked me into attempting a two man run through KAGE. I thought he was off his rocker(Sorry Mate), but we gave it a try. The first attempt we ran on normal difficulty to get a feel for tactics necessary when running with reduced man/fire power. Shortly there after we attempted the elite version after a few training runs we cracked it not once but twice and manged to get the optional objective on both occasions. We're confident we can repeat it.

So where do we go after this? well the answer was simple. Since KAGE is considered by many in the STC and no doubt STO as a whole to be the easiest of STF's we set our sights on what many would consider to be the hardest of the original STF's, Infected Ground Elite. This time we three manned it due to the fact that three players are required to activate the pillars through out the mission. Again we started off on normal difficulty to get a feel for the tactics, but taking into account our previous 2 man KAGE run, coupled with alterations to our doff layouts and skill trees we again managed to successfully complete the mission on its elite setting and once more securing the optional objective.

I know many players have had issues with noobs and their lack of experience in running STF's but I for one developed a very strong dislike for the ground portions of them. But after attempting and succeeding in this pet project I'm developing a new fondness for them. So I ask again what now?
We're already planning a similar run through CGE. But I know quite a few players are complaining about the lack of end game content. I even walked away from the game for around six months due to it.

For those reading this and thinking to themselves "This guys having a laugh" I invite you to check out our latest video of us running IGE complete with optional objective. The video can be found at the following link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrS5r7RKDkU

On a personal note the STC is always looking to recruit new members of all ages and abilities, So if you fancy being trained and/or taking part in things like this PM or email me in game @sqwishedgrape we have both fed and KDF fleets.
Captain
# 2
01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
You did ige with optional with only 3 people. That is pretty damn impressive.

Mind if I ask what was your build/doffs/equipment?

Well done indeed
EptE3+evasive maneuvers+130/100 engine power+Attack patternmega+deuterium surplus+ aux2inertial dampeners+ the biggest ship you can find = damn right
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-20-2014, 03:00 PM
I'll forgive you for that one mate, I can be pretty crazy at times

I like doing these missions, we need to do them more often and the community needs to accept stuff is too easy. But then I realise the level of genuine teamwork in a lot of runs, pugs or not, is lacking at best.

In a lot of ways builds and such are irrelevant, teamwork is the most effective thing on the planet, and is highly underrated. Not wanting to sound like some sort of wise person, too young for that, but this was a result of people whining about how stuff is to hard. As anyone can see it is anything but.

I am all for people asking us how we do it, but there is only so much I can explain writing it down, so as my friend said, feel free to post here if you are interested
I've two manned KAGE and three manned IGE. I've broken Impulse 1000 just for fun, and built all kinds of effective ships. I know what I'm doing -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by orici1701 View Post
I dont recall them saying "to boldly kill what no one has killed before"
Captain
# 4
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
To have 2 less people for a timed event that is usually finished by the skin of your teeth with a decent pug...gear must play a pretty big role here.

I'm really curious what weapons you had that could make up for the lack of 2 people's dps
EptE3+evasive maneuvers+130/100 engine power+Attack patternmega+deuterium surplus+ aux2inertial dampeners+ the biggest ship you can find = damn right
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahminus View Post
To have 2 less people for a timed event that is usually finished by the skin of your teeth with a decent pug...gear must play a pretty big role here.

I'm really curious what weapons you had that could make up for the lack of 2 people's dps
I just had the usual Honour Guard stuff, no real doffs as the only ones I had were the psionic power cooldown and mortars doff which half the time doesn't work anyway. Adapted Sniper rifle and a Spire kit, but really the mortars suck. (Warning: Rant Starts) Watching the video the number of times they didn't proc, missed or hit at a rather inconsequential time is just pathetic.

Even my tribble is a green, and I have the trait that makes orbital strike actually do something useful. I don't use the standard hypo's or shield charges as I can't be bothered with them either. I use the quantum shadows and the cane every once in a while as you can see in the video.

That isn't anything but the truth, and DPS is a joke anyway if you can't work as a team properly or stay alive. From my experience most people just spam their powers without really knowing what they do, which does not impress me.

Not to sound like I'm being rude, but get off your high horse about gear and DPS, they're both overrated and are more of a luxury than a necessity.

After all, I could have got a purple tribble, filled out my doffs and got dual consumables off the exchange. Maybe I could have optimised my ground build a bit more because it is not exactly perfect. I even had large energy cells in my inventory I could have used more often and powers I never used through the entire mission.

I also know one of my mates in there had less of an optimised load out than me, another was geared better but we're still talking 2/3 not optimal at all.

As I said, teamwork above all else, because really 5 man pug teams who can work as a team should be tearing through the grounds no problem, it's just a result of everyone thinking they can't be bothered to do that in a good enough manner. But what's really sad is they then have a go at everyone for not doing it right when they themselves are at fault, and then everyone gets discouraged from doing the grounds which is what has happened.

The queues for grounds are mostly dead except for KAGE which is considered the easiest. All because people like to fly around in their silly little ships in space because they're perceived to be easier. If people just put the effort into learning ground and playing it like they do space it would be fine, but they don't so there you go.

I'll stop ranting now, otherwise I may as well write an essay... -.-
I've two manned KAGE and three manned IGE. I've broken Impulse 1000 just for fun, and built all kinds of effective ships. I know what I'm doing -.-

Quote:
Captain
# 6
01-21-2014, 04:59 AM
people do space because the rewards are higher than ground. I do ground because it's requiring of team work and can't be done just by doing pew pew pew
There are actually other players in this game? I thought they were just npcs with varying levels of AI. - starkaos
Republic Veteran
# 7
01-21-2014, 05:13 AM
Infected (the old version with both space and ground) had already been beaten by 2 players in April 2011: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=3489266

I don't believe in a No-Win Scenario ... beat it with 21 chars
Best STFs: ISE 13:51 | CSE 13:52 | NWS 6:46 | Solo-ISE: 7:22
Visit the German STO forum: www.sto-center.de/forum
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxhellspawnyxxx View Post
Infected (the old version with both space and ground) had already been beaten by 2 players in April 2011: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=3489266
From a different time entirely, you need 3 to do it nowadays mate, operational requirements

Not that I'm downing them, good on them. To be fair I would be surprised if we had been the first to do them, I know someone has 1 manned ISE anyway so it's clear people have done this.

But your point that that somehow makes it void is wrong anyway. Rewards being higher or not, it's a shame people don't do ground more, as I'm sure I said in a previous post, in my view this is the result of discouraging people from running content.

Also, didn't the Borg not adapt at one time? Wish they would adapt in space as well if I'm honest...

Quote:
Commander
# 9
01-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Actually, it can be done by 2. Not sure about the optional, but if you chain the consoles right, you can do it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carasucia83 View Post
Actually, it can be done by 2. Not sure about the optional, but if you chain the consoles right, you can do it.
Really? I'd be interested to know how, never heard that mentioned before. If it's true I'd like to give it another go with just two assuming what you say is true and not some junk people are making up. Always willing to learn

EDIT: I assume the activations have to overlap each other with no gaps?

Quote: