Captain
# 41
01-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake721 View Post
I have yet to see mentioned in this thread the use or availability of the NOP and public service channels. I am in a small fleet of 8 and we have a tier 4 starbase and tier 2 on the other holdings and everyone in my fleet has obtained all the Elite gear and consoles and Boffs etc by asking for invites on the NOP and public service channels. There are many large tier 5 fleets with completed holdings that will grant you free access. Granted for the solo player with no fleet credits and no fleet provisions you are out of luck. But a Tier 1 fleet that has provisions and it's members have donated and they have fleet credits can have access to all the top gear in the game.
Then you are not looking hard enough since it has been mentioned already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
The duty of small fleets is to get each Fleet Holding to Tier 1 and run provisions. Then inform the Fleet Members of the various free services available to them that will grant them Fleet Equipment that won't be available to their fleet for years or never. The only thing not available to small fleets is Fleet Ships, but fleet members can temporarily leave their fleet to get them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardat View Post
You can also join "NoP Public Service" channel where invites are given out freely to anyone who asks (so long as the right people are online). There should be a thread about it somewhere here on the forums.
Captain
# 42
01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
I dont really understand the problem. Any Fleet with T1 in everything -which is really easy to accomplish with 5 to 10ppl- has access to T1-T5 content (except ships).
How?
Run provision projects and let other fleets invite you to their bases, were you can shop at their vendors.
The most renown channel for that is NoP Public Service, but there are others out there.

And thats why I dont understand the complain, since the only thing requiring a big fleet are fleet ships. I know, it has been mentioned before, but it seems you dont see how it pulverizes your premise.
It's new? NERF IT TILL IT BLEEDS

PWE proudly presents STO:Season 9.x: The Big Nerf.
Dil-sinks, EC-Value-Nerf and player satisfaction Nerf (a.k.a. Crafting Revamp), join the most epic grind ever avaiable in STO...
Starfleet Veteran
# 43
01-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwhity View Post
I dont really understand the problem. Any Fleet with T1 in everything -which is really easy to accomplish with 5 to 10ppl- has access to T1-T5 content (except ships).
How?
Run provision projects and let other fleets invite you to their bases, were you can shop at their vendors.
The most renown channel for that is NoP Public Service, but there are others out there.

And thats why I dont understand the complain, since the only thing requiring a big fleet are fleet ships. I know, it has been mentioned before, but it seems you dont see how it pulverizes your premise.
^ This.
The whole it's ' the big guys' holding the little un's back thing is a bit over-exaggerated when there are so many fleets out there that allow people free access to their stores
12th Fleet
Rear Admiral , Engineering Division
U.S.S. Sheffield N.C.C. 92016
Career Officer
# 44
01-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I understand the frustration of a small fleet moving along ever so slowly with the fleet tiers compared to a large fleet.

However, taking/asking for a shorter path does not make it the right path. Just like in RL, it often takes effort to achieve something.

And when you achieve that something (which took effort), you savour it far longer and intenser than when you get instant gratification.

If you know you have a small fleet, you know it will take longer (and more effort) to complete the higher tier projects. So this fact you either have to:
  • (a) accept, or;
  • (b) see if you can grow a little.

If I was in a small fleet myself, I would be damn proud of reaching T5. I think it earns more respect from yourself, your fleet members and from the community ("those guys did that with that size?!?").

And as far as the fleet gear goes, I agree with several posts in this thread. Plebs... ermmm... Fleet members spend more. Right or wrong, that's just simple "kapitalist" economics .

I know it doesn't solve anything, but I just wanted to put in how I feel about this.
Republic Veteran
# 45
01-19-2014, 11:04 AM
One of the problems I am very much aware of in this game... Alts. As in "they seriously expect me to grind all these rep projects and fleet projects across 10 alts? Who has time for that?"

Simply put: Very few.

I have two main toons and a bunch of "other" toons I play for fun. The two main toons are maxed out with fleet-gear and rep gear to a point... I'm finished with Omega and pushing top-T on the rest.

The others? I grind them casually. One is entirely fleet gear and will be nothing but. Another, a combination of fleet gear and exchange items. Special-packs for the win.

One is up to T3 in Romulan, another is slowly picking away at the Tholian stuff.

To me this is much more fun than trying to max out 10-20 alts across all reputation bands and fleet tiers.

I think people need to step back and realize this game can be plenty fun to play if you don't have maximum top-end-everything. Hell I routinely clean house in ISE with ships that are not UltraPurple DPS Barges. So do other people.

Take a deep breath, realize that the Top Tier stuff is nice but you don't NEED ALL OF IT to enjoy the game.

Suddenly, small fleets become more fun. You can casually grind here and there... have the folks at NoP help you get other items... And you can work on whichever reps are the most FUN for you to play.
-------------
ISE ISE Ba-bee. "If you got the Borg yo... I'll solve 'em check out this shot while my torpedos dissolve 'em"
Captain
# 46
01-19-2014, 11:08 AM
As far as small fleets being completely screwed over, one of the first fleets to get to Tier 5 Shipyard was a 2 man fleet if I recall correctly. It does not matter about the size of the fleet, but how many active contributors that are in the fleet. Sometimes the only reason why a Fleet is doing so well is because of just one or two people and the others are just along for the ride.
Ensign
# 47
01-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I understand that you want everything handed to you on a shinny platter...But then again if you want the nice shinnys dont you think that you would have to work for them i mean really work for them....If you want things handed to you go play WoW....There all you have to do is grind gear and thats it.....Boring lame........Where in STO you grind gear but the end result is a accomplishment in doing so....
Career Officer
# 48
01-19-2014, 12:59 PM
With the wealth of fleets offering access, the only thing a small fleet member can't get, without leaving, is fleet ships.

Well, just not all the fleet ships.

A small fleet can get to tier one or two shipyard easily enough.

Tier three is a bit harder bit also doable.

That gets you a lot of nice ships.

And there has to be some reward for getting to tier 5.

Stop fretting over the destination and enjoy the ride, there are enough goodies on the way.
Career Officer
# 49
01-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragamites View Post

TLDR
So lets recap:

Ground advantage goes to Embassy and Spire Kits vs Anything available anywhere else and access to a DOff officer buff over others.

Space advantage goes to Fleet Ships, Atmospheric Training and again the advantage of a DOff officer.
Get it through your head, Cryptic WANTS you to join megafleets. That's ALWAYS been very, very clear. Megafleets serve many tasks for Cryptic, they promote higher retention, they promote lockbox and lobi sales by making it so if one in a fleet gets such a ship, everyone in the fleet is more likely to be exposed to it and want it. Why do you think you feel pushed to join a large fleet? Its not by chance, its intentional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Career Officer
# 50
01-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragamites View Post
How does a player compete with advanced Fleet players?
Take out your wallet and start dropping huge sums of cash to buy zen and convert it to dilithium. That's what Cryptic/PWE want the players to do.