Lt. Commander
So I enetered my key and got ready to make my joined trill character and looking at the Joined Symbiote trait, it doesn't seem (at first glance at least) all that great.

Joined Symbiote: +3.3 to Energy Weapons, Projectile Weapons, Warp Core Training, Engineering Training, and +6.7 to Operations (total +19.9).

Not bad but then when adding two you can't select Efficient (admit that the combo might then be unfair) but comparing them Efficient seems slightly better since it gives:
Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.
+5 bonus to Starship Shield, Engine, Energy Weapon, and Auxilary Systems Efficiency

Total, plus 20 and a slight edge. So am I missing something or does the Symbiote seem geared towards Science minded Captains? Sad face, I like engineering
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Doesn't JT get 5 traits. Even if one of them doesn't help space I'd say it still negates whatever edge you have from efficient.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I saw that too. Efficient seems to deal with how fast power is used, where as Joined Symbiote seems to improve how well the capt fights in space. How much the areas are improved in game is a mystery, but I am guessing not much. So the skills are not exactly equal.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Nope, just 4 traits total it's just the "Joined Symbiote" trait effects 5 skills. Someone mixed up the trait/skill thing back in the day.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerjd View Post
Nope, just 4 traits total it's just the "Joined Symbiote" trait effects 5 skills. Someone mixed up the trait/skill thing back in the day.
I see, I thought JT got the JT space trait you mentioned, the trill health regen one and got to pick 3 more. So only get to pick 2 more then?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerjd View Post
So I enetered my key and got ready to make my joined trill character and looking at the Joined Symbiote trait, it doesn't seem (at first glance at least) all that great.

Joined Symbiote: +3.3 to Energy Weapons, Projectile Weapons, Warp Core Training, Engineering Training, and +6.7 to Operations (total +19.9).

Not bad but then when adding two you can't select Efficient (admit that the combo might then be unfair) but comparing them Efficient seems slightly better since it gives:
Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.
+5 bonus to Starship Shield, Engine, Energy Weapon, and Auxilary Systems Efficiency

Total, plus 20 and a slight edge. So am I missing something or does the Symbiote seem geared towards Science minded Captains? Sad face, I like engineering
But since we don't really know how these skills affect gameplay who knows which is better.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Efficient boosts the 4 respective "efficiency" Commander Rank skills abilities, and may provide a boost to the respective power levels of the ship as well. I do not see the effects of that power right now on my Borg because I think I need to get to the commander rank first.

Joined Symbiote (JS) focuses on Lieutenant Rank abilities that are useful right away, no waiting, better fighting

Other than that until someone posts something more descriptive that's all the help I can give...
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm going to sound off on this too, as I'm interested in the distinction.

If the skills are more important, then the trait Joined Trills provide will be vastly superior. On the other hand, if that doesn't come into play until later...then regular efficient may be better.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTate View Post
But since we don't really know how these skills affect gameplay who knows which is better.
iirc energy weapons and projectile weapons is a direct % bonus on the damage.
the others are a bit more obscure though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeybarf View Post
Efficient boosts the 4 respective "efficiency" Commander Rank skills abilities, and may provide a boost to the respective power levels of the ship as well. I do not see the effects of that power right now on my Borg because I think I need to get to the commander rank first.

Joined Symbiote (JS) focuses on Lieutenant Rank abilities that are useful right away, no waiting, better fighting

Other than that until someone posts something more descriptive that's all the help I can give...
From testing the efficiency trait, it does not boost power levels. And it is either currently bugged or you have to have 1 pt in the Efficiency skills from the command tree for it to work. Efficiency is a waste, Warp Core training, Energy Weapons, and Projectiles will always be the better deal.