Lt. Commander
# 1 Mac OsX and Parallels
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi,

I was wondering, I have the latest version of Parallels, it came with the new laptop, the only reason I would have to splurge on Windows would be to play this game, would it be worth it? Does anyone know of any issues with playing Star Trek Online through Parallels? I really would appreciate any advice and suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 2 STO on a Mac
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Read the "Unofficial STO" thread, it works just fine for me!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I use Boot Camp on my MacBook because I didn't want to buy anything extra. If you have trouble with Parallels, you could always try going that way as well. It works rather well, even if it makes my beautiful MacBook into a horrible, self-hating computer of the night.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMcMann View Post
Read the "Unofficial STO" thread, it works just fine for me!
the thread link is in my signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_bitters
I use Boot Camp on my MacBook because I didn't want to buy anything extra. If you have trouble with Parallels, you could always try going that way as well. It works rather well, even if it makes my beautiful MacBook into a horrible, self-hating computer of the night.
Bootcamp install of WIndows will run it,... if you don't mine losing access to OSX, and having to buy and run Windows to play...

The Unofficial Mac Port, and the custom unsupported build of Crossover 8.2 that can run it... both run it decently... no Windows needed, no reboots needed...
Lt. Commander
# 5 No go
03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I've not been able to get STO to work with Parallels 5. It gets about 40-50% of the way through the loading screen and then freezes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I turned my speakers up and can hear some sort of windows sound FX at 45% of the loading screen, and it just hangs forever on ATARI.

I'm running the latest Parallels 5, with x64 Windows 7. I might try installing on Windows XP
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Ran in window mode and was able to see the Fatal Error popup.

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) while creating a texture (DSDERR_INVALIDCALL while creating 3D texture size 1 x 1 x 1 (1 mips, D3DFMT_A8L8), 3.23 GB memory available).

Technical Details: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL while creating 3D texture size 1 x 1 x 1 (1mips, D2DFMT_A8L8), 3.23 GB memory available
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSisco
Hi,

I was wondering, I have the latest version of Parallels, it came with the new laptop, the only reason I would have to splurge on Windows would be to play this game, would it be worth it? Does anyone know of any issues with playing Star Trek Online through Parallels? I really would appreciate any advice and suggestions.
There are two ways you can play STO on a mac(intel mac that is)

Bootcamp: You basically are creating a hard drive partition specifically for a windows install. Congrats, your mac is now a gaming pc.

The unofficial, unsupported mac client: I haven't tested this one, so quite frankly, i have no idea how well it works.

To make this very clear, you CAN NOT use a virtualization product(Parallels or other) to emulate windows and play games. You're essentially running windows as an app within OSX.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
To be more precise, there are actually two Wine options (both of which work fine): doh's Wineskin and a special build of Crossover Games that Codeweavers released.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
To echo Coderanger's comments, Wineskin (linked by doh123) is FREE and works. Codeweavers make a $30 Crossover Games software (that can run more than STO easily) and works. I have used both and my only comment is that there are a few minor (not game breaking in any way) issues on the Wineskin option that made it worth $15 (got it on sale) for me to buy the Crossover Games option. You can test both for FREE, the Codeweavers one will time out after 7 days, after which you need to pay.