Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Are people really complaining about a lack of content? Seems like there is plenty to do to me.

If you're going to sit there 20 hours a day playing, then you might find you're out of stuff to do after a few days.

Not really the game's fault, it's your fault for not taking it easy. Every game ever made only has a limited amount of content.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
Every game ever made only has a limited amount of content.
Truer words have never been spoken my friend. People need to just enjoy what we have, there's too much whining about what we *should've* had...sheesh.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castout85 View Post
we're getting free new content in the first 45 days, so i don't know why you're complaining
Free new content that probably should have been in at launch
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemesis
Truer words have never been spoken my friend. People need to just enjoy what we have, there's too much whining about what we *should've* had...sheesh.
Just people with way too much time on their hands I assume. Some people are already at Rear Admiral rank apparently!
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urko View Post
Free new content that probably should have been in at launch
Yet another classic MMO quote.

Hey, where's the PvP air to air combat in WoW that I paid for when I bought Lich King? It's on the box!
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
The talk about a large patch come release day is for people who install from the cd/dvd as the time between when they were made till now has seen a few patches
If your using the client from the betas and have kept up to date on the patches no you wont see a large patch
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
Genesis is already there, with the unexplored sector missions, though it's fairly basic at the moment.

They've also said they are working on expanding it for future releases.
Assuming that's what's creating my missions for the exploration stuff, I've got to say that the system has gone from borked and almost pointless in beta, to very, very fun in late beta/headstart/retail.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEII
it is now 1 hour to official release, and i've just had a 150mb patch.

anyone else feel its a bit small to have contained all the missing features in the game.

for example, the much talked about genesis system?
There is no spoon...
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
Assuming that's what's creating my missions for the exploration stuff, I've got to say that the system has gone from borked and almost pointless in beta, to very, very fun in late beta/headstart/retail.
Yeah, the missions are a bit samey, but they've definitely got better since beta and they're going to continue working on it and hopefully it will eventually allow proper deep space exploration. It's a nice little addition I think.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Just remember this, guys: Code itself isn't very large. The big patches come when they add new textures and sounds and music and stuff like that. There could be a huge list of bug fixes in a 150MB patch. That's no laughing matter, getting 150MB of fixes and optimizations. (Ask yourself how big offline game patches usually are? Dragon Age 1.02a is only around 37MB, for example, and it fixes a LOT of things.) Even then, things like Genesis would be strictly server-side, which would be something applied during those "evil downtimes" and never actually patched to the client where you'd have to download anything.

I imagine most of the assets of the game (UI graphics, textures, object meshes, etc) are pretty set for now. They aren't usually changed until absolutely brand new things are added. (And even then, Genesis would simply use existing assets arranged in different ways.) So just remember: Just because the patch isn't the size of the game doesn't mean the small patch is a small fix. I've seen several 100ish MB patches this week, myself, which shows they're working on things. (But anything we download is only for the client, not the server. Server fixes are applied when they go down, just remember that.)

I do wish they'd keep up on their patch notes, though.