Lt. Commander
# 1 Thank You Cryptic
02-02-2010, 09:19 AM
First of all, I know there's been alot of hating on these forums, and I'm aware of the fact that I'll probably get flamed for this post. Those who do so can kindly go **** **********.

This is a sincere thank you to Cryptic, for what they have done for Star Trek fans.

I've been waiting for this game long before it was ever even in pre-production. I'm a child of the 90s, but I have the fondest of memories sitting on my dad's lap and watching the final seasons of TNG, discovering DS9, watching Voyager, and most recently, falling in love with Enterprise. Ever since those early days of first learning what Star Trek was about, I've always had childish dreams of captaining a Starfleet Cruiser, fighting Borg, Romulans, and Klingons. Many years ago, when this game was announced, I thought this dream might finally be realized. After years of following it's troubled development, I grew discouraged, but never gave up hope.

My history with MMOs can be summed up in two primary experiences. My time playing SWG pre-NGE, and my time spent in City of Heroes. I've played almost every other MMO on the market, but nothing has ever matched those two experiences. Until, I hope, now.

When Cryptic picked up STO, I was ecstatic. Yes, they were taking the game in a bold, and quite frankly, strange, new direction, but I kept up hope. I played STO at PAX out in Seattle, and met Daniel Stahl, and I realized that they knew what they were doing, and had nailed what I was looking for in a Star Trek game. I pre-ordered as soon as I could, and patiently awaited open beta.

Yes, the game has it's problems, both from a technical and cannonical stand point. Should a Miranda class be able to take on a Vor'Cha? No. Should there be a field of 50 Borg cubes sitting around resource nodes? No. But the fact remains, I'm flying a Starfleet vessel, exploring new worlds, fighting iconic enemies, and doing it with thousands of other people. At the end of the day, this is what I wanted, this is Star Trek, this is it.

Now yes, I've been playing STO for a few weeks, Open Beta, Headstart, but it's all seemed somewhat surreal. I'm holding my Collector's Edition in my hands now, I've looked through the art book, I've already passed along a buddy pass, I've entered my retail key. It's real now, it's happening, and I couldn't be more excited.

So again, yes, the game has it's issues, we have a long way to go before this vision is truly realized, but there's something very Star Trek about that, isn't there? This universe has always been about exploring strange new worlds, tackling problems unlike any humanity has ever faced, discovering something new. So it seems appropriate that Cryptic, a developer that like no other has always been about improvement, and development of a game after release, should be helming this project.

Enough rambling, I'm going to sit back in my Captain's (Futon) chair, watch some TNG on SyFy, and explore the universe from the bridge of the U.S.S. Apollo.

Thank you Cryptic, you've done us all a service, and I can't wait to see where you take us next.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Hear, hear!

Not much else to add without repeating what's already been said. I think Cryptic has done an amazing job. Every time I've had a chance to sit down and play during the beta, I've always had a blast, even in spite of the bug crushing, and I fully expect to have fun, even in spite of MMO launch issues. I'll get home from classes tonight and I'm going to finally set up my Joined Trill and kick back, relax, and kick some Orion butt.

But really, I want to go on record saying: Thank you, Cryptic, for what is amounting to an amazing game!