Lt. Commander
# 1 STO skill tree totally borked
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Sorry for the title, but its how I feel about it. I mean, CO has showed me that making easy to understand and transparent skills is not Cryptic's strength. Simple example. When I level in EQ2 and I learn Fireball II, I can see it does 120-150 DMG and my old Fireball I did 80-100 DMG and I can simply and clearly see my progress.

In STO I can invest into skill trees and I have ZIP idea what it does. Yeah, there is some vague description, but it is so un-sensual to have some +8 +16 asf, and that total bollocks. I want to know exact numbers, I want to see, oh cool look it does more dmg now!

Same with character and ship classes. I mean, what IS the actual difference between Tactics and Engeneer? I just don't see it. RPGers are used to numbers and stats and not these vague texts which say close to nothing. I find this idea to mask the mechanics a boring concept that really takes away my sense of progress.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
There is a DEV post somewhere on this. T1 skills are generalized and has you go up in rank the skills get more specialized, that is why the lower level skills really have a generic definition because they are generic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorbrand View Post
There is a DEV post somewhere on this. T1 skills are generalized and has you go up in rank the skills get more specialized, that is why the lower level skills really have a generic definition because they are generic.
Generic doesn't have to mean non-descriptive. Does the "tactical team" skill affect your BO's space abilities? I have no idea, because nothing in the game tells me. All I'm told is that it gives +9 to tactical abilities...whatever +9 means or whatever tactical abilities are affected.

The skill descriptions need a revamp. They were fine for beta, but for a released game they don't give anywhere near enough information. We shouldn't have to read a post on the board to learn what the skills do, that should be in the skill description itself.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
When you see a skill or a modifier that says "+5, +9, +103232323" etc, this generally means a percentage.

However for some skills like high yield torpedo, it decreases the cooldown of that skill. But over all, +5, +10 will mean +5% or +10%.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
try increasing a torp skill then click accept look at your torp damage go up shazam it works.... not too hard really.