Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrabincougar View Post
To make this very clear, you CAN NOT use a virtualization product(Parallels or other) to emulate windows and play games. You're essentially running windows as an app within OSX.
While it's true that Parallels doesn't yet run STO (because of the gfx card emulation isn't on STO's supported list) it's *not* true to say that you *can not* use a virtualization product to emulate windows and play games.

You very definitely can play City of Heroes in Parallels, for example, and I have also played several others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Better question, why the bloody **** would you? Parallels actually uses Wine to do its 3D translation too (or at least it is based on Wine code originally), so all you get is a slower version of the same thing :-P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Which is why i still say d3d isn't supported. It's not native. It's emulated.
It's silly and I shake my head at linux users daily as well.

Bootcamp was invented for a reason.
Use it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Better question, why the bloody **** would you? Parallels actually uses Wine to do its 3D translation too (or at least it is based on Wine code originally), so all you get is a slower version of the same thing :-P
Only one reason I can think of: it runs some things Wine does not. It may have been based on Wine (I don't know, but most pc emulators/virtualizers these days are) but it works at a considerably lower level now.

As one of the authors of the SoftWindows PC emulators back in the early 90's, I'm a little biased too :-)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
Which is why i still say d3d isn't supported. It's not native. It's emulated.
It's silly and I shake my head at linux users daily as well.

Bootcamp was invented for a reason.
Use it.
We've been through this before, though: sometimes, it's not convenient to reboot your machine and run Bootcamp. Sometimes, it's far better for us to use a tool like Wine (especially when it works pretty well).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
On one hand you have wine users.

on the other you have people building i7 extremes with 3 way SLI cards...

to each his own...

versatility vs performance I suppose
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
On one hand you have wine users.

on the other you have people building i7 extremes with 3 way SLI cards...

to each his own...

versatility vs performance I suppose
With STO, there isn't any performance difference using Wine compared to Bootcamp on the same machine.

Even if there were a difference, as you say, versatility counts for a lot.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Parallels actually uses Wine to do its 3D translation too (or at least it is based on Wine code originally)
Specifically, it's wined3d (the directx -> opengl translation layer from wine) but none of the rest of it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Quote:
To make this very clear, you CAN NOT use a virtualization product(Parallels or other) to emulate windows and play games. You're essentially running windows as an app within OSX.
That's nonsense. I played Dragons Age Origins, and **** both using Parallels 5. They ran great, fast, and rarely crashed. Unfortunately I have an apple RAID card installed and the damned Bootcamp doesn't have compatible drivers for it. And I'm definitely not going to install some random users MAC port. So I'm just crap out of luck for now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
Better question, why the bloody **** would you? Parallels actually uses Wine to do its 3D translation too (or at least it is based on Wine code originally), so all you get is a slower version of the same thing :-P
Lol. A dev got censored
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.