Career Officer
# 1 T5 Starbase Total Conversions
01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
There was talk under Stahl about giving Romulan heavy fleets the option to convert their T5 bases to a totally Romulan design. I like this idea although I can recognize there may be interpersonal fleet issues with cosmetic additions. (Then again, the same could be said of standard fleet cosmetic projects.)

As we're moving forward with a new EP, I wanted to bring the idea up again and suggest expanding it out with optional conversions.

As I see it, this would probably apply to Tier 5 bases. It would change the look of the exterior and map used for Ops. Fleet special projects would need to display on all alternate setups.

Here's what I would like as options:

- Federation (Standard)
- Klingon (Standard)
(I think you need to include the basic versions as options so fleets can switch back. This is just good sense as it used to upset people that the Miranda, if dismissed, was not reclaimable.)

- Romulan (Standard)

Recolors would include alternate LCARS/UIs and ambient NPC traffic.

- Reman (Romulan Recolor)
- Tal Shiar (Romulan Recolor - Darker)
- TNG (Federation Recolor - Galaxy Colors)
- The Motion Picture (Federation Recolor - White)
- Orion (Klingon Recolor)
- Gorn (Klingon Recolor)

- Assimilated
- TOS (Federation Color, Variation of Drozana Past Exterior)
- TOS (Romulan Color)
- TOS (Klingon Color)
- Ferengi
- Non Aligned (Variation on Ferengi)
- Cardassian (A Nor like DS9; comes with promenade -- good chance to let Taco revamp the DS9 interior map and remaster Cardassian sector missions)
- Temporal (Romulan Color)
- Temporal (Federation Color)
- Temporal (Klingon Color)

Maybe to offset development costs and prevent too much fleet tension, introduce NPC bases around the game in each of these designs and have a reputation where each character gets to pick one of these bases as a place they can transwarp to. A reputation respec would clear selection as I see it because the way I'd handle it is to have it so that the final rep tier for "Allied Base" involves picking one of twelve traits, which would dictate which NPC base you can transwarp to.
Commander
# 2
01-18-2014, 01:44 PM
sound very nice - as fleet project and changeable on will ?
Republic Veteran
# 3
01-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I posted my thoughts on this a couple of months ago:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=904841

In other words, yes, I whole-heartedly support the ability to Romulanize my Romulan fleet's Romulan fleet starbase.

Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
The saying "There are no women on the internet" is sexist nonsense. We do exist, and we also play MMOs. Do not misgender me; I am female.
Captain
# 4
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
I posted my thoughts on this a couple of months ago:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=904841

In other words, yes, I whole-heartedly support the ability to Romulanize my Romulan fleet's Romulan fleet starbase.
Unfortunately the way Cryptic implemented the Rommies, doesn't allow for this. They're tied to either Feds, or Klinks. The game doesn't recognize them as a "full" faction. They should've introduced them as their own faction with Tal Shiar, or NRR affiliations. Although the obvious choice, it was probably beyond Cryptic's technical capabilities. They only really needed something to push Romulan lockbox ships, anyhow. Like everything else in this game, it doesn't have to make sense.
Republic Veteran
# 5
01-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
Unfortunately the way Cryptic implemented the Rommies, doesn't allow for this. They're tied to either Feds, or Klinks. The game doesn't recognize them as a "full" faction. They should've introduced them as their own faction with Tal Shiar, or NRR affiliations. Although the obvious choice, it was probably beyond Cryptic's technical capabilities. They only really needed something to push Romulan lockbox ships, anyhow. Like everything else in this game, it doesn't have to make sense.
Yeah, you didn't read my link, did you?

And apparently, you didn't see what was said by ... Brandon? Taco? I forget now, but somebody on Staff said that it is something they could look into if there were sufficient demand.

Unfortunately, many people have failed to express a desire one way or the other, but simply chose to poo-poo the idea because they believed "it can't be done" or "it won't be done," and if enough of you continue to express no opinion due to a negative attitude, it becomes a nocebo effect, or a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The saying "There are no women on the internet" is sexist nonsense. We do exist, and we also play MMOs. Do not misgender me; I am female.
Career Officer
# 6
01-18-2014, 03:55 PM
This could be a potent addition to the customization of our personal social spaces. One of the successful things about games Cryptic have worked on in the past have been the customization options for Bases and Supergroups in CoH.

By letting us at least change the color pallet and feel of each Starbase it expands on our options, makes hanging out in the Starbase more likely! I for one have never understood why so many people in my fleet don't take more advantage of the Fleet Holdings and areas as Social Zones. I have to remind my fleet that the Dilithium Mine has function.
Captain
# 7
01-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by protogoth View Post
Yeah, you didn't read my link, did you?

And apparently, you didn't see what was said by ... Brandon? Taco? I forget now, but somebody on Staff said that it is something they could look into if there were sufficient demand.

Unfortunately, many people have failed to express a desire one way or the other, but simply chose to poo-poo the idea because they believed "it can't be done" or "it won't be done," and if enough of you continue to express no opinion due to a negative attitude, it becomes a nocebo effect, or a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I read your OP. I didn't get as far as Cryptic's response. I have however been in this rodeo long enough to know that when Cryptic responds with something along the lines of "Well, maybe, at some point in the future", it's Crypticspeak for "Yeah, about that, probably not gonna happen." I'm still waiting for customizable ship interiors. Those were supposed to happen before Starbases. I'd settle for just allowing everybody to wear the same uniform. Now if they can't do that, what makes you think they're gonna re-code Starbases?
Republic Veteran
# 8
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
I read your OP. I didn't get as far as Cryptic's response. I have however been in this rodeo long enough to know that when Cryptic responds with something along the lines of "Well, maybe, at some point in the future", it's Crypticspeak for "Yeah, about that, probably not gonna happen." I'm still waiting for customizable ship interiors. Those were supposed to happen before Starbases. I'd settle for just allowing everybody to wear the same uniform. Now if they can't do that, what makes you think they're gonna re-code Starbases?
Cryptic's response was not posted in my thread (I've gradually come to the conclusion that nobody on the Staff and none of the Mod team pays much attention to anything in the Romulan Gameplay subforum unless a ticket is sent in to report some violation of the ToS), but was stated some time before that elsewhere (probably in STO General Discussion). But your reply quoted above was more of the same "it's never gonna happen" stuff. I refuse to accept the message of defeatism you have preached. Several flaws exist in your presentation, not least of which is the assumption that Cryptic "could not" make the Romulans a full faction and that their current status "doesn't allow for" what I've suggested. On the contrary, three-way factions are not particularly difficult to develop or implement, and my suggestion is merely a question of aesthetics, which is easy enough to accomplish without having to rebuild everything from the ground up as you seem to believe (which leads to my conclusion that you didn't read the post I linked, because if you had, you would know that your assertion that it's impossible is ludicrous).

Last edited by protogoth; 01-19-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Career Officer
# 9
01-19-2014, 12:36 AM
That would be neat. I don't expect it to happen, though, due to the amount of work involved.
Career Officer
# 10
01-19-2014, 06:47 AM
I'm not sure if it could be done, but what it wouldn't hurt to see is to give T5 Fleets an option to relocate or duplicate. If there is a Fleet that has reached T5, maybe allow for a duplication of that Fleet?

Throw the duplicate into the Tau Dewa Sector and change it's appearance to suit. Contributions and the like would still act as a whole, single fleet, it's just (from a Romulan perspective) you'd be going to Tau Dewa each time instead of Erandi.

Makes sense? I think so.