Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,670
# 81
01-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpg1usa View Post
This response lacks any compassion whatsoever! I feel sorry for you! I will pray for your soul! Someone send this person a PINK heart-shaped cookie! Someone else get them some Pepto Bismol!
Compassion has a time and place. I don't think this is one of them.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,447
# 82
01-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Now I had considered a ticket but to be frank, what would the explanation for the ticket be? A game mechanic that is not understood may or may not be functioning as intended but it is impossible to tell?

That said, would she be able to file the ticket as she is a pure F2P player?



Is this REALLY working as intended then? Surely there are better ways to measure involvement than just raw DPS comparisons in an "averaged" group. This does start to explain what happened in more detail though and draws the picture more clearly. She goes into this, fairly easy run, with a new ship she is still getting adjusted to, doesn't do phenomenol DPS, steps out just as the Staddi is showing up, and that drops the already low DPS into the fatal zone. Not a time measure then at all, and while it answers my question, it's not exactly a very reassuring answer.
Well some dps is to be expected, because if someone or something can simply just keep the ship a moving or pecking at a single key to keep off the afk penalty, it wouldn't really discourage people from trying to use that to leech with.
[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 379
# 83
01-17-2014, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Just ran Mirror universe with 2 friends of mine. We que up for this any chance we get as I'm running a fairly geared character this gives us a chance to run something quick, easy, and fun with a lot of explosions. One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty. This is completely ridiculous. I could understand a 20 minute penalty but this was just silly.

I purchased my lifetime membership a few months ago because I intended to invest time in this game PLAYING WITH MY FRIENDS. This however limits that capability as if they have anything come up our time gets robbed not just by a reasonable penalty marker but by a 2 hour long delay.

I really wish there was a refund department at this phase, seriously considering just leaving the game all together. I'm guessing this carries no weight with cryptic as they already have my money but I will NEVER suggest to anyone they purchase anything in this game so long as such an outrageous and unfair penalty exists. After all, the penalty in other online games is far lower or well balanced.

I get having a penalty, but this is just ridiculous. It isn't that hard to code the penalty to be 20 minutes from the time they leave the map for an AFK penalty.

Sincerely Your's
Disgruntled Paying Player
NO, this is done because of the lazy people that want to get something for nothing the AFK penalty is fair and should not be change. Too many time have I ran a STF or some other que and we have one person that just sits there and does nothing and get the same reward that the rest of us hard working players get NO MORE if you want to do something with friends do a private que.

And this is no worse than if you left a said que before it over i.e STF's
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42320274000&dateline=  1389855523
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22
# 84
01-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Quote:
NO, this is done because of the lazy people that want to get something for nothing the AFK penalty is fair and should not be change. Too many time have I ran a STF or some other que and we have one person that just sits there and does nothing and get the same reward that the rest of us hard working players get NO MORE if you want to do something with friends do a private que.

And this is no worse than if you left a said que before it over i.e STF's
I agree, no worse at all, and yet..... it receives a harsher penalty. Also again after the penalty is leveed private queing with that friend became disabled. It's overly harsh in that a comparable offense is given a lesser impact.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,720
# 85
01-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
I agree, no worse at all, and yet..... it receives a harsher penalty. Also again after the penalty is leveed private queing with that friend became disabled. It's overly harsh in that a comparable offense is given a lesser impact.
It's debatable as to whether it IS a comparable offense or not. Also what is or isn't overly harsh is completely a matter of opinion and therefore not up to the general player base to decide. If the devs say it is the the appropriate penalty, then it is the appropriate penalty.
It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.



And no repetitiveepic, I'm not sorry for any of my posts.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,135
# 86
01-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
I agree, no worse at all, and yet..... it receives a harsher penalty. Also again after the penalty is leveed private queing with that friend became disabled. It's overly harsh in that a comparable offense is given a lesser impact.
There is nothing wrong with the penalty as it is the only reason to get up set is if u ur self tryed to AFK mission n got stuck with 2 hours time out. As for ppl who quit pugs there is all ways a small chance the game will put someone in to the match. But if ur pugging u should only really join if u can make up for 1-2 people being under par. Of if like me n my orion empire fleet mate today doing cse make up for 2 ppl quiting the match cos 1 person was stuck loading. We even got the optional with 1 min left on the clock so 2 of us did a 5 man team mission with the optional. Its really not that hard if ur a goid player. There need to buff elite missions a little cos its getting to be a ealk in the park.

I was in my Ar'kiff n fleet mate was in the lock box voth ship he tanked i killed every thing that was threat to kang simple if u know wot ur doing.
Welcome to bugs online were we only fix the bugs you like, and will ignore the ones you hate.
These are the voyages of the USS Farmville. Her 5 year mission is to boldly farm where no one has farmed before.
Say No to ARK

Last edited by wilbor2; 01-18-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12,670
# 87
01-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetapipmac View Post
It's debatable as to whether it IS a comparable offense or not. Also what is or isn't overly harsh is completely a matter of opinion and therefore not up to the general player base to decide. If the devs say it is the the appropriate penalty, then it is the appropriate penalty.
One thing to consider is that there are some people insane enough to intentionally join missions that are short a player.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 22
# 88
01-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Quote:
It's debatable as to whether it IS a comparable offense or not. Also what is or isn't overly harsh is completely a matter of opinion and therefore not up to the general player base to decide. If the devs say it is the the appropriate penalty, then it is the appropriate penalty.
Yup, and this thread has people voicing opinions as to the harshness. It's a way to let the Devs know what people think of things. True my initial start was a bit too hot under the collar, but the intent it is turning out well enough. While the Devs ultimately are responsible for balancing the game, it is the general populations responsibility to voice their opinion on that balancing and provide a scope with which for the developers to understand the impact their balancing is having.

You could say that by not offering an opinion your shrugging off your responsibility to provide meaningful feedback.

Now, while technically all manner of thought can be said to be subjective lets look at the system from its current setup.

AFKing - Can/Does ruin matches because a spot for an active valuable player is taken away.

Early Leaving - Can/Does ruin matches because a potentially valuable player is taken away - depending the run even from a key task - and is not easily accounted for in the remaining players tactics.

Seems from a base level criteria the infringement shares many key characteristics in it's impact on the overall enjoyment of the game. Yet they have punishments that are not comparative.

That said, the AFK Penalty could be tweaked using an earlier members suggestion. Initial AFK Penalty resulting in no reward drop for the player in question. Second time offense in say 30 days resulting in a 1hr ban from that particular que. Third time offense resulting in a one hour Global Ban from Public Que. Fourth time offense the 2hr ban we currently have. Then escalate from there, with infringement removed monthly. This would provide a curve for those not even aware of the mechanic that is not so harshly punishing.

Mind you, the alternative of course would be to scale the early leave penalty to create some semblance of fairness. Which, honestly, I'd possibly be more up for at this phase. I've yet to be flagged AFK during a run so I had no idea the penalty existed in that extreme. However I was fully aware of the early leave penalty having experienced it first hand so far one time.

My point is that more than anything we have a system in place where one offense of comparable value is judged so much more harshly than another offense that it is unrealistic. Does it drive the message home? Certainly it does. However the message it drives home is of an un-thought-out reactionary system to something that should have been considered years before now.

Always consider how your new player is going to perceive any potential rule. This kind of thing needs to be taken into account. At the very least even an explanation of this rule plain and clear when a character hits level 50 would prepare them for such.

Not even that much is/was given. Should it be? Certainly.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 715
# 89
01-18-2014, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Now I had considered a ticket but to be frank, what would the explanation for the ticket be? A game mechanic that is not understood may or may not be functioning as intended but it is impossible to tell?

That said, would she be able to file the ticket as she is a pure F2P player?
Wait, What would the explanation be? !

You started the thread suggesting/implying that there was some sort of glitch that needed tweaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty!

You've made further statements supporting a supposed glitch hypothesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Except we aren't SURE it's DPS. It may be any number of criteria from number of enemy ships, to time on the cooldown after the mission spent AFK. We simply do not know the mechanics well enough to argue justification based on violation of a rule. I understand why they are guarding the rules, I'm not even suggesting they come clean with them, but I'm hopeful that someone will read this and if it is something hidden in there that is causing this unfairly that they tweak it. Remember, close of a mission even if you contributed 10kdps till that last second before the closing timer starts actives a 2minute timer. If you AFKed JUST as that timer starts your DPS could, in theory be halved. That wouldn't be enough to get you the penalty if it was just a DPS penalty, but we REALLY don't know that it is based on DPS. Also for all we know the logic system is doubly harsh at the end match timer. There is simply not enough conclusive evidence to say how the penalty is dealt and in this case then not enough to say why it was triggered.
I'm not gonna write the ticket for you, but if you really believe the possibility that something screwy happened in your incident, explain it on a ticket.

Cryptic has all the meta data of the incident. They keep everything. They can review exactly what happened and determine if something needs tweaking or not.

Infact, If I may be so bold, the comments you've made in this thread have hinted at the possibility of a glitch/glitches.

Perhaps to rally some support for change on a topic many are so polarized against you on? Who's to say? But at this point your argument is staring to turn towards opening a dialog to reduce the penalty because you perceive it as being too harsh.

That's pretty slick there.

If the whole point your argument devolves to this:
1. My friend went AFK and was ignorant of the consequences.
2. Therefore You personally think the penalty is too harsh.

I'm afraid you're not gonna rally much sympathy in these parts.

Because regarding #1. - Consider the penalty the education that going AFK is no longer tolerated. Live and learn and move on.

Regarding #2 That's your opinion, unfortunately ATM, you are in the minority.

AFKing is generally considered a despicable act.
I personally put it right up there with griefing and exploiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazinger2010 View Post
Always consider how your new player is going to perceive any potential rule. This kind of thing needs to be taken into account. At the very least even an explanation of this rule plain and clear when a character hits level 50 would prepare them for such.
Trying to gain something by exploiting, which is what AFKers were/are doing, (hence the penalty) is pretty common sense there bud. If new players are coming into this game with the intention to exploit or grief others, then who cares what their perception of the rules are? We don't want those kinds of players here.

If they are ignorant of the rules regarding something so obvious, rather than arguing over the penalty accept it, understand why it was put there, learn from it and move on.
The penalty is as harsh as it is, to deter, that's pretty clear cut there.
AFKing was really getting out of hand, understand this.

So you were inconvenienced for a couple of hours? That's nothing compared to the chaos that was going on before Cryptic finally did something about it. The size of the problem determined the response.

I've said all I care to on this subject. I'm starting to get that I'm talking to a wall feeling.

I hope you and your friend have learnt something about how AFKing is regarded in this game and Please don't do it again, other players don't like it .

I wish you and your friend a happy gaming experience.
"And at Warp 10, we're going nowhere mighty fast."-Scotty

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 01-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 179
# 90
01-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Compassion has EVERY time and place. I know this is one of them.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM.