Ensign
# 1 Failed objectives?
01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to make an objective fail... with consequences, and possible mission failure. This system seems so linear and there's no sense of danger/possibility of failure... does anyone remember that "fake" Twilight zone spoof in futurama with the gambler that always wins... finding playing somewhat without meaning... hello STO foundry....

Also, dev's.... please, give us some why of tracking variables/state/something... I mean seriously?
Empire Veteran
# 2
01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think it will have an actual fail like Cryptic missions can have. Because it would frustrate people too much.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 3
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Well, you can have failure paths in a Dialog With Contact tree, but that won't fail the entire mission; it'll just take you back to the start of the dialog tree. So, I usually don't even bother with that.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
01-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Any step that appears on the timeline must occur and can't permanently be failed. That said, many things can be done outside the timeline through the use of triggers.

@greendragoon
Ensign
# 5
01-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Can you provide an example?
Captain
# 6
01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
I managed to make a fail outcome for a puzzle , where an explosion will kill a character when you choose the wrong option

Its all done outside of the storyboard , and uses spawning objects on the map to make debris seem to fall on the NPC , and then a blastdoor blocks the corridor so its blocked off, in reality the NPC contact is still there, but not as far as the player knows

I can't make it change the story outcome really, but it can change the tone of the mission along the way , and it can change what dialog the player gets to see

During this Foundry Bonus Weekend, don't just choose the shortest missions, choose to play the best missions. Have more fun, get more marks!

List of great missions: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=286621
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whymustihaveone2 View Post
Can you provide an example?
If you'd look at the Synergy Playthrough of CSG1 you see me used this kind of technique being used multiple times.

Like when you need to talk to the freighters; this is only possible when you choose the correct action with the SB officer.

Or when you need to save the Caitian, you can actually save her but if you make the wrong choice, she dies (only in dialog).

You can add some actions on it as well. I've used this extensively on CSG2 (published, but unfinished); specifically creating two different ways to play one map, with totally different actions, depending what you've chosen.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^
Rihannsu
# 8
01-16-2014, 04:20 PM
You CAN make the message uncompletable by hiding an objective though. I wouldn't recommend it since the only way to reset is to beam up and back down.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
# 9
01-16-2014, 08:08 PM
I had a fail mechanic when a player could fail in saving a contact. If it blew up the mission was incompleteable.

The sheer rage it generated was enough for me to repeal it for the sake of story.

There are ways to do it, just know, if you do it make sure it is worth it to you.
Ensign
# 10
01-17-2014, 03:46 AM
I watched the playthrough video and most of another one.... Helped a lot. I'm starting to wrap my head around how I want to handle it, I think having the side quest optionals with possible fail conditions will suffice if the narrative is compelling enough. Thank you to everyone that responded.