Lt. Commander
All Cryptic has to do it take the in-game currency out of the game. Allow me to turn in my loot items for Star Fleet credits, that can then be turned in for new equipment or modifications for my current equipment.

Equipment can be traded, but not the credits. Credits can only be used to buy equipment from NPC vendors. This in effect creates a second step for gold farmers, both in generating credits and then again to 'transfer" them to another player.

STO does not need an auction house (exchange). Just let us earn credits and let us exchange them for items we want from vendors.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
this is fail, I just brought a tribble for 10k energy credits, how else would I have paid for it? favors, good intentions?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:12 AM
All you would do is change them from "gold" farmers to "item" traders.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I think this debate mirrors the software piracy one, at least when it comes to DRM and copy protection. Clearly you cant STOP pirates from pirating games, you can only reduce casual piracy. The level of DRM and protection you use should be good enough to reduce casual folks without putting off players due to incompatibilities and inconveniences.

In the same way you cannot stop people who wish to make money from a game. As long as real people are playing and things are persistent in some form, there is cash value. People will find some way. All you can do is take steps to reduce casual trading for cash from being too rampant. Someone who is a real player will think twice about advertising selling gold for fear of losing his/her account. Farmers have no such fear. They cannot truly be stopped.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 10:31 AM
game companies dont want to stop the farmers.... why cant people get that trough their heads. Farmers buy a lot of subs. They are a revenue stream.

i always suspect that the people who are most vocal about farmers are the same ones who put crap on the markets at insanly high prices so they can take baths in their virtual gold and feel self acctualized by the size of their virtual bank accounts. Gold farmers have no effect on my game play aside from deleting a few emails.

(and personally I think some of them,,,NCSOFT... are actually in cahoots with them)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon347 View Post
this is fail, I just brought a tribble for 10k energy credits, how else would I have paid for it? favors, good intentions?
Don't buy tribbles at all, they are a loot drop. Once you get one, you can breed them. From what I hear, based on the type of food in your inventory, you will breed different types of tribbles. This will encourage you to experiment. Might actually be fun as well.

As for the comment that, "people that complain about gold farmers are probably the same that sell stuff for ridiculous prices" not true in my case.

I never sell anything on the Exchange. I offer it to my fleet mates first, and if they don't want it, I save it for my next toon or I sell it to the "scapper" for 50% its value. Its all found money anyway, and since I don't buy off the exchange I don't need much money.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
game companies dont want to stop the farmers.... why cant people get that trough their heads. Farmers buy a lot of subs. They are a revenue stream.
If that were only true. Unfortunately it's not. They use stolen accounts of other players. They use stolen credit cards to "pay" for the accounts. They use trial accounts. But you are correct about the gold sellers/farmers, they _are_ a revenue stream... a negative one.

As for credits in the game, they're pretty easy to get. That is one way to combat the gold sellers/farmers, make their product not that difficult (or even fun) to acquire, and suddenly the notion of real world currency for a relatively minor thing is not so appealing.

The credits are fairly easy to come by, as long as you play the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 09:05 AM
For a "currency free" Federation, it does seem silly to have energy credit that can be directly traded. As far as "gold farmers" go, they would just change to selling items for RL cash. It could, at least, make it more a pain for them to price the items since credits would be less fluid; but, like some single minded, defective, borg, CGF's will adapt.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanid
I think this debate mirrors the software piracy one, at least when it comes to DRM and copy protection. Clearly you cant STOP pirates from pirating games, you can only reduce casual piracy. The level of DRM and protection you use should be good enough to reduce casual folks without putting off players due to incompatibilities and inconveniences.
:ROFL: that was funny my good man. You working wth a company who creates 'DRM' malware ?
Hint: Spore used DRM to such an annoying extend that it became the most downloaded game ever and received 1-star ratings en masse because it buggered honest customers so much it wasn't worth it.
Hint: In the official 'Assassins Creed' FAQ there is this question (paraphrasing)
"Ever since I installed AC, my Nero doesn't work anymore ". Answer (seriously, their 'proposal' to 'fix' what their DRM damaged: Uninstall Nero and stop using it.

The music industry has cut back a lot on DRM because THEY realized they'd just **** people off by sabotaging people's hardware.
The gaming industry is still somewhat behind but some have learned - Ubisoft for example.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon347 View Post
I got mine off a dead Klingon.