Lt. Commander
# 1 Goldseller
02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Please do something about these guys, I've gotten 4 emails in the last few hours. It's getting kind of ridiculous.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Okay listen ... I may be drunk off my ass but I used to work for WoW as an Account Investigator. Basically all I did was investigate "hacks" in WoW. Most were legit and some were BS family or guild drama but oh well ...

Basic fact is that any successful MMO is going to have Chinese gold farmers. It's not fun ... it's not pretty ... and it sure as **** isn't cool ... but it's the way the world works. If there is profit involved it's where they will rear their ugly little heads. In WoW it was amazing to me that they even still existed. As an Account Investigator most of my time was spent looking at and banning Chinese IPs and tracing their accounts. The problem is that most of the accounts they used were legit accounts that were compromised because of a trojan intercepting their account info. Now sure ... most of those trojans were gained through devious means ... as in the player going to a website to buy gold ... but the problem is still there.

There will always be farmers because there will always be players who will buy the gold. The best Cryptic can really do is enact rules like Blizzard did. Accounts that are temp accounts can't message or send mail to others. They can't message others, ect.

Even then, as an Account Investigator the Chinese farmers still bought accounts and paid for 3 month memberships. Ever wonder why WoW was the top seller for years on end? Blame the Chinese. Every account I banned they bought 3 more. Every account I turned off they bought 3 more 3 month cards. The average life span of a pure Chinese farmer account was 2 weeks. They all had 3 month pre-paid cards, though ...

It's an evil that will always be there because of the profits they gain ... it sucks but the best Cryptic can do lesson it, not get rid of it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 11:17 AM
just delete those emails. if u can learn to ignore them they will go away and bother someone else. if we all ignored them they wouldnt exist but then there are those that have to have the best of the best right here and now and have the means and the will to spend money on them. thus lies the dilema
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
7 sofar it starting to pi** me off
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Well my intricate reply was dwarfed by the simple and pure nature of biggduece ... ignore them. That's the best you could do. They only have a market if people buy ... so don't buy.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 11:32 AM
well there's got to be a good way to filter the emails before delivery, much the same way that email filters work in regular mail. Look for certain keywords such as "buy gold", "Stogold" etc and remove them or put them in a moderation queue for banning.

I would think that accounts used to funnel gold to buyers would stand out like a sore thumb in the database, ban those accounts and ban the accounts of buyers. Who's gonna spend money buying gold if you are risking a ban to your own account.

Personally I could never understand why somebody would spend real money to buy "fake" money. This is a game, the acqusition of that fake money is supposed to fun (and the reason to play) but I suppose some people like shortcuts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
pretty much Kosh.

Not that I am the most innocent. I too am guilty in the past in other games of buying gold or whatever the currency is in said game. I have also spent money on accounts in the past. But I have also learned my lesson in the fact that it was a total waste of my money. Seeing that I dont play those games anymore now and I could have spent my money on better things. But o well.

I guess some people see playing these games as a hobby as I do and when you have a hobby you spend money on it. Some just spend more than others. And some do and then dont admit it. I will admit it. I will not apologize for it tho. Its something I thought was a good thing to do at the time I did for something I like to have called my hobby. But I am not going to be spending my hard earned money for virtual goods from gold sellers anymore thats for sure.

But then again whats the difference in buying and paying for the in-game store items vs buying it from a website? Are they both not virtual items that do not actually exist? ITs a thin line between lawyer mumbo-jumbo and who actually owns the rights of something. See game companies do not want anyone else to turn a profit from something they are producing. They want to rake in all the profits its that simple. So unless games themselves start offering gold for sale and cheaper than Ching Chang chong and his buddies huddled over 20 plus cpus over in Asia then it will keep going. And people like myself can get themselves to stop using their services then they will go away eventually.

But seriously just delete those emails. I am sure Cryptic will come up with something to filter out spams from gold sellers just as all the other online games have done lately.

Its just the first day of the game and I am sure Cryptic is more concerned that the game is running smoothly and that all their customers can actually play even tho some of their customer base might be gold sellers.

Have some patience Daniel son and it will work out for the best.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Let me also remind you of one thing ... companies never hire more than they think is needed. It only makes sense.

WoW eventually started hiring from a temp agency to fulfill it's needed Gm roles. What a terrible day that was ... anyway, the point is that Chinese farmers are low on the list of things to care about. Mostly because they care about bugs and problems affecting you and your game play.

So please, as a favor to a former GM for WoW ,,, cut them some slack. You have no idea how much crap they are going through right now.

The publishers have probably pushed the launched for profit reasons ... the devs are doing their best. Give them enough time and they'll listen, follow up, and understand your issues.

WoW Devs played the game and eventually read the forums. Give the game the time I can't (because I'm a cheap ass).
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
lastly its the economy of the whole world not just in the US. People are just trying to make a buck and if they can spam 1 thousand email accounts and get just 5 to spend some money on their website with the chance of perhaps infecting their computers with keyloggers right from within the website that sells the gold. That way not only do they get some money from the gold bought they also get a chance to steal an account and take that persons gold and sell it again. its a vicious cycle and a very lucrative business. I am sure some of those websites can make up to 100plus $$$ a year if not more. then they sell the accounts they stole to other people and those people that bought them dont even realize this.

Just the way of the online games and nothing much can be done about it. U get rid of 1 and theres 5 more to take his/her place.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Cryptic could pursue any number of options that wouldn't hurt gameplay much. Here are a few off the top of my head;

1 - Make all in-game currencies non-transferrable (except through the purchase of items from the auction house).

2 - Limit PMs to people who have ACCEPTED your friend invite, until level 8 (or so).

3 - Limit mails to 5 per day.

4 - Investigate anyone that sends over 50 emails in 2 minutes (obvious macro-mails or botting).

5 - Allow players to set up their own word-search email filter, so we can enter words such as 'buy', 'stogold', etc.